Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Force is strong in SBW clone

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

The Force is strong in SBW clone

• by: Jamie Pandaram
    • September 09, 201212:00AM

Western Force signing Chris Tuatara-Morrison. Picture: Anthony Reginato Source: The Daily Telegraph

TWO young Kiwi league prospects with freakish off-loading ability sat side by side in the Bulldogs' locker room six years ago.

As Sonny Bill Williams went on to find fame, Chris Tuatara-Morrison worked on building sites dreaming of what could have been and cursing the opportunity he threw away.
    In an intriguing twist, Williams went to union and won numerous trophies but will head back to the NRL next year, while Tuatara-Morrison has switched to rugby and just signed a two-year deal with the Western Force.
    Tuatara-Morrison admits this is a second chance few people get, and he intends to make it count by claiming the Force's No. 12 jersey.
    "I was 18 when I got signed by the Bulldogs, there I was with a locker next to Sonny Bill," Tuatara-Morrison, 25, said.
    "I suddenly had all this money, was hanging around with my idols, and I just took it all for granted. I was drinking more than I was training hard.

"I wanted to have fun with mates, but as a professional athlete that doesn't mix."
    After just two NRL games and a few off-field incidents, Tuatara-Morrison was released and fell into "dark times", living on pizza and booze, putting 18kg on his once-lean 100kg frame.
    He credits two ex-girlfriends for pulling him out of the mental despair. Tuatara-Morrison found his way to Wests Tigers and then the Roosters, but serious foot injuries prevented him playing any first grade.
    Following a failed stint in the UK, Tuatara-Morrison returned to take up a carpenter's apprenticeship.
    "I really appreciated the opportunity I had at the Bulldogs when at 7am I'd be on a jack-hammer digging out a footing," he said.
    "I'd sit there daydreaming of what could have been. The building industry is great, but I always wanted to be a professional football player."
    Tuatara-Morrison thought he had his lifeline when Super League club Catalans made an offer, before his management at IMG convinced him to take the biggest gamble of his career and give rugby a shot.
    This season he has been a revelation for Norths in the Shute Shield, with his off-loads causing havoc for opposition defences.
    It convinced Force coaching director Michael Foley to sign him until 2014.
    "It is the second chance I've been waiting for. It has come six years later, but to get a two-year deal with the Force is unbelievable," Tuatara-Morrison said. "If I play just one game of Super Rugby, I will be over the moon. It has been a long road back, one that I would not suggest anyone else to take. It's the hardest lesson I've had to learn."
    The Norths centre, who lines up against Sydney University in today's Shute Shield semi-final at TG Millner Field, has had his fair share of road blocks.
    He is the cousin of Temuera Morrison, who played Jake The Muss in Once Were Warriors and said his upbringing was not dissimilar to that in the movie.
    "I have two uncles in jail, an aunty in jail, I could have easily gone the wrong way," he said.
    "I have a few mates that I grew up with in jail. Growing up, I just had people around me who kids shouldn't really have as role models in their life."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/ru...-1226468205551

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Bloody Mungo.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Bloody Mungo.
    Indeed. What is it with us and problem children..we get them either injured physically or emotionally.

Perth via Pittsburgh USA via London England
    vCash
    Maybe this is all we can hope for? Marquee players won't come to a stagnant franchise, so we have to sign reclamation projects. If he plays to his potential and stays out of trouble he might be a steal for us and if he does turn into a star he might stay long term out of loyalty, because we gave him a shot. But then again I might be blindly optimistic.

You can scratch my back with a hacksaw!

Veteran
    vCash
    Hopefully he is trying to turn his life around. I guess there will be a bunch of things in his contract that says that he has to behave!

at least it isn't a 12month contract.

Welcome aboard!

vCash
    Let's give him a chance. I'm liking the idea of throwing some unknows with huge potential in to the squad.

Wikipedia definition - Motley Crew
    A motley crew is a cliché for a roughly organized assembly of characters. Typical examples of motley crews are pirates, Western posses, rag-tag mercenary bands and freedom fighters.

By fu*k there's a few teams that'll be wary of us next year! Bring on 2013!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Reads to me he is a young man with life earnt character and a desire to fulfill a dream.
    Chris the Muss, welcome aboard, you've got my vote

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Rookie
    vCash
    Off to nedlands heard its just a random team he chose while he's learning his craft oh an the money on offer didn't affect his thinking as he was still drunk
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Reads to me he is a young man with life earnt character and a desire to fulfill a dream.
    Chris the Muss, welcome aboard, you've got my vote
    that's it.

hopefully he sees the force as a lifeline for his career. and takes it with both hands.

wonder if he will get back down to 100 though, or if they will try and keep as much weight on him as possible, while remaining agile and hopefully fast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Indeed. What is it with us and problem children..we get them either injured physically or emotionally.
    I shoulda used in that post. It seems to be the closest we have to a "Taking the Piss" smiley.

Have seen him play some Shute Shield. Welcome aboard. Mungo.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    It's better to get them after they have learnt some of life's lessons.

He appreciates the opportunity and will hopefully make the most of it.

Sounds promising.

Player
    vCash
    My sources tell me that this guy is something special. If he is half as good as they are telling me he will be more than a welcome addition to the Force.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Off to nedlands heard its just a random team he chose while he's learning his craft oh an the money on offer didn't affect his thinking as he was still drunk
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Regular as the 5:15, just love it, he's qualified for the finals too.

vCash
    Get ya boots on son

I like this bloke

mean, nasty, close relatives in the slammer

Realises he wasted his talent and wants to make amends........... = hunger

Start him at 12 in 2013

Rex is well-happy

Controversy corner

vCash
    Making the right noises. Recognizes he went off rails, not making any excuses, sounds mighty pleased and excited at a second chance. Could be desperate to prove himself.

Project though ATM, not the marquee we need at 12.

Welcome Chris, hope it turns out well for both you and the Force
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast