Thread: Back-rower's slogan for milestone success

Senior Player
    vCash

Back-rower's slogan for milestone success

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...stone-success/

Western Force back-rower Ben McCalman needs his teammates to go 80 for his 50 against the Highlanders at nib Stadium on Saturday - that's 80 minutes in his 50th Super Rugby game.

The Force have fallen away badly after promising starts in many games this season and after playing their best rugby of the year in the first 20 minutes against the Sharks last week they suffered another shocking fadeout in the 23-13 loss.

There seems to be no quick fix but McCalman, who played down the chance of adding to his 21 Test caps by making one of the six final spots in the Wallabies squad to face the British and Irish Lions, is confident the side can turn things around in its last three games of the year.

"It is not a problem of belief," McCalman said.

"I wish I could tell you the exact reason why we have fallen off the back half of the past few games. If I knew that it would be an easy fix and we would be doing it.

"I don't think we're too far away."

McCalman missed a lot of last season with a fractured bone in his shoulder and then a broken arm.

"I'm very excited getting to 50 games. I missed a lot of rugby last year and it is great to have been able to play again this year," he said.

"The Highlanders are a very good side who have underperformed this year, a bit like us, so hopefully we can start well and keep it going for 80 minutes."

Meanwhile Force chief executive Mark Sinderberry said sponsorship discussions were continuing with Emirates Airlines.

The Force's $3 million, three-year deal with the Dubai-based airline ends this season and the club is in danger of losing it as a naming rights sponsor.

Sinderberry said the club was in discussions about the airline's future involvement.

"We've enjoyed an excellent relationship with Emirates over the past eight years and are in discussions regarding their level of involvement beyond this season," he said.

"Should they not remain our naming-rights partner, our challenge is to find another partner with a similar fit."

Emirates has been the naming rights sponsor since 2005.

While the loss of Emirates would be a financial blow, the ARU's chief executive Bill Pulver said during his first visit to Perth in February that the sport's governing body was fully committed to keeping a Super Rugby franchise in the west.

"No chance in the world that there will not be a Western Force," he said.

"We are 150 per cent committed to the franchises that we have.

"The future development of rugby, unquestionably in my mind, will involve the Perth team. I don't think I can make that any clearer.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    the bold section is nice to read!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!