Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wykes and Faulkner Re-sign for Further 2 Years

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Wykes and Faulkner Re-sign for Further 2 Years

The Emirates Western Force has further consolidated its forward pack with lock Sam Wykes and front-rower Tetera Faulkner each re-signing with the club for a further two years.

Wykes and Faulkner join fellow forwards Matt Hodgson, Hugh McMeniman and Ben McCalman in recommitting to the long-term plan for the Emirates Western Force.

Wykes made his Super Rugby debut for the Western Australian side as a 19-year-old against the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein in 2008. This year he brought up his 50th Super Rugby cap against the Melbourne Rebels in Perth, a milestone that had been previously delayed by a knee reconstruction last season.

The former Australian Schoolboys, Under 19 and Under 20 representative says he’s keen to remain a part of the relaunch of the Emirates Western Force.

“To continue playing alongside great players like Hugh McMeniman, Matt Hodgson, Pek Cowan and Ben McCalman, who I’ve played with since Under 16’s, made the decision [to re-sign] a very easy one,” he said.

“We’re a really tight team this season. The team dynamic has changed this year and Foles [Head Coach Michael Foley] has brought a real team culture and not just words on paper but a more determined-rather-than-disappointed approach which every player is committed to.

“We’ve all really bought into what’s happening at the club. It’s long-term success that we are driving towards and while we’ve had a couple of good wins and some narrow losses this year, there’s a long-term goal and I want to be a part of that.

“I definitely want to be part of something good and successful and I believe the Force is building that.”

Faulkner has developed into a technically excellent scrummager in Super Rugby and risen through the ranks of the Australian Schoolboys, Australian Under 19’s and Under 20’s.

The 24-year-old originally signed with the Emirates Western Force during the 2011 Super Rugby season, and made his provincial debut for the Force against the Rebels in Melbourne that year.

Faulkner says he’s excited to be continuing his career with the Emirates Western Force.

“I’ve had a lot more game time this year and I’ve learnt a lot and feel like I can really continue to improve and develop my game here at the Force,” he said.

“It’s great to be training and learning off a number of experienced front-rowers at the club. This team’s a really close group and we’re definitely moving in the right direction.

“I’m excited to stay in Perth; it’s home for me now, especially with my little kids growing up here and my wife loves it so I’m really happy to be staying.”

Foley says maintaining players such as Wykes and Faulkner is an important step for the growth of the side.

“It’s further endorsement for what we’re looking to achieve as a team to have guys like Sam and Tetera re-commit to the club,” he said.

“Sam’s returned to the field following a knee reconstruction last year; he’s responded to the extra responsibility he’s taken on within the team and will continue to develop as a leader into the future.

“While still relatively young for a prop, Tetera has shown good development as a two-sided prop, and will continue to be an asset to the side moving forward.”

Name: Sam Wykes
    Born: 25/04/1988
    Position: Lock
    Height: 197cm
    Weight: 111kg
    Super Rugby caps: 53
    Super Rugby points: 10 (2t)
    Representative Rugby: 2008 Australian Under 20, 2006-07 Australian Under 19, 2005 Australian Schoolboys

Name: Tetera Faulkner
    Born: 26/07/1988
    Position: Prop
    Height: 178cm
    Weight: 117kg
    Super Rugby caps: 11
    Super Rugby points: 0
    Representative Rugby: 2008 Australian Under 20, 2007 Australian Under 19, 2006 Australian Schoolboys

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Champion
    vCash
    Anyone know why Faulkner ended up playing club on Sat

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash

Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    we still need a good lock, Sam is injury cover unless he gets back to his pre injury form.

having Faulkner without having to play maafu is a masterstroke.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Good move to sign up Faulkner, happy with that.

Not happy with Wykes though. Even if he is injury cover, all it takes is a big injury like MMM has & then Wykes is your starting lock for the rest of the season. He's gone as soft as shit since Sharpie left. Here's a post I put on after the 'Canes game.

"My Mooloo neighbour is round to watch the Chiefs game. He commented earlier how it would be impossible for our no 5 (Wykes) to scare anyone when he looks like a "homosexual hairdresser"!"

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Echo the thoughts of WFDS I would like to see the force management go out and actively recruit a better lock than Wykes

vCash
    Wykes 2 years ago was tearing up the opposition at either lock or 6, where he played due to injuries to Pocock and Brown. If he can get back into that form he'd be my choice to partner Madness ahead of Lynn.

I don't know if the issue with Wykes is an accumulation of injuries, being unable to reach the same level of fitness, or simply a loss of desire. But I welcome re-signing him as he can play multiple positions and if he can regain form he can be a useful weapon.

vCash
    I agree with that Sheikh, but since he came back he has been a shadow.

Before he got injured he was showing great potential, but hadn't developed fully into it yet.

It would be a shame for him to finish his super rugby career not having achieved the heights he is capable of.

C'mon the

vCash
    Hopefully he does it here. Because i can't see him getting a start with another super franchise. He would have to go overseas for a bench spot.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I have never been a big fan of Wykes but I believe that he is currently playing injured. For the last month or so, when I have seen a camera zoom in on Wykes it looks to me like he is struggling with a groin injury.

I am not making excuses for anyone, has anyone else seen what I have seen?

You have to wonder why Pheonix hasnt got a call up?

You have to wonder what the Coaches are thinking.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    What the Coaches are thinking is that they want to get a squad of their choice to suit their plans, not what Woody left them to deal with.

I'll reserve judgement until Foles get a crack with HIS line up.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Rookie
    vCash
    Wykes isn't big enough to be a top quality lock. He is better suited to the back row. We have an embarrassment of riches there however. He would be a good impact player off the bench if he wasn't hampered by injury/niggles. Most pro forwards play with niggles and low grade injuries. He is still worth resigning though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Wykes 2 years ago was tearing up the opposition at either lock or 6, where he played due to injuries to Pocock and Brown. If he can get back into that form he'd be my choice to partner Madness ahead of Lynn.
    I don't know if the issue with Wykes is an accumulation of injuries, being unable to reach the same level of fitness, or simply a loss of desire. But I welcome re-signing him as he can play multiple positions and if he can regain form he can be a useful weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    It would be a shame for him to finish his super rugby career not having achieved the heights he is capable of.
    Yeah, I think that's what we want from our players in general. It's unfortunate that we've gotten to the point of wanting to get rid of him, but its only because we want to see him back to his best.

I have to contend that something is amiss at the Force, there's several players on our roster who have been great in the past; and all we want, is to see them rediscover that form. Pat Dellit was a hell of a centre, bursting over the advantage line, hard to tackle - but that was last year; now he's seen as a winger who can't defend. Poor old Nick Cummins has niggling injuries and no start. I've heard him described as one-dimensional on this forum, yet I remember him being one of the most gifted stepping-weaving ball-runners I've seen, when he was a young player.

Tamaiti Horua, Gene Fairbanks, Napolioni Nalaga, Brock James, all of them just couldn't get it right in Perth, all talented guys. I'm just glad Ed Stubbs has got a start this season, I hope to see Chris Tuatara-Morrison at some stage too. Anybody have any info on him from club rugby?

Being a member since our inception, I'm loathe to admit this, but all in all, I'm a bit worried that being profligate with talent might be part of the Western Force's culture. The Alfie Mafi thing hasn't helped either.

Last edited by chibi; 20-04-14 at 01:48.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Faulkner is a solid signing. I would be keen to see Manu get a bit more gametime too though as I think he has some great potential.

With Wykes...
    As Exile says he might be struggling with injury still.

I have a feeling that the majority of us just want to see this hard running, fit and fiery Sam Wykes again:

As opposed to this powderpuff:

vCash

That's gold.

Last edited by chibi; 01-05-13 at 14:54.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast