Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ball rolling on 'Super B' competition

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Bring back the APC!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I still have my Perth Spirit jersey! Lets do this!

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I have said it ever since the ARC folded the ARU have to consider the loss made by such a competition as part of their development budget.
    Shield Cricket is a constant loss for Cricket Australia and it's not going anywhere.

Mind you the Sheffeild Shield has 100+ years of history

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I still have my Perth Spirit jersey! Lets do this!

Shield Cricket is a constant loss for Cricket Australia and it's not going anywhere.

Mind you the Sheffeild Shield has 100+ years of history
    Not only history Jargs, It is an important breeding ground for the next crop of national players. There is currently a gulf between metro club rugby and Super rugby, that gulf isn't being filled by the Shute Shield regardless of what the green blazer brigade tells us. Australian Super Rugby teams are scraping the bottom of the barrel when they take anybody playing club rugby in OZ.

There needs to be an intermediate step between local club and provincial representation and no matter which way you slice it that is going to cost money!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    There is currently a gulf between metro club rugby and Super rugby, that gulf isn't being filled by the Shute Shield regardless of what the green blazer brigade tells us. Australian Super Rugby teams are scraping the bottom of the barrel when they take anybody playing club rugby in OZ.

There needs to be an intermediate step between local club and provincial representation and no matter which way you slice it that is going to cost money!
    I agree with you 100%

But the selfish interests of Sydney and Brisbane clubs got it snuffed

I'm pretty the ARU paid the ABC to screen the ARC as well? No wonder it made a loss

Apprentice
    vCash
    The money needs to be found regardless, for this comp. The ARU is loosing money, so loose money on something that will help the future of the game, not massive salaries for over blown administrators.

vCash
    They need to consider alternative funding models. Perhaps a subscriber model might be a better fit.

Of course, it would all depend on how much a team in a national competition would cost to run annually.

vCash
    Selling a second division comp to TV when the AFL and NRL are getting to the business end of their year? Good luck with that.
    I'd rather they start with the second 15 version with the teams playing extra matches when NZ or ZA matches are on. If it can be worked in.
    The npc-type format could be a goer IF a TV operator first built some interest; perhaps by giving access to delayed or replayed Super Rugby. The A League will be doing just that starting this season on SBS.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I'd rather they start with the second 15 version[/size]
    Technically they would according to the article...

vCash
    Any proposed competition would have to appreciate that screening on TV would be a cost (ie would have to pay for that service) and not an income stream. I think they would be better served by looking into live internet streaming, but I'm hardly a tech guru.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    The npc-type format could be a goer IF a TV operator first built some interest; perhaps by giving access to delayed or replayed Super Rugby. The A League will be doing just that starting this season on SBS.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Surely some form of live content would be preferable to someone like Fox Sports

Are the NRL finals still free to air only? I know the AFL are simulcast on Fox and FTA

Last edited by jargan83; 30-08-13 at 12:19.

vCash
    Considering some of the content on One, the 'dedicated sports channel', and with Ten now having Wallaby matches, could a deal be struck were One gets to show the ARC at cost, ie, they pay for the equipment, allow the refs to have television replay, but otherwise don't pay the ARU for the matches, but neither does the ARU pay for matches to be shown.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Considering some of the content on One, the 'dedicated sports channel', and with Ten now having Wallaby matches, could a deal be struck were One gets to show the ARC at cost, ie, they pay for the equipment, allow the refs to have television replay, but otherwise don't pay the ARU for the matches, but neither does the ARU pay for matches to be shown.
    A case would have to be made based on viewer numbers. I'm not sure that any substantive analysis of the viewing habits of rugby fans has ever been done. We appear to be invisible from a TV point of view. Or government for that matter.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Jeez, looking through that they must be reading my mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    A case would have to be made based on viewer numbers. I'm not sure that any substantive analysis of the viewing habits of rugby fans has ever been done. We appear to be invisible from a TV point of view. Or government for that matter.
    This Saturday afternoon One is showing "Generation Snow", "Temporary Australians" (brilliant title, about motorcyclists), Trick my Truck" and "The WWE Experience", all of which they would have to pay for. I can't see that being huge competition for live sport, especially a competition to which Ten would have exclusive access.

BTW, the ARU pays $100k to allow the SS to be televiced, so I'm not sure they could reasonably be bleating poor for a much higher standard of competition.

Champion
    vCash
    Tell Fox Sportsto get the rights to this and put it on in 2014!

feedback@foxsports.com.au

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3