Thread: HODGSON COMMITS TO EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

HODGSON COMMITS TO EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE

Captain Matt Hodgson has committed to the long-term plan of the Emirates Western Force by re-signing with the club for another two years.

With the club currently in the first phase of its relaunch, the new contract is set to see him become the first player to reach 100 Super Rugby matches for the Emirates Western Force.

The 31-year-old made his Super Rugby debut in the Force’s inaugural Super Rugby match against the Brumbies in 2006, and has amassed 85 matches over eight seasons for the Western Australian side.

Hodgson has been a mainstay in the Force’s back row and was appointed captain of the side for the 2013 Super Rugby season. His contribution to the club has previously been recognised with his three Force Man awards (for exhibiting the club’s ethos and values on the rugby field and in the community) in 2006, 2007 and 2010, as well as claiming the club’s Player of the Year award in 2009 and 2010.

Hodgson, who has represented the Wallabies on six occasions, says he’s looking forward to seeing through the redevelopment of the Emirates Western Force.

“Having begun my Super Rugby career here, it’s great to have the opportunity to end my career here in the west, and my life after rugby is definitely in Western Australia,” he said.

“Being part of the longer-term development of this side was a big motivation for re-signing. Once I got the captaincy, we discussed with Foles [Michael Foley] the plan for the side, and while it may take a few years, I’m really keen to be part of that and be part of the club improving each year and growing into a successful club.

“There’s a lot of young players coming in and playing their first games of Super Rugby or first games for the Force, and it gives me a lot of motivation to keep playing. The lure of playing 100 caps for the Force its another motivation and it’d be a great achievement to be the first person to achieve that for Western Australian rugby.

“While we’ve been disappointed by the results in the first three weeks, we’ve shown signs of what we’re capable of. We just need to be able to put that together consistently and once we do that we’ll be a real force to contend with.

“My wife and I love living in Perth and we didn’t want to go anywhere else. I’ve been here for eight years now, we’ve got a baby on the way and I’d love to be part of the first father-son rule for the Force.”

Head Coach Michael Foley says Hodgson’s retention was important for continuity in the improvement of the Emirates Western Force.

“As we look to build our side over the next three seasons, it’s a significant boost to have Hodgo on board during this period,” he said.

“Based on his commitment over the past eight years, Hodgo has earnt the respect of his teammates, opposition and our supporters and he was a standout candidate for the captaincy this season.

“He’s been heavily involved in helping develop the way we want to play and leading the standards we’ve set for this side, which is crucial in helping us to grow to become the team we want to become.”

Name: Matt Hodgson
    Born: 25/06/1981
    Position: Back row
    Height: 185cm
    Weight: 103kg
    Super Rugby caps: 85
    Super Rugby points: 25 (5t)
    Test caps: 6
    Test points: 0

Representative Rugby: 2009-2011 Wallabies, 2010 Australian Barbarians, 2005 & 2008 Australia A, 2004-2005 & 2008 Australian Sevens, 2002 Australian Under 21

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    From The west story: "The Force, who have more than 12 players off-contract this year

vCash
    So glad to hear this news - Matt's a natural leader and he and Sharpie were terrific over the past few years guiding the team when things were tough. Still can't work out he was overlooked for Wallaby contention. But I for one am glad we have him around!

Champion
    vCash
    He's not just a good rugby player, according to the piece in the West he has completed a Batchelor of Science and is now doing a Masters in Sports Law!

vCash
    Had a chat with his wife at the Fans day today - a really lovely woman and a Perth girl through and through :-))

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby