20 Brett Sheehan
    21 Kyle Godwin
    22 Junior Rasolea

Some of the method to the "madness":

Props
    1 Pek Cowan
    3 Salesi Ma'afu
    17 Kieran Longbottom

Prop was actually a little tricky to select, mainly as I am not sure of the status of Salesi Manu, or the strength of the Coaching staff to select him over Ma'afu. I believe Cowan has earned his spot, but needs to make another step up this season, he seems to have plateaued a little in 2012. With Manu available Longbottom becomes a very handy Squad back up with Tetera Faulkner and Ruan Smith (if still on the books?).

Hooker
    2 Nathan Charles
    16 Ben Whittaker

Personally, my preferred option, unlike many of the (especially female) supporters is Whittaker to start with Charles to create havoc in the tiring last 35 minutes. However, I'm the first to concede in 2012 Whittaker was a little MIA at times and indeed, not even selected without public explanation for a couple of matches. I think, baring injury or planned rotation to rest Charles, that you can ink in 2 Charles and 16 Whittaker for all of 2013.

Locks
    4 Toby Lynn
    5 Phoenix Battye
    18 Sam Wykes

It was actually in the Locks that I had the hardest time deciding on the starter to partner Lynn. I hope Lynn steps up as the senior Lock in the camp now as at times towards the end of season 2012 he looked like he didn't want to be around at all. I could mount arguments for Battye, Wykes and (if staying around) Atkins, however, I have gone for a development year here and in most XV decisions in investing Battye for the future. Wykes doesn't really do it for me as a positional player, though I recognise he probably deserves to be playing each week, so with Alcock on my bench I have given Wykes the job of cover for #4-6,8.

Backrow
    6 Richard Brown
    7 Matt Hodgson
    8 Ben McCalman
    19 Chris Alcock

I think all would recognise that the Backrow is our genuine strength, despite the departure of Pocock. Alcock brings a bit of late match agro to the mix, though in a wet match or against a big side I would probably lean towards 6 Cottrell (if still around) 18 McCaffrey 19 Brown.

Halves
    9 Alby Mathewson
    10 Sias Ebersohn

We have invested so they must perform. The Force has had a pretty lousey ROI with overseas players overall but we may have finally got it right with these guys. They will start the season anyway. Rumour has it that Flyhalf will be wearing the letter J this year...

Centres
    12 Chris Tuatara-Morrison
    13 Will Tupuo

A little like for the Locks, the end decision was investing in the future. We have both of these blokes through until 2014 so it is time to see what they can do individually and as a pair. Our other Centre options are known quantities and, to be fair, they aren't exceptional. With the creativity in the Halves then this leaves the option for a more direct, hard hitting Centre style, being put into space by especially Ebersohn. See Bench comments re other options.

Outside Backs
    11 Alfie Mafi
    14 Nick Cummins
    15 Sam Norton-Knight

With a given that Norton-Knight will start and that Fullback is probably his best position, it is then a case of Mafi needing a jersey and Cummins not being seen as a Centre option (yet). I think the three of them complement each other quite well with, in jersey order, an elusive runner, a direct runner and a strategic kicker. Would expect to see Mafi drop back to Fullback as Norton-Knight goes forward to provide a Flyhalf fill in option during multi-phase ball and also when the Bench comes on.

Plan B
    20 Brett Sheehan
    21 Kyle Godwin
    22 Junior Rasolea

Right, call this Plan B. I have creativity in 9-10 and direct running in 12-13. I would have Sheehan mentoring Godwin and Rasolea, training together night and day as the 10-12 future of the Force (ie 2015 onwards). They should be molded into a team within the team that is subbed on at 50 if things are getting away from us under Plan A. Too long we leave change until the only real option is furious panic to win. By 2015 Sheehan will be gone so we will slot either Turner or his replacement into #9 to complete the set in the next two seasons.

Overall I think this is the best balance to a Squad now in genuine start again (rebuild, call it what you will) mode.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Dellit(when fit)would be pretty close to being in the game day squad

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think both Dellit and Sidey will be getting plenty of match time, but I wouldn't pick them first given a 100% fit Squad. Different answer at the start of 2012 season mind you, just been a bit disappointed with them after a promising debut for each.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Burgs- you haven't mentioned Rapana in the mix. I believe he's a pretty hot prospect if he's still signed for this year.

vCash
    I wouldn't have Maafu within Hungry Jacks distance of the squad.
    Rapana is a prospect on a wing, so Mafi and HB can move to centers or injury.
    Delitt was injured a fair bit this year, same with
    Whittaker.
    Wasn't Sidey offloaded yesterday?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    I wouldn't have Maafu within Hungry Jacks distance of the squad.
    Rapana is a prospect on a wing, so Mafi and HB can move to centers or injury.
    Delitt was injured a fair bit this year, same with
    Whittaker.
    Wasn't Sidey offloaded yesterday?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Totally agree Bison. There was suggestion yesterday of Sidey being given the flick for 2013. Personally, I think that wouldn't be a bad thing.

vCash
    If Rapana is as good as his press suggests, he should get the 11 and Mafi should get a shot at 12. Make Tuatara-Morrison and Tupou fight it out for the other centre spot and see what happens.

Personally I'd pick the former for 13 because it looks like he'd be better if Mafi blows it and needs to be shuffled out to the wing. Put Mafi on Cummo's wing and shift everybody in one....makes for a nice versatile backline with a bit more fire to it.

Tupou on the bench would allow for many variations and there would be injury cover for pretty much everybody with two backs.

Ma'afu is a wasted spot, if Manu isn't available, then K-Bomb should have the gig.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Burgs - "Sidey is no longer required"

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Shame, always thought he was underperforming for his ability.
    He'll have a career somewhere.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Centres
    12 Chris Tuatara-Morrison
    13 Will Tupuo

A little like for the Locks, the end decision was investing in the future. We have both of these blokes through until 2014 so it is time to see what they can do individually and as a pair. Our other Centre options are known quantities and, to be fair, they aren't exceptional. With the creativity in the Halves then this leaves the option for a more direct, hard hitting Centre style, being put into space by especially Ebersohn. See Bench comments re other options....
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    If Rapana is as good as his press suggests, he should get the 11 and Mafi should get a shot at 12. Make Tuatara-Morrison and Tupou fight it out for the other centre spot and see what happens.

Personally I'd pick the former for 13...

Guys, this bloke is a complete unknown non-entity, its not like he is a gun signing from league. He might turn out ok, he might be the best thing since Michael O'Connor, but we dont know a single thig about him, he has zero form in league or union. Its a complete gamble. So no, until we know something about him - can he catch, tackle, pass, kick to name a few - he does not get a look in to Bisons XV, not even on the bench.

If he shows something in pre-season sure he is considered, until then sorry but no.

Bisons XXII (red is injury cover who I trust ATM)
    1 Pek Cowan
    2 Nathan Charles
    3 Kieran Longbottom
    4 Toby Lynn
    5 Sam Wykes
    6 Richard Brown Cottrell
    7 Matt Hodgson
    8 Ben McCalman

9 Alby Mathewson
    10 Sias Ebersohn
    11 Jordan Rapana
    12 Alfie Mafi Stanley
    13 Will Tupuo
    14 Nick Cummins
    15 Sam Norton-Knight

16 Ben Whittaker
    17 Salesi Manu
    18 Phoenix Battye
    19 Chris Alcock McCaffrey
    20 Brett Sheehan
    21 Kyle Godwin
    22 Pat Dellit Rasolea

Last edited by sittingbison; 10-09-12 at 08:46.
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He's a big bastard who runs straight, hard and fast, hits hard in the tackle, has a deadly in-tackle offload, can catch a bomb and kick goals from either touchline, that puts him in front of our other options for mine. They've got Mathewson, Ebersohn and Norton-Knight to worry about passing it.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    do we think our backs will make it through preseason without career ending injuries?! #forcecurse!

vCash
    Not Ma'afu. Cowan and Longbottom should be starting.

Full front row on the bench next year so, Manu and Faulkner on the bench.

Ma'afu should be disposed of....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    With a given that Norton-Knight will start and that Fullback is probably his best position, it is then a case of Mafi needing a jersey and Cummins not being seen as a Centre option (yet). I think the three of them complement each other quite well with, in jersey order, an elusive runner, a direct runner and a strategic kicker. Would expect to see Mafi drop back to Fullback as Norton-Knight goes forward to provide a Flyhalf fill in option during multi-phase ball and also when the Bench comes on.
    Why is it a given that SNK will start at fullback? He didn't exactly cover himself in glory in Wales, and God knows what he's been up to in Japan. He should certainly be given the opportunity, but I thought Mafi played very well there in the latter part of the season, and the 15 jersey should be his to lose. I definitely think that at 15, he's allowed a bit more freedom to pop up in the attacking line at different spots (I think I saw him slot into first receiver a couple times, or just take a short ball off the ruck).

Other than that, I like they way you're thinking. If Tuatara-Morrison is all he's cracked up to be, that could be a line-bending/breaking center combination.

Things are looking up!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Probably makes more sense as individual points Nipper:

1. A given that Norton-Knight will start (They wouldn't have recruited that type of player, or been able to draw him back from Japan for anything less)

2. Fullback is probably his best position (And he isn't a good enough player to play out of position. He has big match experience there so therefore may as well use him there.)

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast