Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How can Force assist to develop WA rubgy

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Those who dismiss the Schoolboy system with tired one liners say more about their own personal bias than anything to do with the talent pool that is nurtured and would largely not be discovered, if not globally, then certainly in Western Australia. School sports are an integral part of the private school system, which strongly encourages students to participate in team orientated sports as part of a rounded education. Many of these young boys wouldn't bother with sport if left to their devices and certainly there is no direct correlation between Schools Union players and lost Club Juniors. However, given exposure through the Schools system they go on to join Clubs as Colts and many of WA's finest to head East and overseas have come from a Schools background. There is also a disproportionate number of Boarders playing Union in Schools who, with few exceptions, would never of otherwise found the code.
    It angers me this kind of reverse elitism that has evolved that on the one hand bags the Schoolboy origins and traditions and on the other champions the very traditions and values that have evolved on College grounds since the founding days of the code.
    The smart Club member would not be dismissing the Schools, but rather attempting to get their Club to form a formal affiliation with their local Private School to form pathways from the College ground to their Club ground.

The pathways developed within the Schools system to Australian Representation have lead to the early recognition of some of this nations greatest players: http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=24299

And as for the Schools system in general, pretty sure crowds like this (found following a one minute Youtube search) aren't being seen at WA Club Colts matches anytime...ever...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKLA-L-N2Hs"]Riverview, 1st XV GPS CHAMPIONS 1996 v St Joseph's College 5/7 - YouTube[/ame]

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post

MOOOOving right along....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    MOOOOving right along....
    Bahahaha!

vCash
    Udder mayhem!!!

vCash
    I agree with Burgs; it is school sports that introduces kids to sports they may never have contermplated playing or not have the opportunity to experience if it was up to the kids or parents to organise outside of school. This is of particular significance in a state dominated by Aussies Rules.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    ..This is of particular significance in a state dominated by Aussies Rules.
    and this brings me to another issue that is not directly related to structuring and nurturing the game as a whole, but more for the Force.

Every year there is a vast number of teenagers playing footy being produced. Many of these young men have ambitions towards either playing in the WAFL, or even the AFL. Is the Force making any effort to convince 15-18yo footy players that want to play AFL but dont get picked up that there is an opportunity for professional sport in rugby? I would hazard a guess that there are both extremely speedy, and quite large young men, not front rowers but outside backs and flankers (maybe even a lock).

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    and this brings me to another issue that is not directly related to structuring and nurturing the game as a whole, but more for the Force.

Every year there is a vast number of teenagers playing footy being produced. Many of these young men have ambitions towards either playing in the WAFL, or even the AFL. Is the Force making any effort to convince 15-18yo footy players that want to play AFL but dont get picked up that there is an opportunity for professional sport in rugby? I would hazard a guess that there are both extremely speedy, and quite large young men, not front rowers but outside backs and flankers (maybe even a lock).
    The AFL is now adopting something similar in USA with college students who don’t get picked up in the NBL/NFL as they are ready made athletes but unlike AUD the US don’t have WAFL/VFL type comps for the ones who miss out on getting to the big times so they are now bringing them here to try there hand at AFL.

You could be onto something there Bison.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackswan View Post
    This point of view is what is inhibiting wetsern Australia rugby from developing.
    And the reasoning behind this is what.Please explain ,my view is the same as most of the other contributors on this forum

vCash
    IMHO - the demand for a quota of WA based players will never work, though we should be ensuring those that do rise to the top stay here and feel as this is the dream that they have been vying for. We have seen in numerous other threads, lists of WA talent lost to the east or overseas due to limited opportunity, short sightedness on local scouting staff or just plain bad luck. This part needs to be addressed along with the lack of funds to assist these up and comers to achieve their own and the teams goals.

Last year there were five young players training with the Force all preseason. All of these bar one I think, have had to drop out now as they can no longer afford to give up six months of their lives training full time with no help baring the generosity of their families. With the demise of contracted academy players (10k goes a long way to help a kid travel and cover costs) this local talent is now either being lost to the game at this level or is heading elsewhere, where they can make a buck and ultimately get snapped up by other pro teams.

Very few people actually take in to account the pressure and cost on a talented 18 or 20 year old lad who has a shot but has to leave his job, Uni or family to do it. We should be encouraging them to chase a dream but without financial assistance it becomes limited to those with cash already. No one else can compete.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    And the reasoning behind this is what.Please explain ,my view is the same as most of the other contributors on this forum
    With regard to the second point you made ..... Christopher Columbus was in a very small minority when he contended that the earth was not flat, so history shows us that being in a minority is no reason to change one's mind.

The premise that I dispute is that the Force "owe" local club rugby and have a responsibility towards developing the game at club level. As I wrote in my first post, developing local club and comp rugby is RWA's responsibility. To specifically answer your question, the idea that because professional players are paid in one state then they should forego their opportunities to play inter-state or even overseas highlights the deficiency in the attitude of some local club members and smacks of "the Force owe us" ...........

The reason this inhibits the development of the game in WA is that it channels peoples thinking down narrow "they owe us" avenues and prevents a broader perspective from being adopted that accepts that it is RWA and the clubs that must take responsibility for growing the game in WA. How do you come up with bright ideas if you always revert to"the Force should be doing ....." ?

vCash
    Very insightful piece by Elisha Pierce on the roar:
    http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/10/19...m-its-new-ceo/

Blackswan, the Force is the professional arm of RugbyWA. It is the pinnacle of the pyramid for player development achievement in this state. Juniors, Schools, Colts, Seniors (amateurs and semi-pro), Force. If you like, the argument should be "how could RugbyWA use the resources of the Force to assist in player development in WA".

It is imperative for the continued existence of the Force, and any nurturing of rugby in this state, that there is a clear player progression route and development program. Many of the problems the Force face (that Reds Tahs and Brums do not) which prevents success is constantly raiding the left over stocks of club players interstate after those other franchises have their pick, and then keeping those young men interested and focused in playing for a state team that is not their own.

Sure there are terrific young men like Hodgo and others who have given their all, but that should not be relied on. There are plenty of others that leave at the first opportunity, and then you have to wonder when the chips are down, when its tight, the game is there to be won with just a bit more effort, hit that ruck, make that tackle, is so and so's heart REALLY in it. Is that the reason we lose so many games by a whisker? That some are only going "through the motions" or more realistically putting in 90% instead of 110%?

I for one have no emotional attachment to Reds or Tahs, if they picked me up I would happily trouser the dosh, but my heart is here. And if I then played against the Force there is always a certain pride in sticking it to your own, but is that outweighed by emotional disattachment? Would I really give my all for the Tahs or Reds against my home town side?

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    in addition to the comments on this thread, a local club which shall remain nameless, was quite vocal in the belief that their Prem grade players were as fit as the pro players at the Force and as such there should be more local talent snapped up. To RWA's credit, they allowed the team to wear GPS trackers at training and during a game to monitor work rate and involvement.

The results were quite significant and showed that these local players were at least 40% off he pace of the Force. Read into it what you may but it does show that there is a large gap between Club and Pro that emotion cannot bridge.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DinkyDi View Post
    in addition to the comments on this thread, a local club which shall remain nameless, was quite vocal in the belief that their Prem grade players were as fit as the pro players at the Force and as such there should be more local talent snapped up. To RWA's credit, they allowed the team to wear GPS trackers at training and during a game to monitor work rate and involvement.

The results were quite significant and showed that these local players were at least 40% off he pace of the Force. Read into it what you may but it does show that there is a large gap between Club and Pro that emotion cannot bridge.
    Terribly inconvenient things facts....

Player
    vCash
    Well covered Dinky Di.
    I understand the program of monitoring and testing Club players included Nedlands in the Grand Final as well.
    The other factor is squad size. The Force has 30 and 5 EPS. So basically two for each position and a bit of cover from 5 up and commers. The players selected by the Force must be best of the best not affirmitave action.
    Ryan Tyrell goes to Melbourne in 2013 cause the Force have Whittaker and Cheesey contracted for 2013 ie two hookers. The Force obviously can't contract everybody that people say stand out in clubland.... within the limits of a squad of 30.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2