Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Western Force Team Announced - Wykes Eyes 50

vCash

Western Force Team Announced - Wykes Eyes 50

The Emirates Western Force has made three changes to its starting XV to tackle the Melbourne Rebels at nib Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Flanker Angus Cottrell and fullback Will Tupou return to the run-on side, while prop Kieran Longbottom replaces Pek Cowan in the starting front row after a strong performance off the bench against the Waratahs. Coincidently, Saturday’s match will be Longbottom’s first run-on appearance since starting at loosehead prop against the Rebels in Round 5, 2012.

Cottrell returns to the blindside flank with Ben McCalman shifting to the back of the scrum in place of Richard Brown.

Both Brown and Cowan have been rested after playing the bulk of time in the opening six matches.

In the backline, Tupou resumes his place at fullback with Alfie Mafi returning to his more customary position on the wing.

The match is set to mark Emirates Western Force lock Sam Wykes’ 50th Super Rugby cap for the province having made his debut as a 19-year-old against the Cheetahs in Week Two of the 2008 Super 14 competition. Wykes, who has played all but one match for the Force this season after missing the bulk of 2012 with hamstring, ankle and knee injuries, will start from the bench and will be joined by prop Tetera Faulkner and scrumhalf Mick Snowden, who have both been reinstated on the Western Australian reserves list.

Emirates Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley says his side is looking to turn around the result from the two sides’ season opener.

“This is a group with tremendous character that has taken big strides towards becoming the team we aspire to be,” he said.

“We’ve realised significant improvement in our defence shown by conceding just two tries in the past three matches. We’re also creating opportunities with ball in hand. The challenge for us is to ensure we’re patient to convert more of those opportunities into points.

“This week marks an important milestone for Sam [Wykes]. He’s been an excellent performer for the club over a number of years, he’s someone who has the respect of his teammates, and they’ll be doing everything they can to make it a memorable occasion for him on Saturday.”

Saturday’s encounter will also bring up the Emirates Western Force’s 50th home match in Super Rugby, having already recorded their 100th in the competition this season against the Bulls in in Pretoria in Week Three.

Matches between the Emirates Western Force and Rebels have traditionally been close, with the Melbourne side’s seven-point victory in Week One this year the greatest margin in five encounters between the two sides, with three of them decided by a lone point.

2013 Super Rugby – Week Eight
    Emirates Western Force v Rebels
    nib Stadium, Perth
    Saturday, 6 April 2013
    Kick-off: 4.40pm

1. Kieran Longbottom
    2. Heath Tessmann
    3. Salesi Ma’afu
    4. Toby Lynn
    5. Hugh McMeniman
    6. Angus Cottrell
    7. Matt Hodgson (c)
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Alby Mathewson
    10. Sias Ebersohn
    11. Alfie Mafi
    12. Kyle Godwin
    13. Winston Stanley
    14. Patrick Dellit
    15. Will Tupou

Reserves
    16. Ben Whittaker
    17. Tetera Faulkner
    18. Sam Wykes
    19. Chris Alcock
    20. Mick Snowden
    21. Sam Christie
    22. Sam Norton-Knight

http://www.rugbywa.com.au/NewsEvents...1/Default.aspx

Hmmmm not sure about Tupou, dunno what Junior did wrong to not get another run... and still no Badger

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    And Soletseat Ma'Food is still there

Still no Stubbsy

And I maintain my suspicions abt the HB despite what TIF says the HB told him!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UnionThug View Post
    The Emirates Western Force has made three changes to its starting XV to tackle the Melbourne Rebels at nib Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Flanker Angus Cottrell and fullback Will Tupou return to the run-on side, while prop Kieran Longbottom replaces Pek Cowan in the starting front row after a strong performance off the bench against the Waratahs. Coincidently, Saturday’s match will be Longbottom’s first run-on appearance since starting at loosehead prop against the Rebels in Round 5, 2012.

Cottrell returns to the blindside flank with Ben McCalman shifting to the back of the scrum in place of Richard Brown.

Both Brown and Cowan have been rested after playing the bulk of time in the opening six matches.

In the backline, Tupou resumes his place at fullback with Alfie Mafi returning to his more customary position on the wing.

The match is set to mark Emirates Western Force lock Sam Wykes’ 50th Super Rugby cap for the province having made his debut as a 19-year-old against the Cheetahs in Week Two of the 2008 Super 14 competition. Wykes, who has played all but one match for the Force this season after missing the bulk of 2012 with hamstring, ankle and knee injuries, will start from the bench and will be joined by prop Tetera Faulkner and scrumhalf Mick Snowden, who have both been reinstated on the Western Australian reserves list.

Emirates Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley says his side is looking to turn around the result from the two sides’ season opener.

“This is a group with tremendous character that has taken big strides towards becoming the team we aspire to be,” he said.

“We’ve realised significant improvement in our defence shown by conceding just two tries in the past three matches. We’re also creating opportunities with ball in hand. The challenge for us is to ensure we’re patient to convert more of those opportunities into points.

“This week marks an important milestone for Sam [Wykes]. He’s been an excellent performer for the club over a number of years, he’s someone who has the respect of his teammates, and they’ll be doing everything they can to make it a memorable occasion for him on Saturday.”

Saturday’s encounter will also bring up the Emirates Western Force’s 50th home match in Super Rugby, having already recorded their 100th in the competition this season against the Bulls in in Pretoria in Week Three.

Matches between the Emirates Western Force and Rebels have traditionally been close, with the Melbourne side’s seven-point victory in Week One this year the greatest margin in five encounters between the two sides, with three of them decided by a lone point.

2013 Super Rugby – Week Eight
    Emirates Western Force v Rebels
    nib Stadium, Perth
    Saturday, 6 April 2013
    Kick-off: 4.40pm

1. Kieran Longbottom
    2. Heath Tessmann
    3. Salesi Ma’afu
    4. Toby Lynn
    5. Hugh McMeniman
    6. Angus Cottrell
    7. Matt Hodgson (c)
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Alby Mathewson
    10. Sias Ebersohn
    11. Alfie Mafi
    12. Kyle Godwin
    13. Winston Stanley
    14. Patrick Dellit
    15. Will Tupou

Reserves
    16. Ben Whittaker
    17. Tetera Faulkner
    18. Sam Wykes
    19. Chris Alcock
    20. Mick Snowden
    21. Sam Christie
    22. Sam Norton-Knight

http://www.rugbywa.com.au/NewsEvents...1/Default.aspx

Hmmmm not sure about Tupou, dunno what Junior did wrong to not get another run... and still no Badger
    Agree - would/ve thought Junior is terrific for the whole game. STILL no Badger? Wot is going on? Am also dubious about Maafu - just waiting to see what penalty he causes this week, I'm afraid.

Champion
    vCash
    Please get rid of Ma'afu to France already, Wykes and time for Stanley to go.

Bring in Faulkner for Ma'afu / Brown for Wykes, Junior and CTM or Hayward in for Stanley and Christie... we have two fathers on the bench who can be our utlity player.

Players RESTED. Thats starts to give me the sh1ts.. They are professional YOUNG rugby players who should be out there. The Rest is called a BYE. Dont like it get over it (to Coaches and / or players) !!! 5 weeks into a season... REALLY !!!!

RANT OVER.

...New Rant....

Looks like Foley is a little like John Mitchell. Has his favourites, no matter how they play or what they do wrong / or right, no changes or variety in the selections. The deep backline hasn't been performing that well apart from Mafi, (IMHO) not much from the other winger, outside Centre, and full back in regards to attack. Variety is needed we have Hayward - CTM - 2 Fathers - Junior - HB ?? - Stubbs (great on paper, but none been used)

Last edited by benny; 05-04-13 at 16:46.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    And Soletseat Ma'Food is still there

Still no Stubbsy

And I maintain my suspicions abt the HB despite what TIF says the HB told him!!
    What suspicions do you have? The guy has an injury hence he isnt selected
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    What suspicions do you have? The guy has an injury hence he isnt selected
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I think there's more to it. As I said, just my suspicion and my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I think there's more to it. As I said, just my suspicion and my opinion.
    More to what though?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    yeah i dont get it

vCash
    Gaffa & HD - I don't want to elaborate publicly. Happy to chat privately if you're really interested.

vCash
    You are absolutely correct, this bloke is a penalty creating machine. How many points has he cost us so far this season?

vCash
    Sorry, I forgot to refer to Ma food

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    any type of win will do
    I am expecting a 4 try bonus point win to the Force - will not be happy with anything else. They've shown they can mix it with the best in the comp and be competitive. Now they need to show they can get results. We're seven games into the season now so legs should be stretched, skills honed. Time to show their fans that they can win AT HOME.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    I am expecting a 4 try bonus point win to the Force - will not be happy with anything else. They've shown they can mix it with the best in the comp and be competitive. Now they need to show they can get results. We're seven games into the season now so legs should be stretched, skills honed. Time to show their fans that they can win AT HOME.
    Legs so stretched and the skills so honed that they need to "rest" two of the best performers in Brownie and Pek, presumably on the advice of the Head of Athletic Performance

Wonder what Brownie and Pek think about being rested in a Lions tour year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast