Thread: Travel schedule gives Force an edge

Senior Player
    vCash

Travel schedule gives Force an edge

The Western Force know more than most about the monster that is international sports travel.

They expect to encounter a unique set of issues as they fly almost 70,000km during the 2013 Super Rugby season.

The Force have tried a variety of tactics in past seasons, but this year have adopted a new regime.

Head of athletic performance David Joyce, who has worked with the British and Chinese Olympic teams and in international rugby and soccer, has designed the program. The main difference will be arriving in a host city earlier, allowing players' body clocks time to adjust.

"By and large the best night's sleep is the one before the match, so getting in early makes so much difference," Joyce said.

They will also take extra staff on tours.

"We are not just going to be maintaining fitness we are going to be building health and strength. We don't want decay to have set in by the end of a tour, we want players to stay fit," Joyce said.

The biggest innovation will be the tour to South Africa. After their season opener in Melbourne against the Rebels, the Force will take the quick hop to Sydney the next day for the 12,000km flight to Port Elizabeth and the historic match against the Southern Kings with an overnight stop in Johannesburg.

"It will give us the chance to set up a mini-camp. There is no point in having dead time," Joyce said.

The Force games in New Zealand have thrown up their own logistical nightmare. The April 19 game against the Hurricanes in Wellington is followed by two games in Australia - against the Brumbies in Canberra and the Queensland Reds at nib Stadium - before they head back to NZ for the Chiefs in Pokekohe, 50km south of Auckland.

·The Force have reached 10,000 members with Ryan Tedge, 8, picking up the ticket. His sister Charlotte, 6, was the 10,001st member as part of the family package with parents Christian and Candice.

·The Force will play pre-season trials against the Brumbies in Darwin on February 1 and a Tongan Select XV on February 8 at the Meadow Springs Sports Facility in Mandurah.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Interesting. Let's hope it makes our away record even better :-)

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Being an "expert" on travel for rugby games - I prefer to get to the destination the day before the game to get a skinful and not necessarily a good nights sleep

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    That's Law 1.1 a) of The InnFORCEers Law Book

Because we don't follow rules

Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    Being an "expert" on travel for rugby games - I prefer to get to the destination the day before the game to get a skinful and not necessarily a good nights sleep

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    By the way, the Round 13 Chiefs v game is now confirmed at:

"Chiefs v Western Force– ECOLight Stadium Pukekohe: Saturday 10 May 2013 7.35pm"

http://www.chiefs.co.nz/news/chiefs-...s-in-2013.html

so you can change the TBC in the fixtures to Pukekohe. Wonder if the v8s are on around that time...

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    It is a tried and tested methodology.. why the InnFORCEer tours have worked so well in the past. Though game day in Adelaide last year was a bit bigger than normal

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Dammit - my friends just sold their house in Pukekohe - otherwise might have been a possible tour!

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I've been working on revising my "tour" schedule for it. Might save me about 3 hours bus travel, so not too bad.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eleypinkbit View Post
    Dammit - my friends just sold their house in Pukekohe - otherwise might have been a possible tour!
    Hey just rock up at the address and say you had shares in the house and they sold without you consent LOL