Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ARU wants to be in charge of Aussie Super 15 Coaching appointments

vCash

ARU wants to be in charge of Aussie Super 15 Coaching appointments

The Australian Rugby Union wants full control of coaching appointments for its Super Rugby franchises under a model used by New Zealand.

Having borne the brunt of criticism for the poor performance of the Wallabies and the Super Rugby franchises this year, the ARU is trying to emulate the NZRU system that places greatest weight on the national team's interests.

The radical move would be one of the biggest shake-ups in Australian rugby history and will be resisted by franchises who want the power to operate as separate entities.

But ARU high-performance manager David Nucifora said it was time for alignment.

Nucifora, responding to comments from former Wallabies coach Bob Dwyer about a lack of coaching talent in Australia, said there was talent but many good coaches were not being given opportunities at the higher levels.

"We get rocks thrown at us, but the ARU doesn't have the power to appoint Super Rugby coaches, unlike New Zealand Rugby Union, who have a say in all of those coaching positions," Nucifora said.

"If we're going to cop the blame then we should be given the responsibility.

"If we could get that alignment from the top to the bottom, with regards to coaching pathways that aligns premier (club) rugby, Super Rugby through to the national level, then we do get good pathways for development.

"If we're allowed to work closely around coaching development and selection, something similar to the New Zealand model, I think that would be advantageous to us."

Prior to this interview with Nucifora, Dwyer had said: "I believe the biggest problem in Australian rugby is that our coach education programs are fundamentally flawed. Within those programs they teach things contrary to best performance in the playing of the game.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wa...-1226463663271

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If Nucifora and the ARU were efficient/competent then no big deal.

Unfortunately, they are neither....

Richard Graham anyone???

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Just imagine what that would mean for us....shudder

coz Stone Cold says so

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

"We get rocks thrown at us, but the ARU doesn't have the power to appoint Super Rugby coaches, unlike New Zealand Rugby Union, who have a say in all of those coaching positions," Nucifora said.

"If we're going to cop the blame then we should be given the responsibility.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wa...-1226463663271
    Is he seriuosly expecting us to believe the ARU had no hand in Graham going to Queensland via Perth with Foley following and then McKenzie taking Dingo's job in a few weeks time.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    And the "Use whatever excuse you can to further your own agenda award" goes to David Nucifora, the ARU.

What a performance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    But ARU high-performance manager David Nucifora said it was time for alignment. (with whom - surely not him)

(The rocks are thrown because you cannot deliver at any level including U20s)

Prior to this interview with Nucifora, Dwyer had said: "I believe the biggest problem in Australian rugby is that our coach education programs are fundamentally flawed. Within those programs they teach things contrary to best performance in the playing of the game.
    [/url]
    Oh my God - The worst coach in the ARU at the moment not only wants to steal every academy player and hide them in Sydney and Brisbane, screws up the U20 for the last few years and has no winning credentials himself, now wants to grow his empire by taking on the S15 Coaching appointments......

He is a megalomaniac and one of the root causes of the issues of development and growth of the game.....

Please!!! someone lead a very bloody Coup and get rid of this twat and JON whilst they are at it.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    It just occured to me that the High Performance Manager title might not refer to Rugby performence. Perhaps it actually refers to High Performance in Back Room Politics?

vCash
    And I can imagine what the privately-owned Rebels will have to say to an ARU-imposed coach. I don't think any of the words will be printable, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post

Richard Graham anyone???
    Wash your mouth out with soap young man!

vCash
    So fixing the problems caused by ARU meddling will only be fixed by even more ARU meddling?

Mr Nucifora, please resign so Rugby can actually progress with new ideas and fresh enthusiasm and not being constantly a sport stuck in communist ideals and dictatorship.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash

vCash
    There is a thought-provoking article around this very topic in today's Strayan, by Bret Harris.

Essentially comments on how well the NZ model must be, given the relative success of their franchises and national team (which, we'd have to admit, has done quite well in recent times).

Also points out the relatively low number of game minutes players like Richie have played in Super Rugby this year in comparison with, say, Bambam and ergo how injuries are not as big a factor in the NZ model.

If I knew how to find the article online I'd post the link. Failing that I can tell you the address of the library I read it in...

vCash
    I have been laughing about this since I read it this am. My God what a fool!
    The ARU are doing thier best to ruin rugby in Australia not improve it.

May the FORCE be with you!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Nucifora is an inflammatory knob-head. The arrogance of the ARU makes them so few friends amongst the Australian S15 teams. Would the ARU have appointed Jake White? Fat bloody chance. He's the best thing that's happened to the Brumbies in almost 10 years.

If the ARU was serious about coach development they would put into place a 3rd tier of rugby that is a step up from club rugby.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Say it how it is James.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast