Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jayden Hayward

Player
    vCash

Jayden Hayward

Seems like we may have signed him as our 30th player?

Jayden Hayward's immediate rugby future lies across the ditch, with the Taranaki stalwart signing a two-year contract with the Force.

While Hayward would not discuss the subject yesterday, it is believed he sought a release from his New Zealand Rugby Union contract several weeks ago.

That was granted, despite the 25-year-old having another year to run on his contract with the Hurricanes. The decision means he will not return for Taranaki in the NPC.

It is believed Hayward, who has made 59 consecutive appearances for Taranaki, will take a pay cut just to play regular Super Rugby.

After two frustrating years at the Highlanders, Hayward was picked up by the Hurricanes as part of their wider training group in 2011 and ended up making 11 appearances.

However, he spent much of this year's Super Rugby season on the sidelines.

Faced with another bit-part role behind the likes of Tim Bateman, Alapati Leiua and captain Conrad Smith, Hayward decided to cross the ditch in search of more game time.

The Hurricanes have also signed Counties Manukau midfielder Rey Lee-Lo for 2013.

Hayward told his Taranaki team-mates of his decision after their heart-breaking NPC semifinal extra time loss to Canterbury on Saturday.

A Force spokesman would not confirm Hayward had signed with the struggling Australian franchise but said there was another place still open on the team's roster.

No-one from the Hurricanes would discuss the matter yesterday.

Hayward would not be the Force's marquee player for 2013, with that position filled by Blues halfback Alby Mathewson.

His defection will come as a hammer blow for Taranaki's coaching staff who have come to rely on him to fill the No 12 jersey, something he has done with distinction since he made his debut in 2008. No-one from Taranaki Rugby would discuss his departure yesterday.

Hayward follows homegrown prop Michael Bent out the door with Bent heading to Ireland tomorrow to take up a contract with Heineken Cup champions Leinster.

Meanwhile, exciting rookie halfback Jamison Gibson-Park is on the verge of signing a three-year deal with the Blues.

A Blues spokesman confirmed yesterday that they had agreed terms with the 20-year-old and were awaiting the result of a final medical test.

After a breakthrough year for Taranaki, Gibson-Park fielded interest from a number of New Zealand franchises.

It is believed he was offered a wider training group position with the Hurricanes, who have already contracted T J Perenara and Chris Smylie. It is not known if Hurricanes coach Mark Hammett has offered the remaining spot to Frae Wilson or Chris Eaton.

Logically, Gibson-Park took up the offer for a full contract with the Blues.

New Blues coach John Kirwan has already signed Piri Weepu and New Zealand under-20 halfback Bryn Hall for next season.

Another former Hurricanes rep, hooker Laurence Corlett, confirmed yesterday he was retiring after 64 appearances for Taranaki.

Corlett saved his best performance for last, making a real impact against Canterbury after replacing the fast-improving Timo Tutavaha.

"I don't know where it has been [his form] all season," he said.

"It had been a frustrating year, ending up in hospital and missing the pre-season as well.

"I might play club rugby, I don't know, but it's too hard with all my commitments to carry on the rep stuff."

The 33-year-old said he had his wife Paula to thank for the length of his time playing for Taranaki.

After initially only wanting to be in the province for three years, he has just finished his eighth season in amber-and-black.

"The last three years have just been amazing, from where we were to where we are now," he said. "We've been a really tight team as well."
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/p...-players-leave

Welcome aboard if true! Although I would have thought an outside back would be the way to go, not another centre.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Gee hope this is true, we really need a genuine 12, watched a few NPC games and liked what I saw.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Gee hope this is true, we really need a genuine 12, watched a few NPC games and liked what I saw.
    What type of center is he; smash & bash, ball-playing "2nd five", stepper....?

vCash
    just watched a couple of youttube clips he is a 2nd five type player. Can play 10 also.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    just watched a couple of youttube clips he is a 2nd five type player. Can play 10 also.
    Nice! While he doesn't sound like he's a world-beater, it's sounds like they will now have varied options at the centers - power, ball players, etc.

vCash
    From the Canes website

Taranaki second five-eighth or centre Jayden Hayward played his second Super Rugby season in 2012 after being first called into the Hurricanes team from the Wider Training Squad early in 2011. He was originally called up as a replacement for Ma’a Nonu who was serving a one-week suspension, but injuries elsewhere and compelling form made him a permanent squad member from that point on, and seven of his 11 appearances were in the starting XV.

