Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kings Defeat Force in Super Rugby Debut

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    You're gonna hate the new law this year about rucks where the ball is available at the back
    you mean law 16.7(C)?....no problem,the ref gives a 5 second warning---the maul law does not allow this,just stipulate that it ends after 5 seconds of not moving

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    For those with greater squad knowledge than myself - What are our options at Fullback? Tupou has to go, his decision making is terrible, and we need a kicker. I would also drop Stanley. So how do we shuffle the deck chairs to get a workable unit?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Rick.
    Where have you been.
    Great to see you back with your incisive, cutting and forthright views.
    Hear there's a quality bunch of players been attracted to P-B since the arrival of the new coach.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    For those with greater squad knowledge than myself - What are our options at Fullback? Tupou has to go, his decision making is terrible, and we need a kicker. I would also drop Stanley. So how do we shuffle the deck chairs to get a workable unit?
    At full back we have don’t really have a anyone who is an out and out fullback.

Mafi was the fix last year but it seems they want him on the wing.

Tupou and Stubbs have been training there but I don’t see them as a long term fix.

Dellit can play fullback much like Mafi but is out for the next few weeks.

We then have SNK (when he gets here) and Godwin who can also play at the back. But other than that the cupboard is bare.

There are Rumours that Like Morahan is looking for a new home next year and that the Force and Rebels are in the running which we really need to be true.

We could look to something like this

9 Alby
    10 Sias (for his kicking)
    11 Cummins
    12 Godwin
    13 Should be CTM or Hayward aswell as Tupou
    14 Junior/Stubbs
    15 Mafi

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    I thought Mafi had played there before but wasn't sure of the outcome and I didn't want to shift Godwin as he is going OK at 12 (goal kicking is a different matter). As for Sias at 10, this would require a fundamental shift in game plan to a territory based playing style (ie plugging the corners - I'm guessing that Cristie is preferred as the better running fly half). Unfortunately our lineout is not up to it as you need to be able to pich a couple of throws to make it work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    I thought Mafi had played there before but wasn't sure of the outcome and I didn't want to shift Godwin as he is going OK at 12 (goal kicking is a different matter). As for Sias at 10, this would require a fundamental shift in game plan to a territory based playing style (ie plugging the corners - I'm guessing that Cristie is preferred as the better running fly half). Unfortunately our lineout is not up to it as you need to be able to pich a couple of throws to make it work.
    But it shouldnt.

Sias’s natural game is to run the ball. Remember he was the Cheetahs 10 and they are all about running rugby. When Goosen came along Sias was pushed aside and since then his confidence has been down. Foley spoke when he first signed about how it his confidence had been dented as a result of this and how they needed to rebuild it. Putting him on the bench again and then dropping him completely would have done wonders.

Sias is a very good Ten who can run the ball as well as anyone but if he needs to he can kick for territory. I say give him ago. It can’t get any worse at least we may slot a few goals.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    But it shouldnt.

Sias’s natural game is to run the ball. Remember he was the Cheetahs 10 and they are all about running rugby. When Goosen came along Sias was pushed aside and since then his confidence has been down. Foley spoke when he first signed about how it his confidence had been dented as a result of this and how they needed to rebuild it. Putting him on the bench again and then dropping him completely would have done wonders.

Sias is a very good Ten who can run the ball as well as anyone but if he needs to he can kick for territory. I say give him ago. It can’t get any worse at least we may slot a few goals.
    I agree, It's time to see whether Sias has been rebuilt or destroyed by the dropping. There's no point in labouring it after Saturday. Give him a crack, it can't be a whole lot worse than it was and it may turn out a whole lot better.

At the very least, we need the goal kicking sorted out before SNK arrives, simply because we need to know whether SNK is an automatic selection at fullback and kicking for post.

Kyle is done no favours at all by remaining the first choice kicker, let him develop his game at 12 (with an option of playing 10) and give Sias a shot at the main gig.

Christie to the bench as an insurance policy, if it all goes to shit with Sias at 10, swap him and Kyle first, then, if it isn't any better drop one of them and slot Christie into 10.

C'mon the

vCash
    My recall of his time at the Cheetahs was that he couldn't get the backline running properly leading to his replacement. When Goosen was injurred he wasn't immediately returned to the 10 jersey either. I'm not saying that he can't run the ball, just that it isn't his natural game. It wouldn't bother me if we reverted to a more territory based game plan, as it would allow the backs to choose when to attack and otherwise pin the opposition in their territory.

In any event, Sias has to be on the field as he is the only reliable goal kicker we have.

Champion
    vCash
    Surely this kicking problem that the Force have was identified much earlier than Saturday and why was it not adressed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Surely this kicking problem that the Force have was identified much earlier than Saturday and why was it not adressed
    the official line was that Godwin was kicking at 80% during the preseason so he got the gig.

you know who else is also a handy kick at goal...CTM

vCash
    I think the team selections are proof of their desire to play a running game. Sias hasn't ever really had a look in at 10 and that tells me that Foley and Meehan have said that kicking is a secondary concern to making the backline play the rugby they want.

I'm actually all for that, it shows some stones and the courage to implement their convictions. That's fine, but it didn't work this week, and I would suggest they're a long way from it working (unless the Kings are a champion team in their first year)

The sky may not be falling, but the membership aren't going to stand around and watch limp performances like that for very long. Foley needs to address the problem quickly and make sure those who can be chastised for Saturday are left on the bench appropriately.

That is exactly the approach he took with Sias and it was appropriate, if we're picking on form, several members of Saturday's team need to ride the pine for their performance (given a 44 man squad, I would bench the whole team just to drive the point home......turn up, or look for another job!)

Based upon what I got up at 1AM for the Bulls match is a complete write off anyway, Foley needs to act decisively!

C'mon the

vCash
    Godwin's kicking game at the Junior World Cup last year was the same: he has a huge left-to-right hook. Everyone knows about it. Why it hasn't been addressed satisfactorily is the issue.

Kicking 80% in training is, imho, not good enough for the first choice kicker. Very close to 100% would be the benchmark. Maybe allow 95%, with the 5% that missed only missing by a small distance.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm not going to even bother going to carbon for the bulls game. Will read result here sunday morning
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    you should watch it,it's probably our once chance of a win this season...the bulls will be laughing so much before kick off they will forget how to play the game!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    you should watch it,it's probably our once chance of a win this season...the bulls will be laughing so much before kick off they will forget how to play the game!
    Gotta leave myself fresh for UFC on Fuel TV next Sunday.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast