Thread: Foley shuffles Force troops

Senior Player
    vCash

Foley shuffles Force troops

Western Force coach Michael Foley has selected another new-look back line for today's Super Rugby clash with the Hurricanes in Wellington.

Foley has juggled a number of players and positions in the past month and yesterday picked his third centre pairing in as many weeks.

Junior Rasolea moves to inside centre from the No.13 position, with Winston Stanley returning to fill that spot. Patrick Dellit replaces Alfie Mafi on the wing.

There are two enforced changes to the pack where prop Tetera Faulkner and flanker Angus Cottrell replace the injured Salesi Ma'afu and Ben McCalman.

Mafi, the competition's equal leading try scorer, is on the bench. He joins Kieran Long- bottom, returning from a week off after a head knock, and uncapped hooker James Hilterbrand, who flew to New Zealand on Wednesday as a late replacement for Ben Whittaker.

He has returned home for personal reasons.

Centre Kyle Godwin, who has played all eight games this year, has been rested. The Force can expect a backlash from the Hurricanes after their loss to the Blues last weekend.

Foley said it was crucial his side stuck to its structures and did not waste any momentum from last Saturday night's 16-14 victory over the Crusaders.

"Last week the players set a new standard in preparation which reflected in how we played," Foley said.

"We worked extremely hard for each other and it's important we push for more of the same."

The Force need another big defensive effort, but the physical battering they took from the Crusaders, the trip to New Zealand and a six-day break will make life tough.

The Hurricanes are expected to return to their expansive running style after poor kicking against the Blues, but rain is forecast in Wellington and no team knows the notorious winds inside the "cake tin", Westpac Stadium, as well as the Hurricanes.

Force winger Ed Stubbs, who had an impressive debut against the Crusaders, gets another start.

He will be putting his body on the line again to stop devastating runners Conrad Smith and Julian Savea.

"I had a lot of fun on Saturday," Stubbs said.

"Defence is something I have worked on. I take a lot of aggression into games. I enjoy the contact.

"Saturday was a big occasion and a good result. I was relatively happy with my effort but there's a lot of stuff I've got to work on.

"It was a big win, a very gutsy win, and there were some positives, but it was just one win and we have to put it into context.

"As happy as we were, everyone is aware that in the scheme of things there's a long way to go and we have to repeat it against the Hurricanes."

Hurricanes and All Blacks hooker Dane Coles was ruled out yesterday after fracturing his right eye socket at training.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    OK, so the experiment failed.

Intensity was down, Dellit and Stanley were acceptable, but not awesome.

Please give us back the team from last week!

C'mon the

vCash
    I think it was acceptable!
    Guts were shown. Was puzzled by Stubbs sub. Second row is just not there. I think SW needs to drop to the bench. Srum looked better with Larse but think the ref f'd up a couple of scrums in the first half.
    TBH I thought we would lose by 7 or so.
    The boys showed guts and that's what I want to see.

May the FORCE be with you!

Veteran
    vCash
    how is phoenix going? we haven't seen much of him this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    how is phoenix going? we haven't seen much of him this season.
    Love Pheonix playing - always has a solid game without being flashy and a good reliable player.

vCash
    Phoenix has been getting a bit of game time with Wanneroo but nowhere near enough for my liking! He should definitely be given a chance in the EWF 22. He's chomping at the bit for sure!

Loved how well Gus played last night! He's another one who's been kept waiting in the wings and really showed what he could do when finally picked!

I think Foles is definitely taking this team places!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby