Thread: Wallabies take pay cut

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies take pay cut

Roje Adaimy,
    AAP
    Updated October 23, 2013, 1:09 pm

Wallabies players have agreed to a pay cut for at least the next two years, with Test match payments to be slashed from $13,100 to $10,000.

The Australian Rugby Union (ARU), the Rugby Union Players' Association (RUPA) and five Australian Super Rugby franchises on Wednesday signed off on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement to replace the last deal struck almost a decade ago.

The new CBA is set to save the ARU more than 10 per cent of its player payment costs.

The cash-strapped code said match payments for nationally-contracted Wallabies players will be reduced to $10,000 from next year until the end of 2017 - a drop of about $50,000 a year for a player involved in every Test.

Assembly allowances for training camps and Test matches will also be cut.

But the RUPA have negotiated an increase in the minimum individual player salaries for all Super Rugby squad players, as well as boosting their share of gross player revenue from 26 per cent to 29 per cent.

Non-nationally contracted Wallabies will get an increase of $2000 to $12,000 a Test in 2016 and 2017.

And for the first time, the new CBA also includes a $5 million salary cap for each of Australia's five Super Rugby teams per season.

ARU chief executive Bill Pulver said the new agreement required significant compromises from all parties.

"I must say I've been delighted with the willingness on behalf of the players to accept compromises which are clearly supporting the financial health of the game," he told reporters in Sydney.

"There are a number of new initiatives that we would like to launch in order to improve the future of rugby in Australia, and I can confidently tell you that the players are certainly pulling their weight in terms of supporting a path towards those outcomes."

While the ARU opted against introducing incentive-based match payments for players as called for by Wallabies great Nick Farr-Jones, Pulver said he would not rule out such a concept when the next CBA is up for discussion.

"In a commercial sense I do appreciate the benefits of a basic pay-for-performance concept - whether you work in rugby or in the corporate world," he said.

"But at this particular juncture I'm delighted with the outcome. I have zero concern about whether the Wallaby players are putting in all of the effort required to win games.

"I see the way they respond when they've lost games. I have no concern at all about the fact that they are performing to the absolute best of their ability.

"To date, we just haven't been good enough to win these competition games. But we'll get there."

RUPA chief executive Greg Harris said the game's elite players understood the financial constraints facing the code and the need to tighten the purse strings.

"They viewed it as a situation to take a little bit of short-term pain in the view of getting some longer-term gains - and some immediate gains, as far as raising the minimum salaries for players," Harris said.

The CBA also includes minimum workplace standards for the Australian men's and women's Rugby Sevens squads, an agreement to design a player draft for first-year professional contracts and the need to improve player development through a third-tier national rugby competition - which Pulver hopes to kick off next year.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...-take-pay-cut/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Veteran
    vCash
    the most interesting was the part about the draft... i would love more information on how that could work.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    and the salary cap, guess that will kick in the year after once all the Tah favoured deals have expired.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    and the salary cap, guess that will kick in the year after once all the Tah favoured deals have expired.
    More like it will kick in next year giving the Tahs time to sign up their superstar squad to 5 year 8 million dollar contracts........probably all subsidized by the ARU

C'mon the

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Results based would wake them up.
    $10000 for a win and $5000 for a loss.

Would see a full 80 minutes played then.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    they get paid for a win, they pay back for a loss

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I dont get it.

If the majority of Wallabys receive a ARU Top up. What is the match payment for?

If the Players had to pay for their air fares and their accommodations, meals and their drinks for hydration before during and after the match I can understand the need for compensation for expenses incurred.

But they don't.

Lets pick a player. Quade Cooper.

Queensland Reds pay him $500,000 for the year and he gets an ARU Top Up payment of $500,000 and then on top of that he gets Match payments. Plus any 3rd party deals.

(I am guessing about how much money Quade is being paid by the Reds/ARU)

IF they got a bonus for winning? I am cool for that. But 10-15k just for showing up. UNACCEPTABLE.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Hardly just for showing up.

It's for the time away from the Reds (different sponsorship), all the training, preparation.

Your work pays you when they send you on a training course, they pay you whilst you practice what you have learnt from the training course, and then they pay you to use that skill for their benefit.

The system is the same, and fair. Though I think match payments should be smaller, and have win bonuses attached. Same way some employees get bonuses from their companies if they have performed well.

WARURA Referee
    I do it because I love the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyRef View Post
    Seems like it given the results this year

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyRef View Post

It's for the time away from the Reds (different sponsorship), all the training, preparation.

Your work pays you when they send you on a training course, they pay you whilst you practice what you have learnt from the training course, and then they pay you to use that skill for their benefit.

The system is the same, and fair. Though I think match payments should be smaller, and have win bonuses attached. Same way some employees get bonuses from their companies if they have performed well.
    Isnt that what they get their ARU Top up for?

I can understand one or the other - I do not see the need for both

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Isnt that what they get their ARU Top up for?

I can understand one or the other - I do not see the need for both
    Probably put in that blasted players Union

I can see how it work for a player who is not currently earning an ARU top up though

vCash
    What about QC who was dropped due to "toxic " comment and still picks up $500,00 for doing FA!
    If they get ARU top ups why give them match payments as well? The ARU pays you X amount to play for the Wallabies. End of story and negotiation!

May the FORCE be with you!