Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sheehan, Hayward back for Hodgson milestone

vCash

Sheehan, Hayward back for Hodgson milestone

Scrumhalf Brett Sheehan will complete his successful return from injury when he joins the Emirates Western Force’s starting line-up to face the Chiefs at ECOLight Stadium, Pukekohe on Friday night.

Sheehan made his nib Stadium homecoming off the bench in the Emirates Western Force’s 11-all draw with the Queensland Reds last weekend after recovering from an ankle injury suffered in the Wallabies’ 22-19 win over Italy in November.

The 33-year-old, who will play his 90th Super Rugby match this week, will run on for star recruit Alby Mathewson, who has been named on the reserves list after starting in each of the Force’s 11 Super Rugby fixtures in 2013.

The other change to the Emirates Western Force starting XV sees Jayden Hayward return to fullback, where he has started on three occasions this season.

Emirates Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley says it’s important the Force builds on their character-defining performance against the Reds.

“Our performance versus the Reds can be directly attributed to the squad’s hard work and desire to play for each other and our supporters” he said.

“Being able to repeat good performances is something every team aspires to and I believe the boys are taking important steps towards achieving consistency through the high standards they’re setting and expecting of each other.

Foley added that Friday presents a good test for his side against the New Zealand conference front-runners.

“The Chiefs are the reigning Super Rugby champions and we see the match on Friday night as an exciting challenge,” he said.

“We will need to reproduce the same guts we showed in defence against the Reds as well as ensuring our decision-making, work rate and accuracy with the ball allows us to build consistent pressure on the Chiefs.

“We’re in a fortunate position to have depth at ‘9’ with Alby, Brett and Mick Snowden, and having Brett return to the field last week allows us to use two internationals as part of our match squad against the Chiefs.”

Flanker Matt Hodgson will lead the side in a record 93rd Super Rugby appearance for the Emirates Western Force – eclipsing the previous record held by inaugural captain Nathan Sharpe (92 caps).

Hodgson, who took over the captaincy this season, was a member of the Emirates Western Force’s foundation side in 2006 and has been an unrelenting performer for the Western Australians, recognised by his two Player of the Year Awards for the club (2009, 2010) and three Force Man gongs (2006, 2007, 2010).

“As a team, we’re all thrilled for Hodgo,” Foley said. “He is someone who is respected throughout the entire Force family.

“His hard work and commitment to the club is recognised within the team and by our staff and supporters. I’m certain the boys will be keen to do their bit to make it a memorable occasion for him tomorrow night.”

2013 Super Rugby – Week 13
    Emirates Western Force v Chiefs
    ECOLight Stadium, Pukekohe
    Friday, 10 May 2013
    Kick-off: 7.35pm (local)/4.35pm (AWST)

1. Pek Cowan
    2. Heath Tessmann
    3. Kieran Longbottom
    4. Toby Lynn
    5. Sam Wykes
    6. Matt Hodgson (c)
    7. Chris Alcock
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Brett Sheehan
    10. Sias Ebersohn
    11. Nick Cummins
    12. Kyle Godwin
    13. Ben Jacobs
    14. Patrick Dellit
    15. Jayden Hayward

Reserves
    16. James Hilterbrand
    17. Tetera Faulkner
    18. Rory Walton
    19. Richard Brown
    20. Alby Mathewson
    21. Junior Rasolea
    22. Sam Norton-Knight
    http://www.westernforce.com.au/NewsE...7/Default.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    NO CTM

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Ah, Sias again? Really? Fly-Half?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Champion
    vCash
    I have no expectation this weekend but I hope they put up a good fight. At least Hayward is there for kicking if needed.

vCash
    Good selection with some new blood and the chance of people playing their hearts out to keep their spots. Hope the bench is used wisely and everyone get to play..
    Changes should start around the 65 min mark..

I do understand that things can change atime for replacements but by 70th min all should be on

The recking ball walton once toby or sam shows any signs of fatigue

Alby to change direction of play once cheifs see a pattern

Brownie when Alby goes on for any of the back 3 at signs of fitigue

Give Jnr the hard hitting role when he see a sign of fitigue with the chiefs backs

do the front row change as 1 hilters and tetera sending messages out with them

Hope Foley does as this would really make a game of it fresh legs

vCash
    Milestone matches never go well for us
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    NO CTM
    Gaffa,

Have you actually watched CTM play yet? What is it about him that you fancy so much? I'm not bagging the bloke, but I have watched him play three times this season and he hasn't been outstanding in Premier grade.

vCash
    Pretty strong bench.

With the exception of Hilterbrand (who I don't think came on for Tessman last week anyway) the rest of the bench is hardly a step down from the run-on players and give an option for fresh legs or a change in playing style.

A win against the Chiefs will be tough, but we've picked up results against the Reds and Crusaders, and both of them are in contention for the finals. :fingers crossed:

vCash
    And we should have beaten the Hurricanes too!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    NO CTM
    He may not be playing but the tweets say that "Uncle Jake" presented the boys jumpers today

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goony View Post
    Gaffa,

Have you actually watched CTM play yet? What is it about him that you fancy so much? I'm not bagging the bloke, but I have watched him play three times this season and he hasn't been outstanding in Premier grade.
    I can only go off what i saw at the Trial against Tonga and the vision from is time at souths in the shield.

I guess I just feel like we have nothing to lose by giving him a chance to show us what he has to offer. He is signed up for 2014 so just give him a shot. he cant be any worse than some of the players we had last year and who knows he could be anything.

The boys i speak to down at wests say some of the things he does at training and in games are crazy.

From the top of my head he and McCafree and Manu are the only ones who haven’t had a run. Why bring in Jacobs and pay another contract when we have CTM or Haywood who can both play 13.

vCash
    I can only go off what i saw at the Trial against Tonga and the vision from is time at souths in the shield.

I guess I just feel like we have nothing to lose by giving him a chance to show us what he has to offer. He is signed up for 2014 so just give him a shot. he cant be any worse than some of the players we had last year and who knows he could be anything.

The boys i speak to down at wests say some of the things he does at training and in games are crazy.

From the top of my head he and McCafree and Manu are the only ones who haven’t had a run. Why bring in Jacobs and pay another contract when we have CTM or Haywood who can both play 13.
    I agree - he should be given a shot ahead of Jacobs etc but his time will come. I was just wondering what the fascination was, trying to get an insight in to whether you had seen him display some freakish abilities or something? He has been playing good, but not great... Manu is still young for a prop and McCaffrey surely can't be far from getting a gig, but we can't just play players because they are on the squad list - this isn't under 14's anymore!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goony View Post
    I agree - he should be given a shot ahead of Jacobs etc but his time will come. I was just wondering what the fascination was, trying to get an insight in to whether you had seen him display some freakish abilities or something? He has been playing good, but not great... Manu is still young for a prop and McCaffrey surely can't be far from getting a gig, but we can't just play players because they are on the squad list - this isn't under 14's anymore!
    for sure i can see why Manu and McCaffrey have got on but why Bring in Jacobs when you already have player on the pay roll.

vCash
    Jacobs was at the Tahs, and although not at the same time as Foley, he may have known about Jacobs through there. When Jacobs became available, Foley may have asked him to come to Perth, despite there not being a spot available in the squad or EPS, to evaluate him.

Having watched the match again, Jacobs did a lot of work, especially for someone who hasn't played Super Rugby for 5 years, and maybe that's what Foley has seen of him in training. In addition, he provides an older head in the middle of the backs, something we lack as many of the other centres are young, which could help Godwin (not that Godwin has seemed to need it!)

vCash
    Just had a look at the team page on westernforce.com.au and Jacobs is already on the site. Mafi has been purged, and Eaton's not there, either.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast