Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gulls fly into preliminary finals

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Gulls fly into preliminary finals

UWA will not defend their premiership title after being hustled out of the 2012 Pindan Premier Grade competition by Cottesloe in today’s minor semi-final.

Cottesloe piled on four unanswered tries in the first half but dropped their intensity in the second, giving UWA the opportunity to claw back the lead. Three successive tries for the students in the second half livened up the one sided game but Cottesloe held strong and advanced to the preliminaries with a 36-17 victory.

The Gulls coach Ian Fowler was thrilled with his side’s victory and credited their dominance in the first half.

“It was outstanding, we showed a lot of patience after those first few minutes where everyone was just trying to score as soon as they got it but to be able to put four tries on and show good control of the ball was great because that’s what we’ve been working on,” Fowler said.

“It was a bit heart stopping in the middle of that second half there where we let them right back into the game to their credit.

“In the second half we lost a bit of composure trying to go too wide too early and turned a fair bit of ball over trying to score too early in the phase count.”

Cottesloe will now battle it out with Associates for a Grand Final spot against Nedlands and Fowler said they will have their work cut out for them.

“There was a lot of intensity in that game yesterday; both teams came out really hard so we’re going to need to match that,” said Fowler

“They probably should have won that game yesterday and they’ll be pushing hard for that grand final berth as will we so it should be a good match up.”

UWA Coach Steve McFarland acknowledged his side’s slow start was detrimental to their game today but was pleased with their fight back in the second half.

“It was disappointing in the first half and in semi-finals you can’t allow a side to jump out to a 20 point lead and although we had a lot more endeavour and effort in the second half, it wasn’t enough,” McFarland said.

“There was a bit of lethargy in the first half and I think we spoke of getting out and having a crack and certainly that energy in the second half was significantly better than it was earlier in the game.”

Nerves seemed to plagues both teams in the opening ten minutes of the game as they traded possession numerous times courtesy of fumbled balls and ill-discipline at the break down.

Cottesloe regained their composure and began a punishing assault on the Uni defensive lines as Ryan Louwrens easily evaded a number of attempted tackles, sprinting down the wing to score the Gulls first. It was a tough angle to convert and Ed Melville was unable to add the extras.

Lock Nick Haining scored the second under the posts with perseverance paying off for the Gulls as they attacked the line through a number of phases then quickly spread the ball wide. Melville slotted the conversion with ease to give Cottesloe the 12-0 lead.

The Gulls continued to find the weak points in the student’s defence as Michael Scott claimed five points of his own when he scrambled over the try line. Melville’s boot was again on target and the lead extended to 19-0.

UWA had their opportunities to add to the scoreboard but Cottesloe’s defence was impenetrable.

With the half time break looming, Cottesloe were again rewarded for patience in their phase play as Sam Heinemann joined the try scorers list. Melville’s conversion saw them take a 26-0 lead at half time.

The pain continued for the reigning premiers in the second half as fullback Jared Cropper crossed the line in the opening minute. From the restart, Cottesloe took possession as they pulled the Uni defence in tight before spreading it wide again to find Cropper on the opposite wing.

Melville’s conversion wasn’t successful but Cottesloe were not concerned as their lead blew out to 31-0.

University pounced on Cottesloe’s over confidence and pulled themselves back into the game with three successive tries.

Flyhalf Alan Gaughan broke through the defensive line and stumbled over for UWA’s first points and with the successful conversion, took the scores to 31-7.

Just minutes later the student’s again drove the ball forward and after a number of phases scored their second through winger Kurt Penney. The third had the UWA supporters on their feet as Marc Casey eluded the Cottesloe defence and downed the ball in the corner to take his side to within 14 points with plenty of time on the clock.

UWA again began to move the ball out of their territory but a charge down slowed the momentum and Cottesloe kicked back into gear.

Tobias Hoskins sealed the preliminary final berth for his side, running the ball from the half way line to cross for Cottesloe’s sixth try of the game. T

The final siren sounded not long after, ending University’s finals campaign 36-17.

http://www.westernforce.com.au/NewsE...8/Default.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    There was a siren?

That's novel for a local rugby ground!

Champion
    vCash
    Ecky ...she was gorgeous...in fact there were numerous Sirens or Sirees, at the Foreshore. Great weather, next to water and you get great eye candy.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    Ecky ...she was gorgeous...in fact there were numerous Sirens or Sirees, at the Foreshore. Great weather, next to water and you get great eye candy.
    There were good talent displayed at the Foreshore yesterday. And the rugby was not to bad either!

Champion
    vCash
    Rugby????

vCash
    Why wasnt Cloete starting for Cott?

GRAB YOUR MATE!

Senior Player
    vCash
    he's yesterdays man. They've imported someone better for the finals.

vCash
    Oh here we go again... imported some one better.. Sam Hieneman started 10 if I am not mistaken (Cott since U9s) followed by Tob Hoskins (local player since U8s - joined Cott 3 years ago). I hear that Cloete played 2nds as he missed a training session during the week and was on the bench for 1sts... Wrong Again RM

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DinkyDi View Post
    Oh here we go again... imported some one better.. Sam Hieneman started 10 if I am not mistaken (Cott since U9s) followed by Tob Hoskins (local player since U8s - joined Cott 3 years ago). I hear that Cloete played 2nds as he missed a training session during the week and was on the bench for 1sts... Wrong Again RM
    So for someone who has continued to profess not to be a Cott supporter, merely an interested by stander, you seem to know a lot about the Cott players, inc following them around since they were 7. You are one sick bastard and worse still, you've been outed as a di hard Cott supporter.

Champion
    vCash
    I love it... Hey Dinky Di... ignore the rantings and diatribe from RM. He runs, he hides, he spruiks crap, then when further questioned, goes silent. He's never been on a committee, never coached ( well, let's say he's been asked if he has numerous times and he's avoided the questions ) He is so gutless, he's an embarrasment to the game.

I see he's given up trying keep me honest, because he's lost that stupid quest. Hang in there...like a bad smell he'll dissapear into the cesspit of inneundo and personal insults.

He has even got to the point of denigrating the title Rumour Monger.

Just Ignore him, as there never has and I daresay it never will be a constructive comment or idea that comes from it...cannot call RM a him or her!!!

vCash
    RM - I just am tired of you bashing any team - totally unnecessary and even if I was a Cott supporter, coach, player, administrator or anything to do with Cott it would not warrant the rant you have just made.

The big difference is that I am informed... nothing more or less. No speculation, rants, innuendo, unverified slander and the like which you seem to take such pleasure in whilst sullying an important site for rugby supporters. I get it wrong on occasion as does everyone else but unlike you, I am happy to admit mistakes and apologise if required. You continue to hijack threads with rubbish and once proved wrong... again and again... instead of admitting a mistake you launch into another unwarranted diatribe.

I wish I could feel sory for you but you are a coward who hides behind an alias and one day once you have had treatment you will realise that acting as an internet Troll is a spineless profession. You are a disgrace to this site and to your club.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

vCash
    BTW - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet) re the reference a troll - no disrespect to the Billy Goats Gruff intended

vCash
    I love it... Hey Dinky Di... ignore the rantings and diatribe from RM. He runs, he hides, he spruiks crap, then when further questioned, goes silent. He's never been on a committee, never coached ( well, let's say he's been asked if he has numerous times and he's avoided the questions ) He is so gutless, he's an embarrasment to the game.!
    The best advise I have had in a while Hansie... such a shame that RM keeps hijacking threads.

Enough said

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DinkyDi View Post
    you are a coward who hides behind an alias
    I sincerely apologise. I didn't realise that Dinky Di was your real name; I thought it was an alias.

The french flag put me off the scent.

Senior Player
    vCash
    I love it... Hey Dinky Di... ignore the rantings and diatribe from RM. He runs, he hides, he spruiks crap, then when further questioned, goes silent. He's never been on a committee, never coached ( well, let's say he's been asked if he has numerous times and he's avoided the questions ) He is so gutless, he's an embarrasment to the game.

I see he's given up trying keep me honest, because he's lost that stupid quest. Hang in there...like a bad smell he'll dissapear into the cesspit of inneundo and personal insults.

He has even got to the point of denigrating the title Rumour Monger.

Just Ignore him, as there never has and I daresay it never will be a constructive comment or idea that comes from it...cannot call RM a him or her!!!
    Careful Hansie, be very careful. I let you off the leash and you're off slagging people off and getting your blood pressure up. Relax, you're supposed to winding down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast