Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pulver's vision for new club tier

vCash

Pulver's vision for new club tier

THE ARU is looking at an innovative two-pronged approach to create a development pathway via a national club competition and involving Australia's Super Rugby B teams in the Pacific Nations Cup (I assume the article is actually talking about the Pacific Rugby Cup which is different).

Since the game went professional in 1995 there have been repeated calls for the creation of a development competition in Australian rugby, but it is an expensive exercise.

Apart from the ill-fated Australian Rugby Championship in 2007, there has never been a third-tier competition to bridge the gap between club and Super Rugby.

But the ARU has devised what it believes are two financially astute schemes. It is planning to put places in a proposed national club competition out to competitive tender, with the successful teams likely to pay licensing fees to participate.

And the Super Rugby B teams would play in the Pacific Nations Cup with Fiji, Samoa and Tonga in a competition funded by the IRB.

Read more: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226718882792

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    what sort of team would come out of Perth would it be like a rep team eg Perth Gold or someone like Neddie or Cott?

I think a Rep team would be better with the local teams acting like feeder teams.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Champion
    vCash
    MMM I have heard that the ARU will need to shell out $550,000 to employee the 55 players for the teams

The issue is that the IRB will NOT pay for the Tonga, Fiji and Samoa teams to play in this comp

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    what sort of team would come out of Perth would it be like a rep team eg Perth Gold or someone like Neddie or Cott?
    In Super B it would be a Force reserves side bolstered by, I presume, local club players. Sounds like it's up for grabs for the other competition although I don't imagine Rugby WA will be allowing it to be anything other than a rep side.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    The issue is that the IRB will NOT pay for the Tonga, Fiji and Samoa teams to play in this comp
    The IRB already pays for them to play against the Brumbies', Waratahs' and Reds' B teams in the Pacific Rugby Cup so why would they suddenly stop now?

Champion
    vCash
    The IRB already pays for them to play against the Brumbies', Waratahs' and Reds' B teams in the Pacific Rugby Cup so why would they suddenly stop now?

You tell me? It seems nuts , but the IRB has told the ARU " We have better things to do with the money and if the ARU wants this to happen , they can pay for it! "

vCash
    Not worth including the Pacific Island teams if the IRB won't at least fund their involvement, which would be a shame.

Champion
    vCash
    Most of all it should be on Fox Sports or ONE , Bloke or Gem

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post

You tell me? It seems nuts , but the IRB has told the ARU " We have better things to do with the money and if the ARU wants this to happen , they can pay for it! "

According to a Fijian based poster on PlanetRugby, the IRB have scrapped the Pacific Rugby Championship.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Well, evidently the ARU will be meeting on October 21 to finalise details in regards to the National Club Championship. Some details are present, they are looking to have 10 teams with 4 from Sydney, 3 from Brisbane and one from Canberra, Melbourne and Perth. All SR and non-active Wallaby players will be required to compete.

I think that's a positive for the likes of any Perth or Melbourne squads as 1) the presence of SR players will ensure competitiveness 2) Provides opportunity for the best from club club to get a run and 3) provides a solid pathway for juniors.

vCash
    Was it you Beige that I was chatting to last weekend and you mentioned that it would be unlikely that RugbyWA would open NiB earlier for this competition if held as a curtain raiser due to asscoaited costs with ground hire etc?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Was it you Beige that I was chatting to last weekend and you mentioned that it would be unlikely that RugbyWA would open NiB earlier for this competition if held as a curtain raiser due to asscoaited costs with ground hire etc?
    this comp will be seperat to the Super B comp which will be the curtain raisers during the season. this comp will run Aug-Oct.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    That would have been in connection with the Super B competition (to run earlier in the season) as opposed to the new club competition. The Force wants to play Super B games as curtain raisers to Super Rugby games but there are issues with stadium costs that are proving a barrier to them opening the gates early. The new club comp would be after Super Rugby is over.

Last edited by beige; 04-10-13 at 14:21. Reason: Yeah what GAFFA said :P

Champion
    vCash
    It seems it will be a Home and Away APC 2006

With the Force to start a home with 2 games , 4 in a row on the EC and finish with 2 at home

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Au...l_Championship

vCash
    Spam bot's broken...

vCash
    I don't understand the need for multiple teams from Sydney and Brisbane, one "Super B" team for each franchise is fine.

Unless the new third tier competition is based on "origin criteria" or "which senior club you first played for" then all I can see is the weird distribution that occurred in the old ARC; whereby the Reds and the Waratahs were split up, but the Brumbies and the Force stayed as a unit. I know that's an oversimplification, but I thought it an odd situation when at the time the Force and the Brumbies were the two best Australian teams. Conversely in 2007, the Waratahs and Reds were the bottom of Super 14 and yet they were the ones split into 5 franchises. As I say, if there is an "origin criteria" for this system, then fine; from there, if WA, Victoria or the ACT/Southern is a little a sparse on talent, a draft and salary cap can come in and even it out.

I've got to admit though, does anyone else have the same ambivalence to new made-up competitions with all-new franchises, logos, nicknames etc...? I just wonder whether rugby needs to go about it by trying to emulate the A-League or the NBL?

I think the "B Team" vs the Pacific Island "A" or residents teams idea is a bloody interesting concept though.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast