Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ball rolling on 'Super B' competition

vCash

Ball rolling on 'Super B' competition

ARU boss Bill Pulver says targeting success at Super Rugby level is the key to restoring the code's ailing financial health and, after getting a green light from the IRB, is aiming to have a radical "Super B" pathway competition running in 2014.

Pulver recently returned from his first IRB meeting in Dublin, where he pitched plans for a modified 50 minute-a-game "Super B" format to rugby's top lawmakers.

Under the ARU proposal, the third-tier competition would be fought out between state-based teams of rising junior and club players, and be staged as curtain raisers to Super Rugby clashes.

But in major departures from tradition, the games would only run for 25 minutes per half and penalty goals would be banned to encourage more on-field action.

Strict yellow card usage would serve as a deterrent to anarchy, or possibly free up space on the field.

While many doubted Pulver could convince IRB blazers to agree, the ARU boss said he been informed there was nothing stopping him making the changes.

"The rules of rugby say a rugby match must have two halves, and each half cannot be greater than 40 minutes," Pulver said.

"So we are quite free to play 25 minutes halves. I also talked to them about seeking approval for no penalty goals.

"The truth is I actually don't have to do that. We can just get a coaches' agreement that we're not going to kick penalty goals."

Pulver said while he'd intended to seek approval for a shorter yellow card sanction, he'd also swung back to realising the existing 10 minutes was appropriately punitive.

"So there are three variations I can do there without changing the rules of the game," Pulver said.

"We just need a coaches agreement. I want a game that doesn't have penalty goals, and is focussed on smart, creative, running rugby."

Cutting down game-time would allow Super B matches would be played as near to Super Rugby matches as possible for fan engagement, and provide more rugby content for TV.

"It's a very aggressive timetable, but I would love to get this up for next year," Pulver said.

"There's a long way to go, a lot of financial work to do and a lot of development work to do, but I think it is a very exciting concept."

Exactly who plays in the teams is to be determined after a root and branch review of Australian rugby junior, club and academy pathways by new ARU development boss Ben Whitaker.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/su...-1226644971471

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    What a collosal wank! Played as curtain raisers, so all costs of travel but impossible to ever generate any income or get independent TV coverage. Be interesting to see how that pays for players to be semi-professional or get access to better training facilities/coaches. Totally lost sight of what exactly an ARC is supposed to achieve.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    What a collosal wank! Played as curtain raisers, so all costs of travel but impossible to ever generate any income or get independent TV coverage.
    "Super B matches would be played as near to Super Rugby matches as possible for fan engagement, and provide more rugby content for TV."

vCash
    Fox Sports aren't going to can a Super Rugby telecast from NZ just for a curtain raiser

vCash
    They'd have to televise it at another time like the NSW Cup rugby league - unless they play the games at separate times and venues, which kind of defeats what he's trying to do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Fox Sports aren't going to can a Super Rugby telecast from NZ just for a curtain raiser
    Fox Sports will gladly cut the end off a Force match to televise a Curtain raiser between NSW and Qld

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    They'd have to televise it at another time like the NSW Cup rugby league - unless they play the games at separate times and venues, which kind of defeats what he's trying to do.
    NSW Cup is shown live these days on a saturday morning - well at least one game is, I don't know if they show any other on delay

I think that was a part of the restructure when the ARLC took over the running of the game

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Fox Sports will gladly cut the end off a Force match to televise a Curtain raiser between NSW and Qld
    Touche!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    "Super B matches would be played as near to Super Rugby matches as possible for fan engagement, and provide more rugby content for TV."
    The word was "independent". It locks them to Foxtel with absolutely no leverage. Only Fox can record it or show it, so they can place on it whatever value they like...like nothing. Divorced from being live, played in huge empty stadiums in front of a few folk straggling in early and waiting to watch something much better - not real alluring. How many of even the TWF tragics have made it down for the curtain raisers to date, in preference to getting a couple of drinks in and watching the preceding Super matches?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    That's one of the things though Andy- two or three years ago you couldn't get into the stadium to watch Force A vs the Rebels Rising until at least half time unless you had a special pass. I would see people waiting outside the stadium to get in but security wouldn't let them.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Anyone going to watch the curtain raiser to the Lions?

Cotts v Nedlands?

Player
    vCash
    could be a better game....

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    yep

vCash
    Is there a curtain-raiser at every Force game?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    I'm pretty sure there's been one at every game this year.

Many have been Schoolboys 7s fixtures, but there was a women's match (which I missed, it was the early game) and I have a mate who's playing in the Fireys vs Coppers game sometime soon.

C'mon the

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash

Exactly who plays in the teams is to be determined after a root and branch review of Australian rugby junior, club and academy pathways by new ARU development boss Ben Whitaker.
    Wait, what?

coz Stone Cold says so

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast