Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: tips for premier rd 13

Rookie
    vCash
    A great result for Paly, which was picked by a TWFer earlier in this thread. Keen to see Soaks opinion, as they did look a shadow of theirselves last week - wonder if this week was a continuation.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm in Sydney and not impressed with the rugby i just saw.

Sounds like Allen Park would have been a lot more enjoyable.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    I'm in Sydney and not impressed with the rugby i just saw.

Sounds like Allen Park would have been a lot more enjoyable.
    So you weren't impressed with the Lions then?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Not particularly.

They did what any competent team at that level would have done against weak and incompetent defence.

Champion
    vCash
    Neddies 31 Wests 28 we let them in for 2 converted tries in last 6 mins we absolutely blew it and still can't pick a team that is going to win comp.Top 6 teams can beat each other on day

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Rookie
    vCash
    Neds v Wests sounds exciting. Fair play to Wests but 2 scores in last 6 mins !!! Neds seem to have overcome those frailties of a few years back - that's a few they've won in the last 1/4 of a game ?

vCash
    On reflection, it seems to me that the standard of refereeing in local Premier rugby is as high as it has ever been.

More importantly, the standard of one-eyed support of the local teams would seem to have grown to such a level that the mad, passionate club supporter actually believes that their team can not possibly do anything wrong during an entire 80 minutes. They are never offside, they rarely (if ever) drop the ball or knock it on, whereas their opposition are almost always offside, handling the ball in rucks and pass the ball forward pretty much all the time but the damned incompetent ref never sees them.

That is not to say the every supporter is like this, but there sure are a few hard-core one-eyed supporters out there who simply cannot (will not?) concede that their team was not quite as good as they thought and that it was someone else’s fault that they lost.

These one-eyed folk also seem to have the assumption that the match official must have a perfect "day at the office" every single time, whereas they can forgive their players for accidentally missing tackles, or accidentally falling over onto the ball, or accidentally dropping it and such.

I think we all need to pull together to devise some way of educating these poor lost souls to acknowledge - or even accept - that there are two teams out there and that the other team is entitled to play well. We could try to achieve the ultimate goal of spectators applauding any team’s great play, but I acknowledge we need baby steps for now, so that last part is just my little pipe dream…

What's happened to Wanneroo this season? Yesterday was the first time I've seen them all year and they seemed rather disjointed to say the least.

vCash
    Perth v Uni was a great game, Uni needed a bonus point win and got it with the last play of the game.

Credit to Perth who played their hearts out to continue to build as a premiership team.

Both teams played very positive rugby and the game had very few penalties to speak of and no controversy.

Well done to both clubs, it was a pleasure to be in the middle of.

Beware of Perth too, it won't be too long until they start causing upsets, the team is getting better.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    With such a tight competition between 3rd to 8th places, passion and tensions will always run high. There is so much riding on every result that individual plays are going to be scrutinised from the perspective of player, coach, supporter and referee to see how and why things happened the way they did. Everyone is indeed under pressure to execute the right play at the right time and make the right call at the right time. I've refereed myself and plan to do so again next season if commitments allow me too. I knew that i would cop some shit for making a bad call or whatever. You'd be naive to think you wouldn't. The thing i always tried to allow happen was the teams determine the result and call the same offences for both teams. As long as all referees try and do this same thing then we'll all benefit.
    Yesterdays refs Rob K and Daelen refereed very well and worked together really well. The Saffa ref (ex S15 ref apparently RM?) could learn a thing from these 2.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston View Post
    I don't bitch when I get a response. I'm just pointing out what you are like! As Sprog said, you must have a chip on your shoulder! You always complain about the ref when Rocky is loosing. Like I said stop looking at it through your purple glasses. Maybe then you will realise that the refs are not as bad as what you thought.

Most refs at premier grade is up to standard.

And when I told you to step up, I meant go and ref a game. Being a volunteer at a club for 30 years does indicate why you are so one eyed!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    The reason rocky get a hard time from refs is because they had no idea of the laws at the breakdown .the players need education

Senior Player
    vCash
    "The Saffa ref (ex S15 ref apparently RM?) could learn a thing from these 2."

S10 & S12 actually. The only person who needs to learn something is you NTT. All refs in WA would rate him very highly.

You having reffed a few games once hardly qualifies you to be a referee assessor / critic.

Referee standards are patchy in 2012 in my humble opinion and some poor decision-making has led to mistakes being made that have changed the outcome of games. Our tolerance of refereeing errors is the thing that should be debated here.

Last edited by RumourMonger; 07-07-13 at 16:04.

vCash
    The standard we are to achieve at Prem is no more that 1 error in each half of a game, which is well below that made by most, if not all players.

Most of us manage to achieve this, but we all have off days and the fact we have to make the decision at speed with one look means we will never get 100% accuracy, but with good positioning and a good team of Assistant Referees, we can get very close most of the time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Rookie
    vCash
    If players did not make mistakes we would not need the referees !!
    Without them the game would be dead.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyRef View Post
    The standard we are to achieve at Prem is no more that 1 error in each half of a game, which is well below that made by most, if not all players.
    The question is what type of error? We all accept that referees are human and make errors and probably far less errors that players.

The issue is "critical errors" that impact the result of a game.

RugbyRef can you put your hand on your heart and say that you have not cost a team a game say in the last 6 weeks or so?

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stadh View Post
    The reason rocky get a hard time from refs is because they had no idea of the laws at the breakdown .the players need education
    This is the common problem with most teams. They do not know the laws, gets penalised and then feels hard done by. Then they have the attitude of the ref doesn't know what he is doing, we will just carry on and one day they will wake up. If players are willing to learn the laws it will go along way in improving the game.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast