Thread: Force returns Holmes to Perth

Veteran
    vCash

Force returns Holmes to Perth

Local Perth product and Brumbies utility back Zack Holmes will return to Western Australia to link with the Emirates Western Force for 2014 and 2015.

The Perth-born flyhalf/fullback joins current Brumbies teammate Ian Prior, and Reds and Wallabies outside back Luke Morahan as the Force’s new recruits for next year’s Super Rugby season.

Holmes, 22, made his Super Rugby debut for the Brumbies against the Chiefs in 2012 and has amassed 74 points in just nine appearances for the ACT province, including a 22-point haul against the Hurricanes last year.

The former Aquinas College student was also a member of the Australian Sevens side that finished third in the 2009/2010 IRB Sevens World Series.

Holmes, who represented the WA Schoolboys (2007) and was a member of RugbyWA’s Bankwest Academy in 2009, says he’s excited about to returning to WA and continuing his Super Rugby career with the Emirates Western Force.

“I’ve enjoyed how the Force has gone about their footy this year and I’m looking forward to getting back home,” he said.

“I was involved with the club in junior programs and the Academy since I was 15 and the goal when I was younger was always to play for the Force. While I’ve since moved over east, when the opportunity came up to move home it was very tempting and it’s a decision I think’s best for my development moving forward.

“The Force is in a similar situation to what I came into at the Brumbies. Over the past two years the side has grown and developed, and there’s no reason why the Force can’t do the same.”

Head Coach Michael Foley says Holmes is another quality addition to the Emirates Western Force backline in 2014.

“We’re very pleased to bring a Perth local home to represent the Force,” he said.

“Zack’s a very promising player, who has shown his ability at both Sevens and Super Rugby levels.

“We’re looking forward to Zack joining the team as he provides a quality option in the key positions of ‘10’ and ‘15’.”

Name: Zack Holmes
    Born: 30/05/1990
    Position: Flyhalf/fullback
    Height: 1.75m
    Weight: 87kg
    Representative Rugby: 2012-2013 Brumbies, 2009-2011 Australian Sevens, 2007 WA Schoolboys

http://www.westernforce.com.au/NewsE...1/Default.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Solid signing!!! Foley is doing really good things for this club!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    That's a relief, the more time passed from last weeks match the more I was wondering about second thoughts...

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Great news.

I still don't like these announcements mid-season though.

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    That's a relief, the more time passed from last weeks match the more I was wondering about second thoughts...
    I hear you Andy, I was wondering too...

Anyway - solid signing and great to see another WA boy on his way home to represent the team!

I especially like the part about playing in the academy, and always wanting to play for the Force. it may be lip service, but it is exactly the kind of culture I want in our team.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    he was signed before last week's game,but not announced until now

Apprentice
    vCash
    Welcome back Zack quality player and looking forward to watching the new players in 2014

vCash
    I think that the quality of the signings thus far lack ambition and are indicative of the mediocracy that has blighted this club in the last few years. None of these signings has set the rugby world alight and do not add anything to our squad. Lift your game Force

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    good to see you are still a glass half full supporter

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    'Cos we've done so well buying established "stars"...

Think I'd rather we made some.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfiep View Post
    I think that the quality of the signings thus far lack ambition and are indicative of the mediocracy that has blighted this club in the last few years. None of these signings has set the rugby world alight and do not add anything to our squad. Lift your game Force
    Sorry mate, but I can't agree with you less. Zac Holmes is an awesome signing, regardless of whether he sets the world alight or not. It is a case of bringing the WA boys home and showing our local talent (and the rest of the country) that were serious about offering a pathway for local kids.

I hope that WA boys will no longer feel that they have to look east to crack a contract in the big show.

(ps two aquinas boys in the squad, come on Hale, lift your game!)

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfiep View Post
    out of interest, who would you rather we be chasing?

Prior: a young up-&-coming halfback capable of starting or as understudy to Sheehan/Alby.
    Holmes: a young up-&-coming (Perth produced) flyhalf who has been playing extremely well and nearly took the Brumbes to the finals last year despite the injuries to their first choice 10/12.
    Faulkner: emerging prop who has shown he is more than capable as Super level and has played with amazing maturity for a young head.
    MMM: surely you can't question this signing? he was tearing up all comers before his injury.
    Wykes: ok, some debate over this one, but there is potential.
    Macalman: solid super player. nothing fancy but does the job well.

I am trying to think of anyone signed recently that fits your description? To be honest I feel that the signings so far have one eye on the future, and are looking to build a dynasty.

Last edited by Marty_Mcfly; 03-05-13 at 10:02.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    At the start of last year, before the Brumbies started winning, I remember thinking/saying that the team looked like a who's who of nobody players and that they would wooden spoon it. They had three Wallabies in their side- Moore, Alexander and McCabe. It's not about the big names- although we could definitely use a top class lock. I read an article in the West this morning that was talking about Zack Holmes always wanted to play for the Force. We can turn Prior, Holmes and Godwin into our own White, Toomua, Lealiifano. More than anything I think it is about stability. We've had another three fly-halves this year. To go with a completely different three (starting) used last year and two other different 10s the year before that and about 4 the year before that.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Sorry mate, but I can't agree .....
    Don't be sorry. It's a grand point!!

Besides we need some (more) WA blood in the side to steel the defense in games that are close in the final minutes. I feel it's an investment in geography that is the difference in those situations.

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc