Thread: Sports told to ditch junk food

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Sports told to ditch junk food

Cathy O'Leary
    Medical Editor,
    The West Australian
    Updated October 11, 2013, 2:35 am

WA's health promotion agency has warned three sporting groups still funded by alcohol or junk food companies that public opinion is against their sponsorship deals.

Healthway has written to the WA Football Commission, WA Little Athletics and Rugby WA, telling them they need to stop being "captive" to sponsors such as burger giant McDonald's.

Chairwoman Rosanna Capolingua said new independent market research showed most people supported the move by other sporting codes and groups to ditch alcohol and fast-food sponsors in return for Healthway funding.

A survey of 1012 West Australians last month by Painted Dog for the McCusker Centre for Action on Alcohol and Young People found 76 per cent support for the WA Cricket Association's recent move to take sponsorship money from Healthway instead of unhealthy sponsors.

Four out of five people surveyed also supported sports such as rugby union, the AFL and Little Athletics promoting healthy messages instead of alcohol and junk food.

Dr Capolingua said the number of WA sports that promoted alcohol and junk food through sponsorship agreements had reduced markedly over the past few years and there were now only a few that continued to do so.

"We would encourage those sports that have not yet moved on this to do so because public opinion will be clearly on their side," she said.

"I have written to the major sports that remain captive of alcohol and junk food sponsors to let them know about the latest survey results.

"In the end, it is the alcohol and junk food companies that should be ashamed of their tactics."

McCusker Centre director Mike Daube said the survey showed some sports were out of kilter with public opinion.

"Surely it is time for Little Aths and the AFL to give up their addiction to fast food and alcohol, and start promoting health instead," he said.

Two months ago, public health experts attacked WA Little Athletics' decision to continue accepting McDonald's sponsorship.

But the athletics group said McDonald's was a long-term partner and there had been very few complaints from parents.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...tch-junk-food/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    RugbyWA served us meat pies and sausage rolls at the member forum - food of champions!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanny State wowser View Post
    "In the end, it is the alcohol and junk food companies that should be ashamed of their tactics."
    What a load of crap

Champion
    vCash
    So let's take a sledgehammer to everybody who has a pizza or maccas perhaps once in a blue moon and who enjoys the odd pint responsibly, just because there are those who eat junk food daily and get smashed and obnoxious when they drink.

Total Prohibition never works.

What about using healthway funding to educate those few into responsible eating and drinking?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    What a load of crap
    Maybe including some more fibre or vegetables in your diet will fix that...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    So let's take a sledgehammer to everybody who has a pizza or maccas perhaps once in a blue moon and who enjoys the odd pint responsibly, just because there are those who eat junk food daily and get smashed and obnoxious when they drink.

Total Prohibition never works.

What about using healthway funding to educate those few into responsible eating and drinking?
    Spot on 100%

Veteran
    vCash
    in the Manduarah Coles (the one in the big shopping centre), there was a junk food free check out which didn't have all the lollies and crap. Interesting idea, I wonder what the intention behond it is and whether people will line up longer to go through it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    I used to think it was about education, but now most people know they shouldn't give their kids fruit loops for breakfast everyday , but sadly they still continue to do so. Not sure what the answer is.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Are you with HBF

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    I used to think it was about education, but now most people know they shouldn't give their kids fruit loops for breakfast everyday , but sadly they still continue to do so. Not sure what the answer is.
    IMO that's a sign that the parents need to learn how to discipline the their kids

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    IMO that's a sign that the parents need to learn how to discipline the their kids
    by threatening to with-hold their fruit loops?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I really appreciate the efforts and length maccas go to for the public, not just sports, but fundraising and the like for events and charities.
    I think people need to get off their high horse, yeah, maccas deep fry their chips, but they also constantly tell kids to run around more, get outdoors and be healthy little vegemites.

I always think back to this:
    Female interviewer, "Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?"
    Cosgrove, "I don't see how. We'll be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a gun."
    Female interviewer, "But you're equipping them to become violent killers!"
    General Cosgrove, "Well ma'am, you're equipped to be a prostitute but you're not one, are you?"

because there is a Mcdonalds logo on a footy billboard, does not mean every person at the venue will then buy maccas for breakfast lunch and dinner that coming week. and any parent that does, well, therein lies the problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    by threatening to with-hold their fruit loops?
    yeah sure.
    or by refusing to buy them when they are very unhealthy for you.
    i was never allowed fruit loops or sugary breakfasts that growing up.

jam on toast, or crumpets if i was lucky was about it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    in the Manduarah Coles (the one in the big shopping centre), there was a junk food free check out which didn't have all the lollies and crap. Interesting idea, I wonder what the intention behond it is and whether people will line up longer to go through it?
    They've been doing this in UK supermarkets for several years now. I think it's so parents with young kids can go through the checkout without the kids whining about wanting lollies!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    They've been doing this in UK supermarkets for several years now. I think it's so parents with young kids can go through the checkout without the kids whining about wanting lollies!
    Thats pissweak and some pretty soft parenting if thats the actual case

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast