Thread: Sonny Bill eligible for Kiwis, World Cup selection

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Sonny Bill eligible for Kiwis, World Cup selection

ADRIAN PROSZENKO

Last updated 05:00
    26/07/2013

Sonny Bill Williams will be eligible for selection in the season-ending Rugby League World Cup even if he hasn't signed an NRL contract for next year.

The future of Williams remains uncertain after signing only a one-year deal with the Roosters. The Bondi Junction outfit is desperate to retain him and the ARLC have earmarked changes to the salary cap which will make league a more attractive option for marquee players.

However, the lure of returning to rugby - including the prospect of Olympic Sevens representation and another World Cup tilt in the 15-man code - will also be strong for one of the biggest drawcards in either code. And it's also unclear what impact his boxing commitments could have on his availability should he opt to return to the ring in the offseason.

However, Williams would be eligible to play in league's showpiece international event if he remains a free agent, while it's possible he could be considered even if he defected back to rugby.

''From an RLIF point of view, the federation would work hard to ensure the best possible players represent their country,'' said Rugby League International Federation secretary Andrew Hill.

''If Sonny hasn't got a registered contract with the NRL, I don't see that as being a reason for him not to participate in the Rugby League 2013 World Cup.

''I understand Sonny Bill would be eligible for Samoa and New Zealand, therefore it's a matter of those two nations to work with him.''

The rule also applies to departing Wests Tigers star Benji Marshall, who could make his league swansong at international level before switching to union. Asked if a player was eligible for the World Cup even if contracted to a rival code, Hill - who also holds an executive posting at the ARLC - said: ''That would be a matter the RLIF board would have to consider in conjunction with the member nations of the international federation.''

Injuries have limited Williams to just seven Tests between 2004 and 2008 and he wasn't part of the team which upset Australia in the last World Cup final. While Kiwi officials are desperate for him to be part of their title defence, Williams also qualifies for Samoa.

Manly centre Steve Matai, who has represented New Zealand on 10 occasions, will switch his allegiance to Samoa. He has already be in Williams' ear in an attempt to get him to do likewise.

''After our last game we played against the Roosters, I had a quick chat to him afterwards,'' Matai said.

''I said: 'What are you doing at the end of the year? Let's go play for Samoa.' ''He hadn't made his mind up yet. I think he'll get a lot of backlash if he chooses to play for Samoa instead of New Zealand. But I'll ask, don't worry about that.'' Matai has also been chipping away at another schoolfriend with dual eligibility, Thomas Leuluai. The trio attended Mount Albert Grammar in Auckland together and Matai has raised the prospect of reuniting for the Pacific nation. They have until early October to decide their direction.

''There is no specific timeline other than for the ability administration of the RLIF to satisfy their eligibility,'' Hill said.

''The week after the NRL and Super League grand finals is the week each nation must submit their playing squad to the World Cup organisers.''

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/...-Cup-selection

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    I think Sonny Bill would get huge support in Australia if he played for Samoa instead of NZ.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    coz Stone Cold says so