Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: So, the 2013 season is around the corner - what are everybody's thoughts?

Senior Player
    vCash

So, the 2013 season is around the corner - what are everybody's thoughts?

With the season opener just over a month away, what are people's thoughts on how we are looking?

For me this represents yet another year, eighth in a row, where my aspirations and hopes for the side are high, hoping we can over-perform and perhaps make the semis.

The off-season recruitment has been good, but better for the forwards than the backs IMHO. I think our pack was already strong, though the loss of Sharpie is huge. McMeniman is a great acquisition, and we have virtually 2 and 1/2 back rows we could field.

Mathewson is a solid acquisition, and while the others seem to be either sound players, or young players with potential, there are no real new superstars in the backline. Just looking at the Tahd's and Reds' backline I am a little envious. We have 4 possible flyhalves, but no real standout in that position. I think Mathewson is an attacking halfback, and would need a good understanding with a similarly minded flyhalf.

Cullet is growing with every game, but I really felt we needed another outside back of repute, and a centre pairing with attacking and defensive capabilities.

The vibe in the squad sounds good. Sounds like Foley has been focussing on team building and trust. What Brownie said about the state of readiness of the team in terms of fitness and a gameplan is promising.

But what will the backline look like?

Norton Knight at fullback?

Mafi and Cummins on the wings?

Tupou and Stanley as the centre pairing?

Ebersohn at flyhalf with Godwin on the bench?

Let's get this thread going.

Can't wait for the season to start.

Go Force!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'm really hoping and expecting that we will have a lot more try scoring potential from the backs both from a better personnel and coaching direction. If we can get 2 victories before the first game at nib we will be reasonably set up if we can string a few home wins. I think our backs are a bit of an unknown, there's lots of players there that most of us haven't seen play. Back play surely cannot be worse than last year?? I'm liking the forwards, hodgo as skipper, alby Sias as halves, nick c at centre or wing, Mafi at fb, the rest I can't comment although will tupou was good last year .

I am excited , at this stage of the year we are looking good as always. I still have faith. Go the Force!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Realistically, I think bottom 4 again. Even if we had zero injuries I think we would still struggle to break into the top 10. But injuries will occur and there is very little depth. A couple of injuries to key players and we will be dragging up players who are only of club rugby standard. That said rugby is a funny old game and if we can sneak a couple of wins in a row and get our confidence up then who knows. I'd be happy if we finished 8th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    Realistically, I think bottom 4 again. Even if we had zero injuries I think we would still struggle to break into the top 10. But injuries will occur and there is very little depth. A couple of injuries to key players and we will be dragging up players who are only of club rugby standard. That said rugby is a funny old game and if we can sneak a couple of wins in a row and get our confidence up then who knows. I'd be happy if we finished 8th.
    I think Zed is probably nearer the Mark. If we can win 8 from 16, that'll be a result.

I was a member at Cardiff Blues a few seasons ago where Sam NK had the nickname Norton Knightmare. This combined with Nic Cs poor tackling technique might see our back 3 being targeted all year.

vCash
    Ebersohn is a proven performer, as are Cummins and Mafi i think with the journeymen combined with those three, we should be far more competitive than we were last year. Ill be watching the young guns with interest as there are a couple that with a little game time under their belts, could turn a lot of heads

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr C View Post
    I think Zed is probably nearer the Mark. If we can win 8 from 16, that'll be a result.

I was a member at Cardiff Blues a few seasons ago where Sam NK had the nickname Norton Knightmare. This combined with Nic Cs poor tackling technique might see our back 3 being targeted all year.
    Umm I don't think I agree with the nic c being a poor tackler, he nails people hard and gets them on the ground, maybe defensive positioning can be better.

Or are you having a lend and that went completely over my head.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    potentially their worst year ever, two best players, Sharpe & Pocock, gone. no superstars in the side. bottom 2 I'd say

GRAB YOUR MATE!

vCash
    Are some of you sure you're not tahs supporters?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KalaFan View Post
    potentially their worst year ever, two best players, Sharpe & Pocock, gone. no superstars in the side. bottom 2 I'd say

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Well I do admit in the past to having been a bit of a Doom and Gloom merchant but this year I'm in a far more positive frame of mind.
    I say we will finish 7th and be pushing for a finals spot with a couple of games to go.
    Think Positive!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I like the fact we have no stars in the squad. Lots of young players looking to make their mark on the game. Ever the optimist I would like to think finals, but reality is a bitch and if we can at least win 6-8 games for the year that would be a good start. More importantly if we can play a more attacking style of game with a lot less kicking I will also be a happy camper.

vCash
    Look at the reds a couple of years ago, when barnes jumped ship. Or the ponies last year.
    It can be done.

As long as we beat the kings and the rabble!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Player
    vCash
    I think the strongest team will be:

Longbottom
    Charles
    Ma'afu
    Lynn
    MMM
    Brown
    Hodgson
    McCalman
    Matheson
    Ebersohn
    Cummins
    Haywood
    Tupou
    Mafi
    SKN

Whittaker
    Manu / Cowen
    Wykes / Battye
    Cottrell / McCafferty
    Sheehan
    Godwin
    Dellit

But given our history of injury, I cant see that ever actually starting.

vCash
    I don't think we will make the finals this year but I think we may surprise a few sides

I don't tink we'll finish bottom 2 either

F**k the Victards

Senior Player
    vCash
    I think if you break it down by position we have improved in almost every area so we should hope to see a rise of 1 or 2 places up the ladder. Then you add the improvement to the coaching staff and that will hopefully add another rise of 1 or 2 spots.

Props - not much change, although Manu and Faulkner will continue to improve
    Hooker - no difference, although Charles to improve again. Tessman to bench whilst Whits injured
    SR - weaker with Sharpe gone but debateable with MMM in and Wykes back
    Backrow - weaker with Pocock gone but Alcock is very good (can't believe he is not in people's 22) and alcock and mccaffrey still improving. Massive depth. Brown, McCalman need to step up

Halfback - stronger with Matthewson in for Stannard and snowden in for Turner who never played
    Flyhalf - stronger with Ebersohm replacing Harvey/Seymour/Stannard and Godwin improving
    Centres - unproven but must be stronger with Rasolea, CTM and Hayward replacing Rapana, Fairbanks, Sidey. Tupou and Cummins on the way up also.
    Wings/FB - On paper probably weaker eg SNK and Stubbs vs Shepherd, Nalaga and Wara but Shepherd and Nalaga were dissapointing last year. Mafi on the way up. Cummins will probably have to stay on the wing due to lack of outside backs and depth of inside backs.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast