Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A Stronger Force Edged Out by Bulls

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    Is a short arm penalty after the siren play on? Someone enlighten me....
    From the laws - If time expires and a
    mark, free kick or penalty kick is then awarded, the referee allows play to continue.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Anyone know who got a run off the bench, or who didn't - need to confirm for POTY voting ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Think Tessman, Faulker, Snowden didn't get a run - the other four certainly did.

vCash
    Faulkner got a run.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Lots of dodgy line out throws from both sides we were the only one to get blown up however. Loved the cheese chip kick regather showing off the skills

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Interesting game. For what they are worth, here are my random thoughts:

I thought Hodgo was a better ball carrier than that. He is dynamite in defence, but I thought pretty ineffectual when carrying.

Lineouts started badly, but improved as the game went on. Maybe Cheese is a confidence player and this gets reflected in his L/O throwing?

As with that famous Crusaders match, everyone seems to be thinking "was was robbed", but how many actually thought we'd get within striking distance for a win? Perspective please people. It was a much better performance by the lads in that game and I, for one, am proud of their resolve.

Ebersohn was excellent for the most part. Keep him at 10.

Scrum pack was also good for the most part. Both scrum halves were allowed to skew feed all game. I didn't see the ref's call/signal for that last FK, and I never listen to the commentators' opinion, so I dunno why the FK. You get that though, can't blame that last minute for losing the game.

Tight 5 was good, especially the locks, in general play. Loosies were pretty good.

HB was good when he got the opportunity. Very solid in kick receival/return.

Kyle was solid with limited opportunity. He can stay in the run-on side.

Back line seemed better co-ordinated.

Defence was much better this week. I thought it had gone missing in action in the first two games and was fearing a blow-out in this game. My faith was restored.

Wykes was used sparingly, but seemed effective when he came on. Maybe he's learning he's not automatic pick and will now knuckle down and do his job when called on. Good signs for him.

Although the ref cannot be blamed, it should be noted that was his Super Rugby debut (and that would have been the game to "blood"someone, given the perceived ranking of the game). He made a few errors, which he will learn from. he had very high tolerance for some aspects and some low tolerances for others. he will have coaching and be better for it. Players need to adapt to the ref. Some did; some didn't. he didn't cost us the game.

All in all, while disappointed in the loss, I saw some good signs and am happy with that effort.

vCash
    Saw Tessman do one line out throw - but then Cheese did the next - so must have been a bloodbin or the like

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    ...Although the ref cannot be blamed, it should be noted that was his Super Rugby debut (and that would have been the game to "blood"someone, given the perceived ranking of the game)....
    That's at least 2 referee debuts over the last two seasons for Force games in SA - bottom dweller teams are so lucky

What was your take on Chilli Pepper's two clear outs - the second nearly concussed Pek in front of the AR. He was warned the first time for dangerous play so IMO he should have seen yellow.

Another plus point to last night's performance - we kept all our players on the pitch

vCash
    Such a different team attitude to last week - 200% on last weeks performance. Cummins seemed a bit of a disappointment - overenthusiastic and missing tackles and dumb moves, good with the high ball tho. Congrats to Toby he's been playing well the past 2 games. Am I wrong but there seemed a few times we have opportunities out wide but no runner in place! Would still like to some fast running onto the ball passes to try and break the line instead of standing flatfooted but basic skills were heaps better than last week! At least I don't have to listen to Saffa commentators blowing the 'Superb, magnificent, sensational, ....blah,blah, everytime a saffa player farts now they're back home!

vCash
    i thought Sias had a blinder, great kicking great distrubution and great defence, he even got stuck into a few rucks if i recall right, as did Kyle, i thought Stanley had an excellent game this week for a change, his defence was strong, his ball carries were good and he protected for the most part Badgers poor tackling. For all haywards fans touting him as the beesknees, what i saw didnt impress me much, his hack into touch on the full was pivotal.

Brownie had a clanger in defence early, which resulted in Steyns try but on the whole he had a good game, Cheese was great, good lineouts and good scrummaging.
    if anyone was off their game last night id say it was Hodgo unfortunatley, he just didnt have as big an impact at the breakdown as he needed to, he had a few knock ons and got pinged in the loose with some silly infringements. on the other hand Alcock had another blinder, Hodgo's position must surely be under pressure now after three weeks in a row of strong showings by Alcock. but i think its only fair for MOM to go to Ebersohn.

Champion
    vCash
    What was your take on Chilli Pepper's two clear outs - the second nearly concussed Pek in front of the AR. He was warned the first time for dangerous play so IMO he should have seen yellow.
    I think he's been cited for the first clean out on Alfi.

vCash
    I think Sias went okay; he defiantly has a very educated left boot (Best our club has had). He and Sammy Christie can hold down that 10 Jersey between the two of them and throw in a bit of FB and 2nd 5 and SNK we’re pretty well covered. (I hope they all have 2-3 yr contracts for our big picture)

Tupuo’s not as agile and light on his feet as I thought he was, I think he is defiantly suited to Outside Centre at this level, will have to look at his defensive organization first tho, but he’ll add something on attack from 13 without a doubt.
    Stanley is defensively very sound as a 13 should be, (Hence Cummins will never play 13) but unfortunitly he is a one trick pony there and I think a French or Jap contract is his best bet.

Kyle Goodwin is looking very strong (Thunder thighs) but just lacking confidence in his general kicking ability at the minute; I’ll expect him to be included in the Wallaby extended training squad - will be fark3n dark if he’s not!!!

It’s time for Eaton and Snowden to put a fark3n rocket up Alby’s ole. (Alby looked like he was possibly crook last night in his defence)

I would love to see more of Junior Ros’ and I think him, Cummins and Mafi as our back three supported by Christie, SNK & Dellit put us in strong standings to see out the season without to many dramas.

In the Centres - Tupuo, Stanley, Dellit, Hayward, CTM and Goodwin also put us in good stead for 2013.

I’m happy with our tight five and hope they keep improving, what I’m not happy with is Albies lack of organization of them, I know it’s not all him but he and the piggies need to work better together much like they did in Game 1.

I’m sorry but Alcock offers more than club captain Hodgo at 7, Cottrell has that 6 Jersey and Brownie and B Mac the No.8 Jersey. Hodgo may be out for a couple weeks so I hope our loosie depth in humming.

Ma'food scrummaged very strongly, that’s why he has Wallaby caps to his name and I expect him to leave us on a high this season. Cowan, Chesse and Tetera can also hold their heads high….Works boys!!!!!

Our aggression was very good last night, we hit rucks like the Kiwi teams, and I just hope we can keep it up. MMM you the man – Keep up the KO’s I haven’t seen the big Bulls rattled like that before.

A loss hurts me to the bone – but when the team is positive in their intentions on the pitch I’ll always back them and quickly calm myself after players little mistakes. I.e. Lynn’s dropped ball at about 64min, Cummins Brain fart in Defence at about 43min. But sh1t happens I’ve dropped more balls and missed more tackle than they’ve had hot dinners. They'll only get better for it I dear-say.

Blue & Gold blood through and through!!!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    We took the Bulls on at a kicking game and lost, what a surprise.

Forward play in general was good, so was the defense. Backline looked a little bit more organised, but still way too static. In particular, if you are going to play deeper you really can't afford to take the ball standing still although things improved a bit in the second half. Best of all was the attitude, which was a distinct improvement.

But I would not go anywhere near saying we'd turned much around. Step back and watch it again and what you see is a huge amount of ball kicked directly back down the throat of Kirchner, Basson and Steyn, which is hardly progress. And we actually mounted an attack on their line precisely one time in the whole match - our time in their 22m must have literally been in seconds. We defended well, but how we were in that game at all is frankly a bit of a mystery. The Bulls deserved the win and will be scratching their heads as to why it seemed so hard.

Mind you, while I love to see the rolling maul, I really hate seeing players join alongside the ball carrier who then blatently releases his bind, moves his arm onto the back of the joining player then slides to the back again. To me that is truck-and-trailer; either the gets passed ball or played. Just trailing behind with a hand on the back isn't bound either. Would have been interesting to see what the Bulls had if that had been the call...

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    if you reckon there was too much kicking in this game,just watch(actually,dont bother)the Sharks-stormers match...complete and utter bore-fest(excuse the pun)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast