Thread: Highlanders - who's in and who's out

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Highlanders - who's in and who's out

By Steve Hepburn
    Wed, 31 Oct 2012
    Highlanders | Rugby

The 2013 Highlanders will boast 11 past or present All Blacks - although star loose-forward Adam Thomson is not among them.
    Highlanders coach Jamie Joseph has named a largely predictable side to compete in next year's Super 15.

All Blacks hooker Andrew Hore will be the captain.

Winger Declan O'Donnell has joined the side from the Chiefs, while Jake Paringatai comes back from Japan to join the team.

Southland No 8 Elliot Dixon is again included after an injury-plagued couple of years. Bay of Plenty midfielder Phil Burleigh, who had impressed with the side at the start of last season, has stayed with the side.

Star loose forward Adam Thomson is missing from the roster and is believed to have accepted a contract to play for a club side in Japan.

The side's first game is against the defending champions Chiefs at Forsyth Barr Stadium on February 22.

Highlanders 2013

Hookers: Andrew Hore, Liam Coltman, Brayden Mitchell

Props: Tony Woodcock, Jamie Mackintosh, Chris King, Ma'afu Fia

Locks: Brad Thorn, Jarrad Hoeata, Josh Bekhuis

Loose forwards: John Hardie, Tim Boys, Joe Wheeler, Nasi Manu, Jake Paringatai, Elliot Dixon

Halfbacks: Fumiaki Tanaka, Aaron Smith

First five-eights: Colin Slade, Lima Sopoaga, Hayden Parker

Midfield backs: Shaun Treeby, Ma'a Nonu, Jason Emery, Tamati Ellison, Phil Burleigh

Outside backs: Ben Smith, Hosea Gear, Kade Poki, Buxton Popoali'i, Declan O'Donnell

Gone from last year: Kurt Baker (not selected), Jimmy Cowan (England), Nick Crosswell (Chiefs), Doug Tietjens (not selected), Jame Haskell (England), Kendrick Lynn (not selected), Bronson Murray (not selected), Chris Noakes (Blues), Siale Piutau (Japan), Culum Retallick (Blues), Jason Rutledge (not selected), Adam Thomson (not available), Telusa Veainu (not selected)

http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/hig...s-and-whos-out

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Good on brad thorn!
    Old bugger just won't quit.
    2014 he'll probably be back at the broncos
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion
    vCash
    Rumours are that Adam Thompson is off to the Crusaders, after Richie McCaw has the year out of the game (as approved by NZRU and CCRFU)

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Rumours are that Adam Thompson is off to the Crusaders, after Richie McCaw has the year out of the game (as approved by NZRU and CCRFU)
    Way off the mark ,he's going to Japan, he's a shit player anyway

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    got a confirmation on that Westie or just another rumour ?

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash

C'mon the Taran

I don't think the Saders are looking at Thomson as they've been allowed to sign an xtra openside untill McCaw's return in June/July and I beleive it's a young lad from Tasman who's been invested in to fill that roll.

Highlanders are looking bloody good, but without Tommo there i'm not as confident.....still my fav Kiwi Team by a country mile tho, I love it when they give it to the big boy's of NZ & SA rugby.

My starting lineup.....

1. Mackintosh
    2. Hore
    3. Woodcock
    4. Thorn
    5. Bekhuis
    6. Hoeata
    7. Hardie
    8. Manu
    9. A Smith
    10. Slade
    11. Gear
    12. Nonu
    13. Ellison
    14. Poki
    15. B Smith

16. Mitchell/Coltman
    17. King/Fia
    18. Dixon/Wheeler
    19. Boys/Paringatia
    20. Tanaka
    21. Sopoanga/Burleigh
    22. Popoali’i/O’Donnell

vCash
    Fumiaki Tanaka is also set to become the first Japanese player to play Super Rugby.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post

any evidence of this?

the only other S15 team (excl the Highlanders) mentioned in relation to Thomson was the Blues. However when it came to naming teams the other day, his name was unavailable to be selected for any team - including the Highlanders.

The squads that have been named are now the players who take up the bulk of the player payments - the remaining players will be paid minimal wages as they are in effect extended training squad players. So if Thomson wants cash, he won't be sticking around in NZ.

Haskill was the last player signed for the Highlanders last season, and as a result was the lowest paid player - he wasn't in the initial named squad where the bulk of the $$ is available.

Interesting side note - the Blues had the option of picking a top-line flanker in their squad, but chose not to - Daniel Braid. No-one picked him up, so he'll be lost to NZ this year as well.

Champion
    vCash
    Pacman that young lad you refer to from Tasman who got a contract for saders name is Sam Christie absolute machine future all black in making