Welcome to the West Crossy!

Ryan Cross
    DOB Oct 6, 1979
    Born in Sydney
    Position Centre
    Height 191cm
    Weight 95kg

c/o Fox Sports:

Former Australian Schoolboys full back Ryan Cross has returned to rugby union after a nine-year stint in league, signing a two-year contract with the Australian Rugby Union and RugbyWA today.

The 2005 Sydney Roosters player of the year will make an exciting backline combination at Western Force in his quest to gain selection for Australia for next year's Rugby World Cup.

Twenty six-year old Cross was a product of Waverly College in Sydney and played in the Australian Schoolboys team in 1996 and 1997 alongside fellow Roosters star Craig Wing, and Australia international past and present like David Lyons, George Smith, Phil Waugh, Adam Freier, Steve Kefu, Alister Campbell and Matt Dunning.

He crossed over to league in 1998, was a New South Wales City Origin selection in 2004 and 2005, and has scored more than 80 tries in over 130 first-grade appearances for the Roosters.

"In the end, I was able to make my decision with a strong focus on what I felt was best for me as a footballer and for my family," Cross said today.

"The rugby program explained to me by (Force coach) John Mitchell and (chief executive) Peter O'Meara and the opportunities and potential available in a developing rugby organisation like the Force ultimately tipped the scales in their favour.

"I also appreciated the encouraging words from (Wallabies coach) John Connolly.

"The challenge to make a successful return to rugby after so many enjoyable seasons with the Sydney Roosters is something I will certainly look forward to."

ARU chief Gary Flowers said he looked forward to Cross returning to the code.

"We lost two very talented Australian Schoolboys players to rugby league in 1998 in the shape of Ryan Cross and Craig Wing," Flowers said.

"It will be great to have Ryan back playing rugby and I look forward to seeing him return.

"He is a talented player whose previous experience in rugby should help him make a seamless transition back into the game."

Wallabies coach Connolly said that Cross was a great acquisition for the code.

"He is a good footballer and a player who I believe has a lot to offer the game," Connolly said

"We will be watching his progress with the Western Force with a great deal of interest."

Mitchell described Cross as a humble and talented player capable of providing the backline with another dimension.

"He's big and strong - a good sized outside centre who will certainly attract defenders.

"He's a good offloader of the ball, with adept footwork, and like most league players he has sound defensive technique," Mitchell said.

"What I also like about Ryan is that he's very fit and focused. He wants to be a Wallaby and we want people at this club with that kind of vision."

FOX SPORTS

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Well I said all along that I hoped he would come West. I just didn't see it after we signed Gits and Mitchell. But I've got to admit to a tinge of regret that we won't see Josh Graham smashing attackers in Force colours next year. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall. I'll watch him with interest when the Titans take the field in the NRL though.

PS the way the Roosters are performing in the NRL, Ryan Cross could possibly be available for the NPC.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    Well I said all along that I hoped he would come West. I just didn't see it after we signed Gits and Mitchell. But I've got to admit to a tinge of regret that we won't see Josh Graham smashing attackers in Force colours next year. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall. I'll watch him with interest when the Titans take the field in the NRL though.

PS the way the Roosters are performing in the NRL, Ryan Cross could possibly be available for the NPC.

Ryan is great acquisition for the Force as his early years suggest, welcome Ryan. I guess a one for swap is pretty fair.

Now Shasta who are the Titans and I would rather him stay in Oz and play the APC

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Thanks Burgs. I must been living on the other side of the country or something

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    I would rather him stay in Oz and play the APC

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    Thanks Burgs. I must been living on the other side of the country or something
    Well it is mungo ball after all, I wouldn't lose too much sleep mate

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yo innFORCERr:dont be so pedantic with Shasta,but i did notice a Tah connection there somewhere.
    Now where is Happy!

Apprentice
    vCash
    yeh this is good news but where we he fit into out starting team with #10-mackay or hilgendorf, #11- Ioane, #12 giteau, #13 staniforth, #14 mitchell, #15 shepherd
    with cross added it looks a really strong backine now and with the forwards impressing this yr things are lookin positive for next yr

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    To be honest I think we are looking a little too "back heavy". I think Cross's signing may have some of our "run on players" of 2006 looking at how much game time they will get in 2007, and looking for releases

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    If 2006 has shown us anything, it is that injuries do happen and S14 teams perform on their depth.
    If no injuries then Mitch will have the rare luxury of being able to rotate some of his players, especially considering that there is likely to be a directive to rest some of our stars in line for World Cup selection from the ARU.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Hydrangea
    Yo innFORCERr:dont be so pedantic with Shasta,but i did notice a Tah connection there somewhere.
    Now where is Happy!
    Go get a big black dog up ya Mowerman, Exile is big enough to look after himself.

Happy and Harry are on a flight to Melbourne for this weekends Wallabies match.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matty n
    yeh this is good news but where we he fit into out starting team with #10-mackay or hilgendorf, #11- Ioane, #12 giteau, #13 staniforth, #14 mitchell, #15 shepherd
    i would personally rather see giteau in #10 than 12. i dont dislike mackay, but i think that giteau is probably better suited to 10 than 12 at super level. wallabies are a different story. he would have more impact as a flyhalf at super rugby in my opinion. if they decide to throw cross in the starting lineup straight away (something which the tahs are good at with their mungos) we may see our player of the tournament in 14, 11 or even on the bench. maybe we should be focusing a bit more on improving our forwards rather than strengthening the reserves for our backs. can't really blame graham for leaving. disappointing though.