Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dane Haylett-Petty Back ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nipper View Post
    Sounds like it would be a good problem to have - Morahan and DHP competing for a spot. When has that happened in recent memory, other than in the back row? Two decent quality backs battling it out for a spot?

So, with Holmes back it would likely be 3 WA-raised boys in the starting side -- all backs as well. That's not too shabby, and speaks to the progress of the game in WA.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Plus k-bomb in the front row and prob ollie hoskins to things looking up

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    DHP played 13 for Biarritz and looked quite handy in some games. Made some bullocking runs and played with a confidence he never had under Mitchell.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

Champion
    vCash
    The main point here being the fact that an opportunity has to be given to local lads to prove they can match it and again that clearly is not the case.Again they go over east and pluck no names out of Shute shield over the top of our lads.Makes you wonder why a local kid with talent and there is loads of them out there actually bothers attending academy training 5 days a week to get shafted like this.
    The truth is, unfortunately, right now we do not have the same sort of talent in the local comp as there is in Shute Shield even if they are spending every day at the academy.
    While I cant disagree that we should have had a stronger side against the Lions this gives Foley a chance to look at players who are prospects for next year and beyond. Roach is highly regarded, the Tahs are looking hard at him, likewise Brown, Metcher and Matwijow.
    A Shute Shield front row v the Lions could be interesting though!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    Morahan at Full Back

9 Alby
    10 Holmes
    11 Cummins
    12 Godwin
    13 ??
    14 DHP
    15 Morahan
    Wouldn't mind seeing Stubbs at 13.
    We know he can tackle.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Good to see Manu getting a crack. He was very impressive last year.

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Thought he had a decent game today..

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    Good to see Manu getting a crack. He was very impressive last year.
    and awesome last night. held his own against a NH test scrum. same with Ma'afu, but then again, he is a test prop v an EPS...

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    http://www.rugbywa.com.au/NewsEvents...0/Default.aspx

The Emirates Western Force has brought home another Perth local, with Dane Haylett-Petty signing with the club for the 2014 Super Rugby season.

The Durban-born, WA-raised outside back’s signature follows the return of Perth-born flyhalf/fullback Zack Holmes for next season.

Head Coach Michael Foley says bringing local talent like Holmes and Haylett-Petty back to Perth had been a focus for the organisation.

“We are determined to bring home quality Western Australian talent to represent the Force and we’re very pleased to have secured both Zack and Dane,” he said.

“Dane’s had a number of good seasons with Biarritz and demonstrated last night against the British & Irish Lions, he has a desire to work off his wing and will have a lot to offer us next season.”

The 23-year-old played three seasons for the Emirates Western Force between 2008 and 2010, making his Super Rugby debut against the Chiefs five seasons ago.

Haylett-Petty was a member of the Australian Sevens side during the 2008/2009 IRB Sevens World Series and featured prominently for the Australian Under 20 side in their IRB Junior World Championship in 2008 and 2009, including starting at fullback in their 2009 semi-final loss to South Africa.

The Hale School graduate returned to Force colours last night, when he started on the right wing in the Western Australian’s clash against the British & Irish Lions at Patersons Stadium.

Haylett-Petty says he’s keen about returning to the Emirates Western Force on a more permanent basis.

“I’m really excited to be coming back to the Force,” he said. “It was always the plan to come back to Australia and play Super Rugby, and my preference was to come back to the Force because it’s home to me.

“Having been a part of the squad for the last week in the lead into the Lions match, you can see there’s a great feeling there. The whole feel and atmosphere of the team has changed a great deal and I’m really excited about coming back.

“It was a great experience going overseas and I feel like I learnt a lot. You play 36 games a season against some of the best players and teams in Europe week in, week out which gave me some valuable experience, but I’m ready to come back and give Super Rugby a crack.”

Haylett-Petty will join the Emirates Western Force squad on a full-time basis for the start of the 2014 Super Rugby pre-season.

Name: Dane Haylett-Petty
    Born: 18/06/1989
    Position: Fullback/wing
    Height: 1.89m
    Weight: 95kg
    Representative Rugby: 2008-2009 Australian Under 20, 2008-2009 Australian Sevens, 2006-2007 WA Schoolboys

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Great news., but I thought he'd signed with a Japanese side (Suntory?) Maybe that's just for 2013/4.

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Great news., but I thought he'd signed with a Japanese side (Suntory?) Maybe that's just for 2013/4.
    I read in the paper this morning that he is playing the next season in Japan, then coming back for the Super season.

The big question is, if he plays full back, can he place kick? and if he can't, who will be kicking for us?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    I read in the paper this morning that he is playing the next season in Japan, then coming back for the Super season.

The big question is, if he plays full back, can he place kick? and if he can't, who will be kicking for us?
    Holmes is a kicker

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2