Thread: Young prop shoulders weight of expectation for Force

Champion
    vCash

Young prop shoulders weight of expectation for Force

There's another plug for the petition too. Let's Keep it going
    -------
    Nick Taylor, The West Australian

Western Force prop Salesi Manu is just a young pup when it comes to the front row, the toughest of positions.

He goes head first into the dark area where tonnes of pressure is exerted as players battle to dominate their opposition, lock up the scrum and become an immovable object.

It is not a place for the faint-hearted but last year, at just 21, Manu stood up to some of the best in the business with the toughest of initiations to Super Rugby.

Force teammate and Wallabies prop Salesi Ma'afu broke an arm and Manu found himself facing Wallaby Ben Alexander, veteran All Black Tony Woodcock and fellow New Zealand international Ben Franks in his first three games.

Now in his second year of Super Rugby, the imposing but unassuming 120kg front-rower, who has no trouble bench pressing 190kg, has an enormous future ahead of him.

"I've a long way to go still. I'm still a little baby, still a little pup," he said.

"Just to have a couple of games (in 2012) was going to make my year but now I'm trying to push for a starting spot and at the same time better myself.

"I've got two Wallaby props (Ma'afu and Pek Cowan), Kieran Longbottom and Tetera Faulkner ahead of me. It's a good thing that we have a lot of depth. That means pushing myself but learning at the same time.

"Coming into my second year, I've already learned a lot."

Western Force front-rower Salesi Manu is working hard for a starting position in the team for next season. Picture: Ben Crabtree/WA News

Meanwhile, the Australian Rugby Union has backed the campaign to have the new nib Stadium grandstand named after retired Force and Wallaby legend Nathan Sharpe.

ARU acting chief executive Matt Carroll said Sharpe had been an inspiration to the Australian team in a stellar career.

"Australian rugby welcomes fans' show of support to have a grandstand named after Nathan Sharpe, one of Australia's greatest players," he said.

"I know Western Force fans are very proud of Nathan Sharpe so it would be fitting."

The campaign was launched by the Force fan club, The Whole Force.
    Its website petition has already topped 1000 signatures.
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ion-for-force/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Great article on the young man, with the additional bench prop this season, it will be good to see him have a few runs, looked the goods last year.

Well done to Coach and all those involved great wrap from ARU, and the Whole Force making into main stream print media in a AFL state, congrats to all involved keep up the fantatstic work.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Senior Player
    vCash
    Very good article and great to see rugby getting more press in the west australian
    I am very much looking forward to getting down to the NIB and seeing the EWF live for the first time
    Also plaudits to the person/people responsible for getting the petition mentioned in the paper if they don't name a stand after Nathan Sharpe... well I don't want to think about it

vCash
    It looks like SANZAR are not going with the extra prop on an 8 man bench.

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Seriously love the way this guy goes about his work. He is an essential signing for 2014 in our main squad.

Not that I wish any bad luck on anyone else but I hope to see him take the field this year again and add to the impressive debut from last season.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He is already a superior player to Ma'afu.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Did I mention he plays for Palmyra?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Did I mention he plays for Palmyra?
    How much does he cost?

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It's funny- I was a bit disappointed when PAE signed with the Rebels but I think Manu was a far better pick up. Manu's ball running was sensational in his few games last season. If he can develop his scrumming to match that he could come into Wallabies contention before the next World Cup.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    He is already a superior player to Ma'afu.
    Not a difficult KPI to attain

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Manu ready for the challenge

By RugbyWA Media

Salesi Manu

Salesi Manu is touted as one of Australian rugby’s up-and-coming front rowers.

After eight powerful performances in his debut Super Rugby season in 2012, Manu’s development continued throughout the off-season as he headed across the Tasman to join North Harbour in their recent ITM Cup campaign.

While ‘Harbour’ missed out on finals rugby, the 22-year-old established himself as a key member of the side’s starting front row, regularly opposing Super Rugby and Test regulars.

While the experience robbed him of a regular off-season, Manu said competing against some of New Zealand’s best scrummagers will hold in him good stead for challenging a place in the Emirates Western Force front row.

“It was difficult in that I didn’t get as much time with my family and friends in the off-season but I gained a lot for my rugby development,” he said. “The way they play rugby and how they live and breathe rugby; it was great to surround myself with that kind of atmosphere and I took a lot out of it.

“It was very physical; playing three games a week does take a toll on your body but then again it helps you to know what your body is capable of if you look after yourself.

“I learnt a lot about myself as well, not only about the game.”

Manu, can play on either side of the scrum, said the consistently high level of rugby in the ITM Cup was a great litmus test for where he stands as a player and was grateful to have a taste of rugby in a country where it’s treated like a religion more than a sport.

“It is an extremely tough level of rugby over there so to get some additional game time at the professional level has been really beneficial for me,” he said.

“Rugby is hugely popular in New Zealand and they have some incredible talent and you can see why they develop so many great rugby players over there.

“It’s great to be back in training with all the boys though and I’m looking forward to a good season ahead for the team.”

Forwards coach Nick Stiles said Manu was an excellent student after joining his first professional program at the Emirates Western Force in 2012 and his growth has continued following his time in the ITM Cup.

“You look at Salesi’s last 12 months,” Stiles said. “He came in without having been in a programme, he learnt quickly on the job and played the second half of the Super Rugby season and then to get the opportunity to play in the ITM Cup was just fantastic for him.”

“It accentuated his learning and he’s come back much better for it.

Manu re-joined his teammates from the beginning of pre-season and has shown that he has a lot more talent to bring to the table in 2013 and will be vying for a spot in the Emirates Western Force front-row.

“He’s grown as a player and we’re very fortunate that we’ve got a very competitive group of front rowers and I think the skills that he’s developed over the last 12 months means he can compete better with the group of players that we’ve got,” said Stiles.

“The players we’ll pick for the first game will be the best players who have been playing the best football.

“We’ve got a lot of flexibility, one of the good things for Salesi going over there was he played loosehead whereas he played mainly tighthead for us through Super Rugby so now he’s got that versatility of playing both sides which enhances your chance of selection.

Off the field, Manu has also been busy have recently started a Certificate III Fitness Traineeship at Central TAFE.

The 22-year-old is one of the ‘heavy lifters’ in the Emirates Western Force gym, and is keen to pursue his interest in strength and conditioning.

“It can sometimes be tough to fit the study around training but at the same time it’s really good to get away from rugby focus on other things,” Manu said.

“It’s not always about rugby and sometimes when you’re constantly thinking about the game it can take its toll and you just need a little break.

“I’m very passionate about sport and doing this Certificate III will help me a lot and help me with my training.”