Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ONE POINT DECIDES FORCE AND CHIEFS IN PUKEKOHE

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

ONE POINT DECIDES FORCE AND CHIEFS IN PUKEKOHE

The Emirates Western Force has fallen agonisingly short of a maiden win against the Chiefs in New Zealand tonight, with a 22-21 loss to the New Zealand conference front-runners at ECOLight Stadium.

While the visitors outscored the reigning Super Rugby champions two tries to one, with Force winger Patrick Dellit snaring both five-pointers, and fought back from a 19-11 half-time deficit, they were unable to make up final margin, returning with a losing bonus point for their efforts.

Emirates Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley said despite the result, his side took another step in their overall development tonight.

“I’m very pleased with the effort there [tonight],” he said. “We’re restless about results and we want results and you sense that in the playing group as well.

“Six months ago they set a very high level for themselves. Over the last month or so there’s been a couple of times where it would have been very easy to back off a bit and they’ve actually pushed harder. The fact that they’re out there against one of the best sides in the comp putting in a performance like that suggests that they are making progress.

“To the people outside looking in, wins and losses are all that matter; but to get more wins we have to go through some of these times.

“We are ambitious, we’re not satisfied with a loss, but at the same time we’ve recognised that there’s some progress being made.”

The Emirates Western Force got off to a dream start when Dellit toed through a bouncing Matt Hodgson pass for the opening try after just three minutes.

Flyhalf Aaron Cruden responded with a Chiefs penalty goal before winger Lelia Masaga extended the lead when he snuck down a short blindside to score in the corner, with Cruden’s conversion putting the home side out to a 10-5 lead.

Cruden and Force fullback Jayden Hayward exchanged penalty goals through the remainder of the half, with Cruden’s four penalties providing his side with an eight-point buffer at the break.

Leading 19-11, Cruden extended the advantage to 11-points four minutes into the new term, when the Force earned the ire of referee Mike Fraser on their own scrum feed.

Another Hayward penalty at the 58-minute mark restored the half-time margin, before winger Nick Cummins put the Force on the front foot within the Chiefs quarter. The Force then swung the ball to the right before returning it to the left where Dellit found space in the defensive line to cross for his second and draw his side to within one point at 22-21.

Having defended valiantly in the final 10 minutes – including being a man down with Kieran Longbottom in the sin bin, the Force had an opportunity to steal the win in the final minutes, with a long-range Sias Ebersohn penalty attempt from within his own half falling short.

The Emirates Western Force returns to Perth tomorrow before squaring off against the Sharks at nib Stadium on Friday, 17 May.

2013 Super Rugby – Week 13
    Friday, 10 May 2013 at ECOLight Stadium, Pukekohe
    Kick-off: 7.35pm (local)/3.35pm (AWST)

Emirates Western Force: 1. Pek Cowan, 2. Heath Tessmann, 3. Kieran Longbottom, 4. Toby Lynn, 5. Sam Wykes, 6. Matt Hodgson (c), 7.Chris Alcock, 8. Ben McCalman, 9. Brett Sheehan, 10. Sias Ebersohn, 11. Nick Cummins, 12. Kyle Godwin, 13.Ben Jacobs, 14. Patrick Dellit, 15. Jayden Hayward. Res: 16. James Hilterbrand, 17. Tetera Faulkner, 18. Rory Walton, 19. Richard Brown, 20. Alby Mathewson, 21. Junior Rasolea, 22. Sam Norton-Knight.
    Coach: Michael Foley

Chiefs: 1. Toby Smith, 2. Hika Elliot, 3. Ben Afeaki, 4. Craig Clarke (c), 5. Brodie Retallick, 6. Liam Messam, 7. Sam Cane, 8. Matt Vant Leven, 9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow, 10. Aaron Cruden, 11. Patrick Osborne, 12. Bundee Aki, 13. Save Tokula, 14. Lelia Masaga, 15. Robbie Robinson. Res: 16. Mahonri Schwalger, 17. Ben Tameifuna, 18. Michael Fitzgerald, 19. Tanerau Latimer, 20. Augustine Pulu, 21. Charlie Ngatai, 22. Asaeli Tikoirotuma.
    Coach: Dave Rennie

Yellow Cards: Kieran Longbottom (72nd min)
    Red Cards: Nil
    Referee: Mike Fraser
    Crowd: Not announced

By the clock

Min Details Score
    3 Pat Dellit Try 0-5
    4 Jayden Hayward Missed Con 0-5
    7 Aaron Cruden Penalty Goal 3-5
    15 Lelia Masaga Try 8-5
    16 Aaron Cruden Conversion 10-5
    19 Aaron Cruden Penalty Goal 13-5
    27 Aaron Cruden Penalty Goal 16-5
    31 Jayden Hayward Penalty Goal 16-8
    35 Jayden Hayward Penalty Goal 16-11
    38 Aaron Cruden Penalty Goal 19-11
    44 Aaron Cruden Penalty Goal 22-11
    58 Jayden Hayward Penalty Goal 22-14
    61 Pat Dellit Try 22-19
    62 Jayden Hayward Conversion 22-21
    72 Kieran Longbottom Sin Bin 22-21
    78 Sias Ebersohn Missed PG 22-21

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Another big hearted performance from the men in blue. Oh so close! I'm really liking what Foley has to say too. He's building a side full of character. I just hope we hold on to the players who are putting this together..... Like Cummins.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    After a 6 day turn around, after completing 200 tackles last week and a trans continental and trans tasman flight, it was a mighty effort!

vCash
    I thought it was a gutsy performance to claw back to so close. Alby really sparked things when he came on for Sheehan who looked to be struggling with clearing ruck ball. Rasolea needed to be brought on 15mins earlier too.
    The option to take a 55m penalty kick with 4mins to go was a disaster. Never had a hope of kicking that. We should have put it into the 22 and worked to FG or PG position. Poorly managed period that should have used a per centage play then kicking in a heavy atmosphere.
    Dellitts 2nd try was a magical piece of teamwork in the build-up.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash
    NTT- Was that to be sure to be sure?

vCash
    And now they have another huge flight back to Perth before playing the Shorkies.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NTT View Post
    I thought it was a gutsy performance to claw back to so close. Alby really sparked things when he came on for Sheehan who looked to be struggling with clearing ruck ball. Rasolea needed to be brought on 15mins earlier too.
    The option to take a 55m penalty kick with 4mins to go was a disaster. Never had a hope of kicking that. We should have put it into the 22 and worked to FG or PG position. Poorly managed period that should have used a per centage play then kicking in a heavy atmosphere.
    Dellitts 2nd try was a magical piece of teamwork in the build-up.
    Again I turned it off after about 15 minutes as I was screaming the same thing that Hodgson said when the referee (loosely use that term) gave him the team warning. I don't know about the rest, but that particular display was one of the worst I've seen from a referee in a long time.

vCash
    Some great rugby the spoiling tactics in the first half may have been bette deployed later in the second half. But great work from all involved.
    Did I see a hint of a side stepp from the Babger in the second half? Maybe it was a bounce of someone
    I would guess the boys are not that pleased but "sh1t" they only lost by a point to the champs.
    Foley is on to something!
    Now you have to ream the Sharks!

(My old team)
    Before The FORCE

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Sias has made longer kicks, it was obvious that he took some turf into it, I thought it was a good move but his kick out of the 22 with 30 secs to go wasnt so good, reminded me of his first game. Good effort from the boys besides the bazillion penalties in the first half
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    (Sias) I just couldn't work out his plan at about the 19th min (from a restart) it looked as though he just hacked it.
    Notice that they have taken the kicking away from him!!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I wasn't sure why Sheehan started. It was a dumb selection. Mathewson has been in great form. The pace of the game accelerated when he came on. We looked like a dangerous attacking team with the fast clearances. The Chiefs were on the hop.

It isn't very often that the Chiefs are outscored in terms of tries. One goal kick short ........again!!

It was a magnificent performance. It is so frustrating to lose by a few points in so many games. At least they never go away. It's great to have the character back. Everybody had a real go.

Controversy corner

vCash
    That's all I ask of a team; having a real red hot dig. There's been a couple of hiccups so far but this group is developing character. The D has been outstanding and, contrary to what some have said tonight, I saw glimmers of some attacking combinations emerging.

The frustration has been the under performing against the teams they should easily account for. Hopefully they have gained enough confidence to get past that and finish off with 5 top drawer home performances.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player
    vCash
    I am so pleased and can't wait to watch the lads at the NIB on friday night the way they have improved under the direction of Michael Foley and the rest of the coaching team has been a pleasure to watch. The signs for next season are very encouraging the culture that has been implemented is starting to show results. I know we have been somewhat unlucky with injuries to key players and being penalised countless times for line out's not being straight which in my view went along way to us not getting the all important win against the Chiefs.

We have so much talent that is only getting better with the exposure that they have had so far this season couple in the additions we have already got confirmed for next season and the undoubted new arrivals I truly believe a first super 15 finals berth is nailed on for the EWF next season

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    You know I am beginning to think our defensive structure is really something that we can be proud of, and something that we should acknowledge.

Perhaps against the Sharkies we can, at the appropriate time, bring in a D-FENCE chant.

Sure its a bit Basketball-ish - but what the hell - The boys protect our try line like no other side in Super Rugby - they deserve our backup.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    The last 2 weeks...

Western Force - 32 vs 2011 & 2012 Super Rugby Champs - 33

We're getting there!!!!

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast