Thread: Digby Ioane, Scott Higginbotham and Sitaleki Timani released from 25-man Wallabies sq

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Digby Ioane, Scott Higginbotham and Sitaleki Timani released from 25-man Wallabies sq

Digby Ioane, Scott Higginbotham and Sitaleki Timani released from 25-man Wallabies squad
    By Jamie Pandaram The Courier-Mail June 02, 2013 10:36AM

The Wallabies have suffered major injury blows, with three frontline stars out from the squad to face the British and Irish Lions and halfback Nick Phipps a shock call-up on Sunday.

Winger Digby Ioane, backrower Scott Higginbotham, and lock Sitaleki Timani were released from Robbie Deans's 25-man squad and are now long odds to feature in the series.

In their place, NSW lock Kane Douglas, Force backrower Ben McCalman, and surprisingly, Melbourne halfback Phipps, have been called into the squad.

Ioane, Higginbotham and Timani would have been guaranteed starting players in the first Test on June 22, and their absence will rob the Wallabies of much-needed experience against the Lions, who started their campaign with a thumping 59-8 win over the Barbarians on Saturday night in Hong Kong.

Phipps is effectively replacing Ioane, though Deans said Brumbies halfback Nic White, who has been in sensational form, could be named as a third halfback in the squad when he names an additional six players on June 11.

Higginbotham, who has been performing superbly for the Rebels, dislocated his shoulder against Queensland on Saturday night.

Timani broke his thumb against the Crusaders on Friday night, while Ioane underwent an operation to his left knee last week and will be unable to train, but will remain with the Wallabies squad during his rehabilitation.

Deans has also invited playmaker Kurtley Beale to train with the squad next week, after the troubled star made a successful return to rugby via the Shute Shield yesterday, having entered a rehabilitation facility a fortnight ago to deal with alcohol-related issues.

The expected loss of Higginbotham and Timani is a huge blow for Australia's pack, given their rugged physicality will have been required against the confrontational Lions forwards.

Ioane is the first winger picked when fit, and if he does not regain fitness in time, his absence would pave the way for Israel Folau to start in the first Test.

"Digby is unable to train," Deans said. "His focus is on getting his knee right, which is why we've chosen to bring him in anyway, so we our medical staff can oversee the process.

"His absence from training opened up the opportunity to add another player. Nick [Phipps] has been playing well, has background with us through his experience last year and is a player who was always in our thoughts."

Phipps described the call up as a "pleasant surprise" admitting he felt he had "left my run too late" after starring in the Rebels upset win over the Stormers of South Africa, two days before the preliminary Wallabies squad was named.

"I'd been going OK, but felt my performance in that game, after I got on, was a step up from where I'd been," Phipps said.

"Possibly I'd been trying a bit too hard. I've really enjoyed my time with the Wallabies, especially last year when I got a few starts, and was pretty keen to get back there."

"I guess, like every other player in the country, I'm desperate to have a crack at the Lions. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity, one that a lot of players don't get."

Deans added: "Nick proved last year that he had the qualities to make a difference in the Test arena.

"He was called on at a time of great adversity and responded. His work rate makes a big difference to those around him, as does his enthusiasm both on and off the field.

"Pleasingly he has taken the benefits of his experience from last year back to the Rebels and added to them. He has been a point of difference player for the team this year and one of the leaders within their group."

The Lions land in Perth tomorrow, beginning their six-week tour with a match against the Force on Wednesday.

Read more: http://www.couriermail.com.au/rugby/...#ixzz2V1G2k8WS

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 02-06-13 at 10:06.

vCash
    At least McCalman and Phipps are in there.

Wait, McCalman hasn't been playing lock for the Force! What's this all about then?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Douglas is cover for timani. Big mac is cover for higgers.
    I cant believe after everything the ARU are still blowing smoke up kurtley beales arse.

vCash
    Mafi would have got a gold jersey if he pulled his head in...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player
    vCash
    Great news for McCalman, hopefully MMM will get in the final 6 giving us 3 players

I cannot see any justification of how Phipps could be picked ahead of White.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    Great news for McCalman, hopefully MMM will get in the final 6 giving us 3 players

Posted via Mobile Device
    I believe Phipps is due to become Deans's future son in law.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Family connections?!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Phipps is about the 6th best half back in Australia. His selection is bullsh1t

Timani is a big loss. Higgers is also a big loss. I would have thought both of them would have been starting.

Controversy corner

vCash
    Totally unrealistic I know, but with no Australia A fixture, I was hoping the White-Foley-Godwin combo could have played for the Barbars in Hongkers

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash

Higginbotham to miss entire series

Scott Higginbotham has been ruled out of the British and Irish Lions series in a crushing blow for the in-form forward and the Wallabies.

The 23-Test backrower dislocated his right shoulder making a tackle for the Melbourne Rebels during last Saturday night's 33-20 loss to the Queensland Reds at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

Wallabies medical staff let the injury settle for several days but the extensive ligament damage revealed by scans left only one course of action.

He will undergo a full shoulder reconstruction. He will have the surgery in Melbourne which leaves the Wallabies to nut out how they replace his strong running 108kg frame and sure lineout ability.

The rehabilitation time is such that the Rebels captain will not play Test rugby this year and will aim at a return for the Rebels in February next year.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/sh...#ixzz2VKXOBgZY

vCash
    Richard Brown put his hand up tonight!

C'mon the