Thread: Western Force adds flyhalf Sam Christie to extended playing squad

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash

Western Force adds flyhalf Sam Christie to extended playing squad

CHRISTIE COMPLETES NEW-LOOK FORCE BACKLINE

The overhaul of the Emirates Western Force backline is complete with Waikato flyhalf Sam Christie claiming the final Extended Playing Squad contract for 2013.

Christie, who is Australian-eligible through his Adelaide-born father, is the ninth new member to the Emirates Western Force’s back division for the upcoming Super Rugby season.

The former New Zealand Schools representative is one of four strong flyhalf options for the Emirates Western Force in 2013 along with former Cheetahs playmaker and Baby Bok Sias Ebersohn, returning Wallaby Sam Norton-Knight and outstanding rising star and Australian Under 20 representative, Kyle Godwin.

Christie made his ITM Cup debut with Waikato in 2006 and has seven seasons of provincial experience for the Mooloos under his belt.

The 26-year-old began training with the Emirates Western Force a month prior to the Christmas break before being offered the EPS contract.

Head Coach Michael Foley says Christie’s signing adds another quality and experienced choice at flyhalf for the Emirates Western Force.

“Being such a pivotal position, we wanted to ensure we had depth at flyhalf this season,” he said. “We’ve now got four quality options at ‘10’ – as well as the ability to cover a number of other positions – through the retention of Kyle Godwin and the recruitment of Sias Ebersohn, Sam Norton-Knight and now Sam Christie.

“Sam’s form with Waikato was impressive during the ITM Cup, including a strong showing in their Ranfurly Shield win over Taranaki. We invited him to train with us in the lead-in to Christmas and he demonstrated that he’s not only ready to take the next step to Super Rugby when called upon to do so, but is hungry and eager for that opportunity.

“Sam’s a confident, attacking player. He’s strong under pressure, he’s got an accurate passing game and he’ll be pushing hard for game time this season.”

Christie signs on with the Force having previously represented New Zealand Schools (2004), Bay of Plenty Under 23 (2005) and Waikato Under 20 (2006) prior to making his provincial debut for the North Island province in 2006.

Christie says he’s keen to continue his rugby development in the Emirates Western Force program.

“I’m really excited [about this opportunity],” he said. “I’ve been working hard for a number of years to make it into Super Rugby and to have this opportunity is a really exciting step.

“I like the running style of rugby and the Force is going to bring a great style of rugby this year. We’ve got some very sharp backs and a versatile forward pack and we’ve got a chance to play some good attacking rugby which I’m really excited about.

“I’m really happy this opportunity has come for me at the Force. The training and medical staff here are of high quality and they give you plenty of feedback on what you’re doing. It was a big learning curve for me when I was here for four weeks [before Christmas]; it was a great experience and I was keen to come back.

“It’s a great environment, the guys are really committed and down-to-earth and this is great for me and for my rugby.”

Christie joins James Hilterbrand (hooker), Salesi Manu (prop), Mick Snowden (scrumhalf) and Rory Walton (lock) as the Emirates Western Force’s five EPS-contracted players for 2013.

2013 Emirates Western Force squad:
    Forwards: Chris Alcock*, Phoenix Battye, Richard Brown, Nathan Charles, Angus Cottrell, Pek Cowan, Tetera Faulkner, James Hilterbrand (EPS)*, Matt Hodgson, Kieran Longbottom, Toby Lynn, Salesi Ma'afu, Salesi Manu (EPS), Lachlan McCaffrey, Ben McCalman, Hugh McMeniman*, Rory Walton (EPS)*, Ben Whittaker, Sam Wykes.

Backs: Sam Christie (EPS)*, Nick Cummins, Pat Dellit, Sias Ebersohn*, Kyle Godwin, Jayden Hayward*, Alfie Mafi, Alby Mathewson*, Sam Norton-Knight*, Ed Stubbs*, Solomoni Rasolea*, Brett Sheehan, Michael Snowden (EPS)*, Winston Stanley, Chris Tuatara-Morrison*, Will Tupou
    *new signing for 2013

Name: Sam Christie
    Born: 26/09/1986
    Position: Flyhalf/Inside Centre
    Height: 181cm
    Weight: 90kg
    Representative Rugby: 2006-2012 Waikato (ITM Cup), 2006 Waikato Under 20, 2005 Bay of Plenty Under 23, 2004 New Zealand Schools

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Sounds okay and good on him for relocating all this way for a crack at S15.

However he's only played 33 NPC games in 6 seasons for the Mooloos, and by the sounds of things, most at 2nd 5.

Is he injury proan? or just another fringe NZ provincial player who's given up on his ABs dream and played the Aust. card at age 26?

Welcome SC - I hope you grabb the bull by its horns and at age 26 the balls in your corner....best of luck, I wish you all the success.

I suspect he'll cleanup in the our Perth comp........I wonder if he's aligned with Palmyra - Western NZs fringe NPC team?

SC Questions & Answers from off the WRU webpage.........

Age-group teams/other representative teams:

New Zealand Schools

Bay of Plenty U23

Waikato U20

Waikato Development

Most memorable game:

Starting at second five in the 2011 ITM Cup final against Canterbury.

Most memorable Waikato moment:

My first try for Waikato – versus Manawatu in 2009.

My pre-game ritual includes:

Just chilling out and a feed of mashed potatoes.

My favourite player of all time is (and why):

Vern Kamo because he walks the walk.

My interests outside of rugby:

League, cricket, chess.

When I am not playing rugby I am:

Watching TV, and builder’s labourer.

Why did you become a rugby player:

Because my brothers played.

Other interesting facts:

My dad is an Australian and I have had over 90 stitches.

“In 1823, William Webb Ellis first picked up the ball in his arms and ran with it. And for the next 156 years forwards have been trying to work out why.” - Sir Tasker Watkins (1979)

Senior Player
    vCash
    Sounds on the face of it a good pick up a young player with something to prove and hungry to be successful factor in the depth him coming here adds to our fly half stocks sounds like a good deal done by the force

Senior Player
    vCash
    I am not convined on this one. I wouldn't classify him a young player as he is 26 compared to Sias who is 23 and Godwin who is 20. If we was any good a kiwi super rugby team should have at least given him a crack by now. I suppose he gives us depth around the 12 position though which we are lacking a bit so happy to be proven wrong.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I have had over 90 stitches.
    Over 90 stitches playing at flyhalf...Technique issue, or did he convert from the back row?

Hope they weren't all on the knees.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    I am not convined on this one. I wouldn't classify him a young player as he is 26 compared to Sias who is 23 and Godwin who is 20. If we was any good a kiwi super rugby team should have at least given him a crack by now. I suppose he gives us depth around the 12 position though which we are lacking a bit so happy to be proven wrong.
    He's EPS and sitting behind three fly halves in the main squad, we'd have to be cursed for him to see game time.

If a 26 year old is willing to take a contract away from home, with those odds of seeing the field, you'd have to think he's either looking for a contract at any cost, or confident he can convert to a full contract quickly.

Sitting the fence till I get more indications.

C'mon the