Thread: Quake in Seddon, 'Australia'

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Quake in Seddon, 'Australia'

Last updated 08:36
    22/07/2013

Yesterday's 6.5 quake which caused damage and put residents in the central North Island on edge has made headlines around the world.

But one headline in particular is being shared more than others - it reads: "Severe Earthquake Strikes Australia / Correction - New Zealand".

A half-hearted attempt from Las Vegas news site the Guardian Express to include New Zealand in the quakes centred at Seddon saw the country tacked on to the end of the headline, but, according to the story, the Marlborough suburb was a locality of Melbourne.
    "Seddon is a suburb 7 km west of Melbourne, Australia, with a population of about 4851 people," the website wrote.

"It is located in the state of Victoria on the southeast tip of Australia. The shock effects of the quake have been felt as far away as Napier, in Western Australia, 3302 kilometres (2066 miles) from Melbourne.

"This suggests that the path of the quake is along the southern part of Australia."

Between midnight and 6am, 34 quakes were recorded - in New Zealand - in GeoNet's preliminary reading.

More than 250 quakes have struck the region since Thursday. The biggest 6.5 magnitude was at a depth of 17km.

The Guardian Express said there was "an average of one earthquake per year in Australia with a magnitude of 5 or greater and a depth of 0 to 70 km".

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8947...ddon-Australia

They only learn geography through war those crazy seppos

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    their geography down here is bad because they haven't bombed Australia or New Zealand yet

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    i stand corrected AND i will refrain from any "it's only queensland" jokes .. oh wait

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.