Thread: Boks braced for Quade's run-and-stun game

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Boks braced for Quade's run-and-stun game

By Jim Morton,
    AAP
    Updated September 4, 2013, 1:00 pm

The Springboks are braced for a Queensland Reds-style attacking onslaught from the Quade Cooper-piloted Wallabies on Saturday night.

South Africa coach Heyneke Meyer rated Australia's refined backline - featuring mercurial Reds playmaker Cooper at five-eighth and Israel Folau at fullback - among the most dangerous his side has ever encountered.

Meyer predicted the Wallabies, who boast a 7-0 record over the Boks at Suncorp Stadium, would attempt to run his big forward pack off their feet in the Mandela Plate clash.

That's been Queensland's tactics against most South African Super Rugby sides under new Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie over the past four seasons.

"The way the Reds played it was all full-out attack," Meyer said. "You look at this team and it's a really full-on attack team.

"They know we have travelled so they will really try to run our forwards flat and tired.

"Without talking them up too much I think this is probably one of the best backlines we have faced, and not just this year."

Moving Folau from wing to fullback has been designed for the code-hopping X-factor to get his hands on the ball more and attack from kick-returns.

Folau gained limited opportunities against the All Blacks where Australia tempered their running game with more kicking in the last-start 27-16 loss in Wellington.

Meyer expected his side would have to make 150-plus effective tackles, a huge amount in Test rugby, to end their horrible Brisbane drought.

Under Robbie Deans the Wallabies played a more conservative style, but the Boks believe they thrive when Cooper is running and spreading the ball wide.

"They will play to their strengths and that has worked for them in the past," Meyer said. "If you look at that backline they would be crazy not to move the ball around.

"That's where Australia has been at their best, if they play like that.

"Sooner or later they have to try that moving forward."

Cooper has showcased his best against South African rivals in Test and Super Rugby as his jinking running game and wide bullet pass has troubled their defenders.

He boasts a 7-2 record in nine Tests against the Boks, including five successes from his past five.

"That's a stat that's been thrown around a fair bit this week but for me the only stat I'm worried about is they are number two in the world," said Cooper, pointing to their nine-match winning streak.

"They are there for a reason, they're a great side."

Like the Wallabies, South Africa have made three changes to their starting 15 as Meyer delivered on his promise to rotate key players following back-to-back wins over Argentina.

World-class hooker Bismarck du Plessis and lock Flip van der Merwe have been promoted to their tight-five while no-frills fullback Zane Kirchner is the only backline change.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...allabies-test/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    i wouldnt count on it... im thinking this may be a dour arm wrestle and that the Boks will out-enthuse us... i pray that im wrong however.. just have a bad feeling about it.

vCash
    Australia got dis

Probably right about it being a dour arm wrestle

South Africa will try to bring us down to their level and beat us with experience