Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Super 18 on the cards from 2016

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

A Super 18 on the cards from 2016

Jim Morton and Darren Walton,
    AAP
    August 8, 2013, 2:42 pm

Super Rugby chiefs are seriously considering splitting the current three-conference system into two from 2016 and adding two teams from Argentina.

Under a possible Super 18 model which appears the most logical future competition, Australian and New Zealand sides would join together in their own conference while South Africa would combine with Argentina.

Leading officials also say there's the possibility of Japanese teams being added in three years' time, but there's plenty of work to be done.

One thing's for certain: Super Rugby expansion will occur after the 2015 World Cup with governing body SANZAR committed to ensuring the recently-relegated Southern Kings will be one of six South African teams.

While SANZAR, which aims to finalise its next model by the end of the year, has a lot to consider before deciding upon its preferred model, the three-conference system looks to be coming towards an end.

SANZAR chief executive Greg Peters said the time-frame for the competition - currently played over 21 weeks, including three weeks for play-offs - could not be extended.

That makes it virtually impossible to keep the current structure if new teams are added as all three national unions want their local derby matches to played at home and away.

With the rigours of travel to and from South Africa combining to make player welfare a bigger issue, the simplest solution is for a two-conference split.

That would see the five Australian teams play each other twice and the five Kiwi sides once for 13 matches before both conferences came together in a six or eight-team finals series.

ARU boss Bill Pulver, who is also on SANZAR's executive committee, said the ARU hadn't decided on its preferred model but stressed the five Australian teams would remain.

"We're trying to keep a very open mind to what this structure looks like," he said in Sydney.

It's more likely two new Argentinian teams, rather than one, would be added to what would become an eight-team South African/American conference.

It would allow all teams to play home and away over 14 rounds.

The heavy political pressure for South Africa to have six teams only intensified with the Port Elizabeth-based Kings losing a tightly-fought two-match relegation play-off with the Johannesburg-based Lions last weekend.

"We really understand the desire for that from South Africa," Peters told AAP. "The Kings have 32 per cent of the playing population and 72 per cent of that is coloured," Peters said.

"We understand the need for six teams in South Africa."

While there's massive commercial benefits with the inclusion of Japan before it hosts the 2019 World Cup, there's logistical problems in fitting them into the Australasian conference.

SANZAR and the ARU are both pushing for the June international window to be moved to July to ensure Super Rugby can be played in one complete block instead of being interrupted for Test matches before the play-offs.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...rds-from-2016/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Apprentice
    vCash
    A Trans-Tasman competition is bad news for the Force travel wise.

Rookie
    vCash
    That makes 10 teams in 1 comp and 8 in the other. I really hope it was the Kiwis or Saffas that did the maths, but having a lot to do with apprentices lately, it wouldn't surprise me 1 bit that an Aussie worked out that 18 divided by 2 equals 10 and 8

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    "one" bit

vCash
    Whatever they expand it too they need to ensure they get rid of the ridiculous midseason break for test rugby, teams lost form and it's ridiculous for clubs trying to maintain any PR momentum they generated throughout the season..
    Posted via Mobile Device

Apprentice
    vCash
    I think we need to keep this SANZAR (w/ Argentina) Super Rugby conference competition together. At least try and see if its doable for a few seasons. The alternative is to have a schism with a competition in South Africa only (that may or may not be a level above currie cup) and one in NZ and Australia. Basically we would be turning into a Northern Hemisphere style comp structure with 3 different leagues (Pro 12, Aviva Prem and Top 14) that doesn't elevate the level of overall rugby being played. We have the best rugby competition without a doubt in the world and we should be looking to expand it if that's what is required. Not to mention bringing Argentina into the mix would help them out enormously with raising their standard as a group instead of having players all over the place as well as getting more much needed grass roots supports for Argentinean rugby. Wouldn't that also help with their participation in the rugby championship?

We also most likely wouldn't have the issues we're having with Aussie based sides poaching each other's talent and/or looking abroad (i.e. Force with SA players) as the Argentinean players would go home.

Lastly, I definitely agree we need to move this international window not to coincide with the tests. But if we have more teams, that means a bigger comp which makes it harder. Its a very complex issue, Do we need to tests apart from the Lions tours? Are they competitive anymore? The Lions tours are huge money makers for the sport in their respective countries..

What do you guys think?

Veteran
    vCash
    6 super rugby sides against Argentinian clubs?? that'll be a white wash...

I don't really have a problem with the current format, where you dont play everyone except for the aussie teams.

and get rid of the test window.

vCash
    I assume this new comp will be funded by the sale of the tv rights?

Watching South African sides belt some Argies probably won't be very entertaining

I'm fine with the current format but would prefer if they started the season two weeks earlier and played all of the overseas sides at least once.

I agree with the idea of shifting the Test window given I doubt they will scrap it altogether

Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    clubs trying to maintain any PR momentum they generated throughout the season..
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I assume it would be a pain in NSW and Qld because June is when State of Origin starts

vCash
    8 in one conference and 10 in the other? Maybe the Force could play in the SA/Arg conference instead? 9 & 9.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Dump the conference system and give the Force all home games so that the teams from SA/Arg and East Coast/NZ have a stop over and rest on the way to play each other.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Dump the conference system and give the Force all home games so that the teams from SA/Arg and East Coast/NZ have a stop over and rest on the way to play each other.
    We'd still find some way to screw it up...

vCash
    Love the idea Coach!
    The one question I have is " are we playing to many Test Matches". I may have lost a bit of grey matter over the years but I don’t remember as many Test matches. Obviously with the expansion of both the 6 Nations and the Rugby Championship its added a few.
    Were there as many home and away tours in the same year?

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Rugby HQ raised this question on Twitter last night, I said that a lot of the teams, especially Perth may lose some support given the amount of SA expats who live here. Will they keep coming if we never have a SA team tour?

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't see that being a starter, plus when a journalist says they are "seriously considering" something it means they have mentioned it. Probably thought up in a brain storming situation.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Added to which, it doesn't make much sense to have a conference made up of the two most geographically separated unions. Surely Aus/South Africa and New Zealand/Argentina are more logical splits.

Unless South Africa are looking for a cheap way of stacking the finals by providing three finalists out of such a conference, The Kings might actually have a chance of making the final in a conference like that!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast