Thread: FORCE BEATEN BY RAMPANT BRUMBIES

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

FORCE BEATEN BY RAMPANT BRUMBIES

A clinical Brumbies outfit has defeated the Emirates Western Force, 41-7, at Canberra Stadium tonight.

The result was a disappointing one for the visitors after solid performances against the Crusaders and Hurricanes in the past fortnight.

The Force allowed the Brumbies to gallop out to a 29-0 half-time lead and, while the second term proved a more balance contest, Emirates Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley said his side could not afford to provide opposition sides with that number of opportunities moving forward.

“Playing against one of the top sides, we knew we had to execute early and we didn’t do that,” he said. “There were some unforced errors and the Brumbies were good enough with their line speed and defence – which we knew were going to be strong – to create some more for us.

“The Brumbies played very well but there were some times out there that we made errors that cost us.”

While the Force controlled the ball through the opening exchanges of the match, it was the Brumbies that drew first blood when fullback Jesse Mogg found a gap in the defensive line to score after five minutes.

The rest of the half belonged to the Brumbies, with the ACT side returning double the possession of the Force and capitalising through a try to Tevita Kuridrani, a double to winger Henry Speight and an additional nine points through the accurate goal-kicking of Christian Lealiifano to provide themselves a 29-point lead at the break.

While the Force made a promising start to the second term, peppering the Brumbies’ line, they were unable to land the final necessary scoring blow.

In contrast, the Brumbies managed to extend their lead when Matt Toomua set up winger Joe Tomane (51st minute), and Pat McCabe put replacement hooker Siliva Siliva over for his first Super Rugby try in the 69th minute.

The Emirates Western Force managed a late try through Matt Hodgson, when the Western Australian skipper powered over off the back of a rolling maul from an attacking lineout with six minutes remaining. Fullback Jayden Hayward added the extras to finalise the 41-7 result.

Foley said putting together back-to-back performances is a key challenge in the development of his young side.

“Every game we’re chasing that little bit of consistency in our performance,” he said.

“We’ve got a lot of young guys that are hitting highs some weeks but not necessarily able to back that up; but over time you develop that consistency and certainly playing the derby games mean a lot to us and that’s why we’re so disappointed tonight.”

The Emirates Western Force will return to Perth to face the Reds at nib Stadium on Saturday, 4 May.

2013 Super Rugby – Week 11
    Saturday, 27 April 2013 at Canberra Stadium, Canberra
    Kick-off: 7.40pm (local)/5.40pm (local)

Brumbies 41 (Henry Speight 2; Siliva Siliva, Jesse Mogg, Tevita Kuridrani, Joe Tomane tries; Christian Lealiifano 4/6 conversions, 1/1 penalties) defeated Emirates Western Force 7 (Matt Hodgson try; Jayden Hayward 1/1 conversion)
    Emirates Western Force
    1. Pek Cowan, 2. Heath Tessmann, 3. Salesi Ma’afu, 4. Toby Lynn, 5. Sam Wykes, 6. Ben McCalman, 7. Matt Hodgson (c), 8. Richard Brown, 9. Alby Mathewson, 10. Sam Norton-Knight, 11. Ed Stubbs, 12. Kyle Godwin, 13. Junior Rasolea, 14. Patrick Dellit, 15. Jayden Hayward. Res: 16. James Hilterbrand, 17. Kieran Longbottom, 18. Rory Walton, 19. Chris Alcock, 20. Mick Snowden, 21. Sias Ebersohn, 22. Winston Stanley.
    Coach: Michael Foley
    Brumbies
    1. Scott Sio, 2. Stephen Moore, 3. Ben Alexander, 4. Peter Kimlin, 5. Sam Carter, 6. Fotu Auelua, 7. George Smith, 8. Ben Mowen (c), 9. Nic White, 10. Matt Toomua, 11. Joe Tomane, 12. Christian Lealiifano, 13. Tevita Kuridrani, 14. Henry Speight, 15. Jesse Mogg. Res: 16. Siliva Siliva, 17. Ruaidhri Murphy, 18. Leon Power, 19. Colby Faingaa, 20. Ian Prior, 21. Pat McCabe, 22. Robbie Coleman.
    Coach: Jake White
    Yellow Cards: Stephen Moore (44th minute)
    Red Cards: Nil
    Referee: Angus Gardner
    Referee: 12,517

By the clock

Min Details Score
    5 Jesse Mogg Try 5-0
    6 Christian Lealiifano Missed Con 5-0
    18 Henry Speight Try 10-0
    18 Christian Lealiifano Conversion 12-0
    21 Christian Lealiifano Penalty Goal 15-0
    25 Tevita Kuridrani Try 20-0
    26 Christian Lealiifano Conversion 22-0
    39 Henry Speight Try 27-0
    40 Christian Lealiifano Conversion 29-0
    44 Stephen Moore Sin Bin 29-0
    51 Joseph Tomane Try 34-0
    53 Christian Lealiifano Conversion 36-0
    69 Siliva Siliva Try 41-0
    70 Christian Lealiifano Missed Con 41-0
    74 Matt Hodgson Try 41-5
    75 Jayden Hayward Conversion 41-7

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    The Reds will be licking their lips at the thought of the revenge they take out of our hides next week after our performance tonight.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying 14 View Post
    The Reds will be licking their lips at the thought of the revenge they take out of our hides next week after our performance tonight.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Or they will be shitting their pants because they know the boys will be fired up to make sure what happened tonight doesnt happen again.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I haven't watched the second half and don't know whether I'll bother. But what the hell happened they were never even in the game. Ref/TMO didn't help. But that was dismal. I expected more.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    After our woeful performances so far this season (Kings and Rebels at home) we've put in good performances the following week (Bulls and Crusaders) so I'm hoping we do the double over the Reds!

vCash
    21 turnovers. 28 missed tackles.
    The brumbies are top for a reason. They showed us why last night.
    Can't have those stats and come out winners.

Was hoping we would have made a bit more of a game of it though.

The brumbies had 16 penalties to our 7. Pity there was only one carding. Jake white is creating a culture where the ponies just don't give a shit about infringing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Veteran
    vCash
    Yeah his interview said that they were a little hard done by when competing for the ball at the breakdown. They got away with mirder, especially on the red zone, some thing like 6in total.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    They are blatant infringements as well. Slapping the ball down etc.
    anything to kill opposistion momentum and pressure. It's against the spirit of the game IMO
    Last night aside the brumbies are quickly overtaking the tahs as my most hated team
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Did anyone tip the 34 point margin?

Veteran
    vCash
    Murph, when?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Have to admit, I've actually enjoyed watching the tahs play this season on occassion. Agree that the Brumbies do toe awfully close to the line - the number of times they attempted to play from an offside position last night can not be an accident. Still, as the Force didn't turn up till the last 10 minutes, I can't complain

vCash
    I'm actually becoming a bit of a fan of the Brumbies, they are looking more and more like the AllBlacks every time I see them.

not only are they infringing at will, they are getting away with it and aggressively challenging anybody (even the sole judge of law) when they are challenged over it.

Welcome to modern rugby, this could bode well for the Wallabies.

C'mon the

vCash
    The day we become as precious as the kiwis is the day I take a grater to my tattoo & stop watching the game
    Posted via Mobile Device

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    The Brumbies were awesome. We were outplayed all over the park.

The Wallabies should be made up of a majority of Brumbies players although unfortunately the Tahs will once again dominate selection.

coz Stone Cold says so

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Two Brumbies fans in front of me have had $$ on Mogg scoring first try every game this year and have won something like 5 of 7 I think they said. But I guess Izzy will be the Wallabies full back?

Jargs got lucky on that one as well on Saturday IIRC.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!