Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ARU backs the Force

vCash

ARU backs the Force

New Australian Rugby Union boss Bill Pulver has allayed fears that the future of the Western Force is under threat after under- performing since formation.

Pulver also said the re-establishment of a senior academy in Perth and a third-tier competition sitting between club and Super Rugby was at the top of his agenda.

"No chance in the world that there will not be a Western Force," he said.

"We are 150 per cent committed to the franchises that we have. The future development of rugby, unquestionably in my mind, will involve the Perth team.

"The five franchises are non- negotiable. I don't think I can make that any clearer. It is crystal clear in my mind there will always be five franchises.

"I'm hoping it's going to be a great year for the Force. There is a buzz about the team.

"It is always interesting the way great teams are formed. Team is a really important word.

"It's not a bunch of superstars and there are so many examples of how, with the right coach and the right team, you can do incredible things."

Pulver was in Perth for the first time since assuming the chief executive role earlier this month.

He said the decision by his predecessor John O'Neill to scrap individual Super club academies for centralised groups in Sydney and Brisbane was the hottest issue he had dealt with during a visit to the five franchises.

"I've had enormous feedback on it. I can tell you quite confidently that the academy issue and third-tier competition will be right at the top of my list to discuss with the (ARU) board on Monday," he said.

"Last year we had five franchises in Australia that finished sixth, seventh, 11th, 12th and 14th, and frankly that's not good enough.

"I want Super teams to be phenomenally successful enterprises. New Zealand and South Africa have third-tier competitions that develop players and have them battle ready to play Super Rugby.

"I believe that is a missing link in our pathway. To jump from club rugby to Super 15 is a bridge too far.

"Even in Sydney and Brisbane the difference from club rugby to Super rugby is a massive contrast."

Pulver believed the third-tier competition could be "owned" and played out between Super franchise A sides.

"One of the main things I'm concerned about is helping our Super franchises be more competitive, but you need a financial model that facilitates that third tier with the least pain," he said.

"One of the realities in Australian rugby is that we are not flush with funds. I want to make an affordable and constructive step into a third-tier competition."

Pulver said the Force facilities were the best of all Australia's franchises. "The RugbyWA facility is mind-blowing. This is the best rugby facility I've seen in the country," he said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...cks-the-force/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tdevil View Post
    "We are 150 per cent committed to the franchises that we have.
    Woohoo! 2 and a half new franchises!

vCash
    He's talking the talk at least... There is still a lot of the old guard there in the corridors though
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jono; 14-02-13 at 10:27.

vCash
    I feel confident that RugbyWA's new CEO will make him walk the walk as well as talk the talk!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Probably the most positive things said about the Force from the ARU HQ since they awarded us the franchise over Melbourne

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Good on ya Pulver!

Obviously trying to put off any would be collar bombers from the West!

Nice to hear someone with a bit of clout talking us up for once!

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    He seems to favour the same 3rd tier model as some of us have talked about. Second XV or A Team based. At least to begin with. Seems a no brainer to me. As many have said, it's almost impossible to 'manufacture' our own NPC/Currie Cup. They have developed over a century built on strong tradional support structures. One of the failings of the ARC was the cobbling together of teams in Sydney and Brisbane. Traditional Rugby supporters did not relate to them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    It's funny how the phrase "giving 110%" has become bastardised over the years. My boss has gone from saying we need to give 110% to 120% and he has now rounded it up to a whopping 200%!

vCash
    "I'm hoping it's going to be a great year for the Force. There is a buzz about the team.
    "It is always interesting the way great teams are formed. Team is a really important word."It's not a bunch of superstars and there are so many examples of how, with the right coach and the right team, you can do incredible things."

We haven't got any stars but the makings of a good team.. the rabble have the superstars but a crap team

vCash
    I hope he is good to his word. However, how many times have you heard that "Jack has the full backing of the management team" only to see him sacked next week.

Call me cynical.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    It's funny how the phrase "giving 110%" has become bastardised over the years. My boss has gone from saying we need to give 110% to 120% and he has now rounded it up to a whopping 200%!
    100% is the maximum

vCash
    Pulver said the Force facilities were the best of all Australia's franchises. "The RugbyWA facility is mind-blowing. This is the best rugby facility I've seen in the country," he said.
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...cks-the-force/
    This says a lot to me, and is a good carrot to interest, retain and develop players.

Call me biased, but we have the best fans, best training facilities, best coaching team... if our players can put it together on the paddock we could be unstoppable.

vCash
    110% incl GST

Son of Gupta. Best Odds. Velly Good.
    Nominated by Mr Shasta as the "Peoples Bookie of the Year 2021"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post

Don't start me on this.... one of my pet annoyances is hearing coaches and players in all sports 'bumping their gums' with this and other stupid 'catch phrases'.... we could do a whole thread on it!

vCash
    what happened to one percenters

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast