Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MANU SET FOR NORTH HARBOUR’S ITM CUP OPENER

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

MANU SET FOR NORTH HARBOUR’S ITM CUP OPENER

Friday, 24 August 2012

Emirates Western Force front-rower Salesi Manu will make his ITM Cup debut for North Harbour on Sunday (26 August).

North Harbour will begin their campaign this weekend against 2010 and 2011 runners-up, Waikato, in Albany.

The WA prop was granted dispensation by the Australian Rugby Union to play in the New Zealand provincial competition.

Manu, who can play either side of the scrum, will join the likes of former Chiefs front-rower and North Harbour co-captain Ben Afeaki, and Auckland Blues backs Michael Hobbs, Francis Saili and Rudi Wulf.

The 21-year-old, who accumulated a total of eight caps in his first season of FxPro Super Rugby, says he’s keen to line up against some of New Zealand’s top scrummagers.

“The competition is not only high quality but it’s very condensed,” he said. “In one month we play seven games with a three and four day turnaround which is something I’ll have to get used to.

“I’m really excited to continue testing myself against some classy players. This is a strong competition and one that has a lot of excellent front-rowers.

“It’s been great being with Ben Afeaki and I’m sure there’s a lot for me to learn just from training and playing with him. The coaching staff have been very helpful and [former All Black prop] Greg Somerville’s the Scrum Coach and has given me some good advice.”

Manu joined the Emirates Western Force on an Extended Playing Squad contract for the 2012 season, making his FxPro Super Rugby debut off the bench against the Stormers in Week 10.

He earned his first run-on start at tighthead prop against the Brumbies in Week 16, holding down the starting role for the final three matches of the season opposing Wallabies loosehead Ben Alexander (Brumbies), and All Blacks front-rowers Tony Woodcock (Blues) and Ben Franks (Crusaders).

“I took a lot of confidence out of starting against those guys in the last few games” he said. “In saying that, it’s really important for me to front up in each match during the ITM Cup. Every prop’s different and if you want to be a good prop you’ve got to be able to adapt to different situations and adapt to the game. I’m still learning that but it’s good to have that confidence knowing I can compete against these guys.”

Emirates Western Force Forwards Coach Nick Stiles says the experience will hold in him good stead ahead of the 2013 FxPro Super Rugby season.

“Salesi’s one of the up-and-coming front-rowers in Australian rugby but he’s still young in front row terms and the experience he’ll gain by playing in competition like the ITM Cup will be endless,” he said.

“He developed so much through the second half of the season when he was given his opportunity in Super Rugby and this will accelerate his learning.

“He’ll come back significantly more experienced than he did 12 months ago when he started with us and we think we’ve got a very good blend of front row forwards and he’ll complement our squad and make competition for places very tough.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    so is he signed up for next year?

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    EPS if anything, certainly not in first 30 so far.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Gee he was great this year, not the best scrummager yet but learning quickly. But what impressed me the most was the hard metres he made and the hits he put on. Having the likes of Yoda teaching him is bloody great. hurry up and sign him up properly and let More food go

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    let More food go
    Would that make Manu "more nude"?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    so is he signed up for next year?
    He has signed for 2013 and 2014. 2013 in the EPS than 2014 in the main squad. My sauces are good.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NTT View Post
    He has signed for 2013 and 2014. 2013 in the EPS than 2014 in the main squad. My sauces are good.
    Would replace Mafu when he buggers off the France for a croissants or a thousand.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    Would replace Mafu when he buggers off the France for a croissants or a thousand.
    Ma'afu is blocking the real props from getting game time. I'd have K-bomb or Manu anyday. Least they make it to at least 3 rucks a game and last more than 30 mins a game. My vote for most overrated Wallaby of all time alongside Mark Chisolm. Thanks Richard Graham.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    saw big dog david Te moana on fox this arvo playing for manawatu
    weighs about 150 kg by the look of him
    scored a meat pie though

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Ma'afu is blocking the real props from getting game time.
    Ma'afu does a lot of blocking- toilets, views at the cinema, other props, the sun. The list goes on.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    his arteries appear to be ok though

vCash
    Good to see a EWF boy doing the hard yards and so keen to learn! Great attitude! He is definately a bloke we need to hand on to. He and Cheese in the front row bring a lot of mungrel!

Champion
    vCash
    Your sauces are almost right. Not sure if he has actually signed yet but will be doing so.

Rookie
    vCash
    Pity we can't get our whole team in their comp.I reckon Vern should publicly ask the NZRU if for no other reason than to give JON the shits.It would be the best thing going for the Force players and WA hopefuls though.

vCash
    Watched most of this yesterday, he played first 65 minutes and was subbed, good work at scrum against Waikato, did miss a tackle off scrum that lead to a classy Moo Moo try just before being subbed. Great experience for him

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast