Thread: Vernon Reid appointed new CEO of Hong Kong rugby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Vernon Reid appointed new CEO of Hong Kong rugby

Vernon Reid appointed new CEO of Hong Kong rugby
    Australian with vast experience both as an administrator and player has been hired to run the Hong Kong Rugby Football Union

Staff Reporter

HKRFU chairman has announced the appointment of Vernon Reid as the body's new CEO. Photo: SCMP Pictures

The Hong Kong Rugby Football Union has announced the appointment of Vernon Reid as its new chief executive officer.

Reid comes with vast experience in Australia, having been chief executive of the Western Force Super 15 franchise and the Western Australia Rugby Union (RugbyWA) after a 20-year career as a player at club level.

His wealth of sports management and marketing expertise spans high-performance sport, grass-roots development and includes experience in facilities development and management. He has been appointed for a three-year term and will assume his duties in mid-November.

“I am delighted to accept this exciting position. Rugby in Hong Kong has a vibrant future and it is a privilege to lead the HKRFU as it embarks on a new growth strategy and cements itself as the leading rugby nation in Asia,” Reid said.

HKRFU chairman Trevor Gregory announced the appointment on Thursday, saying: “Having just celebrated our 60th anniversary, the HKRFU and Hong Kong rugby has never been in better shape and we look forward to continuing the strong growth we are experiencing in the game we love so much. In Vern Reid we believe we have found the appropriate person to help us execute our strategic plan.

“It identifies several focus areas, including the need to develop more facilities to accommodate the rapid growth in local rugby, raising domestic standards and creating new initiatives for fifteens rugby together with maximising the Hong Kong Sports Institute platform for sevens, while furthering our position as an integral part of Hong Kong and enhancing the union’s community and government outreach.

“Vern’s experience as CEO of the Western Force and RugbyWA is uniquely suited to our requirements. He is particularly familiar with the challenges of simultaneously developing community, domestic and high performance rugby. We believe that he will be an invaluable asset for our continued growth.”

The HKRFU conducted a four-month executive search and choose Reid from more than 60 applicants. He replaces Ian McMahon, who left the position in June.

http://www.scmp.com/sport/hong-kong/...ong-kong-rugby

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    They might need our left over stickers before long

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    "Vast experience" in how NOT to run a rugby franchise???!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Senior Player
    vCash
    The mind boggles how someone with his inept abilities is given another high profile job
    surely they do reference checks google and speak to industry insiders so you get a proper feel for his suitability for the job.

I believe that I could do just as good a job growing the game of rugby in Hong Kong I would do it for an awful lot less than the new man

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post

I believe that I could do just as good a job growing the game of rugby in Hong Kong I would do it for an awful lot less than the new man
    But do you have the right connections, old boy?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player
    vCash
    No sadly I don't

Didn't go to the right school clearly