Hayward brought previous Super Rugby experience to the team having previously represented the Highlanders in 2009 and 2010. In 2009 he earned his first Super Rugby start in the Highlanders’ memorable 6–0 victory over the Crusaders, and made a further three appearances off the bench. He returned to Dunedin the following year and earned another five caps.

Hayward rose to prominence in the 2008 provincial season, his debut championship year for Taranaki, scoring three tries in eight appearances. He made another 13 provincial appearances in 2009 and in 2010 played every game for the amber and blacks and scored five tries.

Playing his fourth consecutive ITM Cup season for Taranaki in 2011, Hayward broke a New Zealand first-class record – scoring a try in 10 consecutive matches. The run started against Hawke’s Bay in September 2010 and ended when he failed to score against Bay of Plenty in August 2011. Nevertheless, there was a bigger prize at season’s end; the Ranfurly Shield. Heading into the 2012 ITM Cup he had scored 18 tries in 46 games for the amber and blacks.

http://www.hurricanes.co.nz/team/players/jayden-hayward

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Good record in the old "Perth Spirit" jumper for the Naki

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I missed how it was possible he could play for us if he isn't a "marquee" signing and he isn't eligible for wallaby selection. Did the ARU do the Force a favor?

jeepers

dead set

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    I missed how it was possible he could play for us if he isn't a "marquee" signing and he isn't eligible for wallaby selection. Did the ARU do the Force a favor?

jeepers

dead set
    from what i can see he hasnt played for the all black or 7s rugby so he would be out last development player.

Champion
    vCash
    Rexy my understanding was that the Force had been given one extra spot. Marquee and 2 others..

geez let's hope Steve Hansen doesn't get upset. Hate to see the AB coach cry.

vCash
    forgive me for not bothering to let google be my friend and do my own research, but isn't the "development" player meant to be of a calibre that they can play for wallabies when they qualify? So Sias for instance played consistently for Cheetahs and was considered an international prospect until Goosen and Jantjes arrived on the scene. But I've never even heard of Jayden, and he has not held down a spot in S15.

Doesn't mean I think he's no good, he might be just what I've been rabbiting on about as a passing 12, merely a question about the nature of the "development" slot

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Rookie
    vCash
    I said it earlier in a post that the EWF will unearth some red hot talent in 2013 and 2014. With SM's tutelage and some rookie unknowns and now a serious 12 (JH) backline is looking a threat. Not only that, people like QC and Co should be worried with not only the future EWF talent but other 10's, 12's, 13's and 15's appearing at other Aussie franchises. Maybe we can offer a few redundancies to AAC, BB,etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    isn't the "development" player meant to be of a calibre that they can play for wallabies when they qualify?
    Not sure if "calibre" is a factor or just eligibility. If it is, who makes that call? Pretty subjective really. I'm happy for Foley & Co to get that call. If he was here and qualified he'd probably have got a gold jersey this year. It's all about depth.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Someone seems pretty convinced of the rumour in Wiki land...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Not sure if "calibre" is a factor or just eligibility. If it is, who makes that call? Pretty subjective really. I'm happy for Foley & Co to get that call. If he was here and qualified he'd probably have got a gold jersey this year. It's all about depth.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I also thought the ARU had to sign off that the player had the potential to become a wallaby or something along those lines. Didn't someone get knocked back last year that we tried to sign? Maybe they have decided to stop holding us back
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast