Thread: Brian Smith joins the Brumbies

vCash

Brian Smith joins the Brumbies

After a wide-ranging and at times messy search, Jake White's determination to introduce a rugby league flavour to his team's defensive structure has seen former Sydney Roosters coach Brian Smith added to the Brumbies' coaching staff for the 2013 Super Rugby season.

The debacle surrounding Newcastle Knights skipper Danny Buderus's appointment and subsequent backflip left a bitter taste in the mouths of many at the Brumbies. Privately, however, they believe the entire affair - which saw the NRL stop Buderus from coaching a rugby union team while still playing rugby league a day after he announced his role in Canberra - may turn out to be a blessing in disguise after securing Smith's services.

Smith failed to win a first grade premiership during a rugby league coaching career spanning more than two decades and including stints at Illawarra, St George, Newcastle, Parramatta and the Roosters. But Smith has a track record of working well with young players.

Given White will again lead one of the most inexperienced squads in Super Rugby next season, Smith's style would appear a perfect fit.

"I don't think I am too different from too many long-term coaches out there ... watching young players grow and learn the game at that level and being able to help guide them on that path, that is certainly one of the most rewarding parts of the job," Smith said.

"I can't say that was part of my consideration though. But clearly working and developing young players and bringing them through a system is something that is part of Jake's philosophy on coaching that we share.

"I am very much working in a support role, helping where I can within the structures Jake already has in place."

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/su...#ixzz2EhUOZrtU

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Jargs nice to see you continuing my work here... welcome Brian Smith contact coach... a small role but will bring something new.. Jake wouldn't have signed him if he didn't see real promise in Smiths skills... Smiths tend to do well in the ACT...

vCash
    At least the Brumbies will be relaxed.....