Thread: Wykes ready to step up

Champion
    vCash

Wykes ready to step up

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...dy-to-step-up/

Nick Taylor, The West Australian

Western Force second-rower Sam Wykes has put the nightmare of an injury-riddled 2012 behind him and is ready to emerge from the shadow of former Force and Wallabies captain Nathan Sharpe.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Great story, I'd love to see Sammy start against the Rabble with MMM, save Toby on the bench.

That way, we'd have our most dynamic pair to start the game and bring Toby on to wreak havok amongst tired forwards (added to which Toby will be fit to tear arms of people if he doesn't see the pitch until halftime)

I'm really impressed with what I saw from MMM on Friday, he looked to be more than a hard man thug. He seemed to show quite a bit of class along with playing the enforcer role pretty well. If he can last the 80, he will be a suitable (not equal, but suitable) replacement for the great man!

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Gigs20 that is a big wrap mate Sharp was and is a legend of EWF and Australian rugby I would settle for MMM to be half as good as Sir Nathan even if he was half as good he would still be in the top 5 locks in the Super15

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    Gigs20 that is a big wrap mate Sharp was and is a legend of EWF and Australian rugby I would settle for MMM to be half as good as Sir Nathan even if he was half as good he would still be in the top 5 locks in the Super15
    I DID say suitable, but not equal.

He would need to be AMAZING to equal Sharpie in one season, However he does have an agility that Nathan didn't have, Sharpie was Amazing, Inspirational and Effective, but most of the time Sharpie's value was reliability. Give him the ball and you know you'll be entering the ruck five metres over the Ad line with their biggest three forwards battered by him and lying around. He didn't offload hat much, he didn't bother looking for gaps, created then by knocking lesser humans on their ass, never died with the ball, but usually took it to ground and recycled.

I don't see anywhere near that reliability in MMM =, but I do see a different edge which could make him a suitable element and ensure that we're not left with a gaping hole.

Seemed OK at catching lineout ball as well.

C'mon the

vCash
    If Wykes stays fit, I foresee a HUGE season for him.
    Spot for him against the Lions up for grabs !!!

vCash
    Quite liked Battye's play in the 1st match Friday. Didn't see him in the 2nd, but I think he played most of the 1st match and could have been knackered.

With Wykes fit (and callign line-outs), MMM, Lynn and Battye, there's good competition, pushing each other to improve.