Thread: Cummins's inspiration starts at home

vCash

Cummins's inspiration starts at home

Wallaby winger Nick Cummins draws inspiration from father, who is suffering prostate cancer

BEING beaten never burdens Wallaby winger Nick Cummins for long when the spirit to bounce back is in every inspiring thought he has for his father standing up to cancer.

"Doing it for dad" is a potent theme to everything the mop-haired finisher does, including the thundering rally of strong runs he hopes to inject into a drought-breaking Wallabies win over Argentina in Perth on Saturday night.

Cummins's single dad Mark was honoured as Queensland's Father of the Year in 2012 for his herculean parenting effort with eight kids.

He has made sure that kids Joe, 16, and Lizzy, 21, have more than the right care to deal with cystic fibrosis. He has given them a sunny outlook on life which is something knockabout brother Nick radiates in every conversation and every rugby challenge.

Coughing up two early balls and slipping when he did cut through the line against South Africa last weekend is a ragged last start that Cummins is intent on remedying against the Pumas.

"Yes, there's pressure on the Wallabies to win but diamonds are formed under pressure," Cummins said with typical flourish.

For the first time, Cummins spoke about the jolt to his Logan family's tight-knit equilibrium when his father was diagnosed with incurable prostate cancer earlier this year. He is fighting to extend the five years he was initially given to live.

"Anyone who can stand up, keep facing life and stay positive with that sort of info...that's inspiring," Cummins said.
    "Dad's had a pretty tough ride but he always picks up my spirits if I'm a bit down rugby-wise with an injury or whatever. 'What are you worried about' he says. 'Look at me'.

"I'm really keen for that good performance for him. He's truly backed me and the family all the way."

The pride flows both ways with Mark and a brood that would fill a sevens team...Bernadette, 33, Northern Territory five-eighth Luke, 31, Nathan, 30, Alicia, 24, Lizzy, Jake, 20, and Joe.

"You can have a lot of speed bumps in life but the main mantra I live by is that the sun comes up tomorrow morning. Things get better," Mr Cummins, 54, said.

"I'm determined to bat on a lot longer. You gotta live. We still have a lot of good family parties. I still surf with the boys. I play touch.

"Nick is made of good stuff. He knows life is more than just footy.

"I'm proud of his rugby but more so who he is. He's not a player who'll ever dog it and there's nothing fake to him.

"He's on the phone to the kids when they are in hospital and he feels it is his mission in life to find a cure."

If there is one footy jersey that Cummins yearns to wear as much as the gold Wallabies jumper, it is that of the Quokkas beside his father.

He has played once for the family-based team at the Bali 10s and Mark has long-range plans to play with his sons again.

"We'll get another team together for Bali or Darwin one year. I'll put down the clipboard and still be good for few minutes with the boys," Mr Cummins said.

Cummins senior was on a plane to Rosario to watch his son's Wallaby debut live against Argentina 11 months ago. Then-coach Robbie Deans invited him to the team's private jersey presentation ceremony.

"It was a pleasure to be in that dressing room, in the ring of players with Nick singing Waltzing Matilda after a great win," he recalled.

There is winning in rugby and in life. The Cummins family are savouring every drop.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-g...-1226718035492

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I met Mark, Bernadette and Joe at The Caxton before Reds v Force in 2012, an awesome bloke and great family

Best of luck for the future Mark

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Good onya Nick! You've a right to be so proud of your Dad and you're a credit to what he's taught you. If all the Wallabies had the same attitude as you there wouldn't be any problems playing as a great team.
    PS Just wondering when one of those great little home videos he did at the Force last year will get done again!

Champion
    vCash
    Nick's family seem to have taken some hard knocks over the years.They appear to be a loving close knit family and I wish them all the best, especially his Dad in his fight against cancer