Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Force to field team in third-tier competition

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Need to do one in order to do the other. Looking back, the turnover of the ARC was something like $6M with an operating loss of $2.5M, blowing out to a reported loss of ~$4.7M when they forgave all the "loans". Recovering the $1.8M in Premier funding and they would have been pretty close to break even.

This time, with this model, they will have no means of actually earning any money from the competition - it will be all cost, no return. So the operating loss will be everything put into it, year after year. They killed it last time and they're saying this will cost more, so looking forward......

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I have always said a program like this will cost money for the first ten years, maybe more, maybe forever......it doesn't mean the program should be scrapped, it just means that we need to find funds to commit to the development of our future stars.

Before anybody retorts with a call about the ARU being on the bones of it's arse, don't bother, I understand that, but we will continue to be poor until we can develop our players to the same standards enjoyed by the Boks and the Blacks. we NEED to find the money.

ps Disempowering the NSW Hegemony is a great first step!

C'mon the

vCash
    I also see this as a first step in to developing the 3rd level comp into a 2nd level comp that would be able to bring in money of it's own like the ARC attempted to do.
    This isn't a 2nd level comp.... Yet!

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    I also see this as a first step in to developing the 3rd level comp into a 2nd level comp that would be able to bring in money of it's own like the ARC attempted to do.
    This isn't a 2nd level comp.... Yet!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    any moves towards a third tier competition should be celebrated.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    The same hierarchy will try to insist that players in the Force development team return to their Eastern States clubs when the competition is over.
    well let's hope that a great many of them are local lads, and as such won't have to return to their Eastern States Teams...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    The whole point of this competition (as opposed to a proper ARC) should be that all of the players are locally based. It should be much more semi than pro, as most of the Super rugby players won't be available. They ought to be thinking of it as an ARS replacement, not an ARC replacement.

vCash
    Academy v Academy. Like it. Awesome news.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    The whole point of this competition (as opposed to a proper ARC) should be that all of the players are locally based. It should be much more semi than pro, as most of the Super rugby players won't be available. They ought to be thinking of it as an ARS replacement, not an ARC replacement.
    I don't know. I reckon they should go with the U23 option that was suggested before. In WA at least, you will get primarily local players if it is the younger guys playing. We are starting to produce enough quality juniors to have a competitive team made of local players. The other advantage would be getting potential U20 players a run. Our second year of 7th vs 8th play-off is disgraceful.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Sounds like the 2006 APC, which was so unsuccessful that they expanded it the following year to create the ARC. Dunno why they messed with it (APC) the way they did in the first place...

Good news.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I don't know. I reckon they should go with the U23 option that was suggested before. In WA at least, you will get primarily local players if it is the younger guys playing. We are starting to produce enough quality juniors to have a competitive team made of local players. The other advantage would be getting potential U20 players a run. Our second year of 7th vs 8th play-off is disgraceful.
    I don't care if they are local players, only that they live here and play their club rugby here. This comp will be the equivalent of a club select team; it should be used to bridge the gap between the clubs and the professional levels.

For mine it should be played as full 15s, it should be played when the Super team is away, it should be played at the training ground or some other location that does not represent a massive financial drain, it should be played at kid friendly times, they should be able to access the ground like they do at club level, and each of the clubs should be highly visible at the game (e.g they could each have a food outlet, can sell what they like, get the revenue and maybe generate a brand identity/loyalty in the non-aligned). The primary objective on the player side should be exposure, but the same should be true on the supporter side with the clubs put together with the thousands of Force fans that do not follow anything else.

vCash
    I wonder if this could be something like a reserve grade?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Champion
    vCash
    Good, we need Fox Sports or 10 to cover these games like Super sport do with the Vodacom cup

vCash
    There were some reports around a while ago that Aunty was questioning the value it gets for it's live telecasts of the Shute Shield. Perhaps they could be persuaded to cover this comp while it runs. It might even get them a ratings leg-up for coverage of the final stages of the Shield as some of the players go back to their clubs.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    The ABC gets paid to show the Shute Shield. I doubt anyone is going to be interested in showing curtain-raisers, but even if they were it is only Fox that will have coverage so they will get it for free. There isn't likely to be a separate broadcast agreement unless they do a proper ARC after Super rugby is over, lining up with the ITM and Currie Cups.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast