Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Rumours Already !

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoolly Doolly View Post
    As far as halfbacks go we should have a good crack at Richard Kingi
    I think he is currently contracted. He would be frustrated behind Phipps though.

Do you think he would come with baggage though?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Senior Player
    vCash
    I don't understand why there isn't a bigger push to get more Argentinians playing super rugby, especially now they are in the four nations. Each of the Aussie teams should be allowed to sign one Argie on top of the existing quota. Imagine picking up someone like Hernandez, Albercete or Roncero at the Force. I guess money is the issue?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    I don't understand why there isn't a bigger push to get more Argentinians playing super rugby, especially now they are in the four nations. Each of the Aussie teams should be allowed to sign one Argie on top of the existing quota. Imagine picking up someone like Hernandez, Albercete or Roncero at the Force. I guess money is the issue?
    Their european based players are too expensive. Why move halfway around the world for half the money? Might be able to pick up a few of their next level players for reasonable amounts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Their european based players are too expensive. Why move halfway around the world for half the money? Might be able to pick up a few of their next level players for reasonable amounts.
    They get paid more in Europe, and the European style (forward-oriented, lots of kicking) seems to fit their style better than the SH style.

vCash
    Nothing possible about it - it is the missing piece of the puzzle.
    Yeah - NPC and Currie Cup are perfect for the u20's and late bloomers etc to do that semi-pro, apprenticeship prior to slotting into the big time.

It really is a shame we don't have the 2nd tier, the whole countries rugby community see's and understands the need for it, so make it work ARU - make it happen.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    Yeah - NPC and Currie Cup are perfect for the u20's and late bloomers etc to do that semi-pro, apprenticeship prior to slotting into the big time.

It really is a shame we don't have the 2nd tier, the whole countries rugby community see's and understands the need for it, so make it work ARU - make it happen.
    Currie Cup is not semi- pro. It is a fairly intense comp, [with a 100 years of tradition] sans Boks until the latter stages! Far bigger playing base than here. There is also a National u21 Currie Cup there as well- so agree we lack a significant 2nd tier- Despite what they think in Sydney- Premier rugby is not that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Engage! View Post
    Currie Cup is not semi- pro. It is a fairly intense comp, [uwith a 100 years of tradition] sans Boks until the latter stages! Far bigger playing base than here. - - - - Despite what they think in Sydney- Premier rugby is not that.
    Quite correct. I often wonder why so many otherwise rational people seem to think it's possible the ARU to magically create a "2nd tier" competition from thin air.

NZ, ZA & Euro structures have been built over the past 100 years as have those here in Oz; and they are what they are. Super Rugby and the pro European leagues are possible because TV companies are prepared to fund them. Not so a 2nd tier Australian comp.

I'm convinced the only viable alternative is 2nd XV matches at all conference fixtures - with their own finals.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    What I was getting at is the NPC for example, is made up of, Professionals, Semi-Pro & Amateurs of all ages - it's now looked at as a 2nd tier competition in NZ (I didn't say 2nd rate) which is a perfect feeder comp priding it self on culture and pathways as they don't have the money the Saffas have.

Yes Shasta, a 2nd XV comp icw our five super teams - that's 8 home & away games, maybe a few more during the mid yr test window and finals at the end of S15, that's a good chunk of games.

It would be interesting whether an U20's or straight 2ndXV would receive better viewer ratings on foxtel, I'd suggest the younger would get the TV corp dollars initially, hard to say tho.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Quite correct. I often wonder why so many otherwise rational people seem to think it's possible the ARU to magically create a "2nd tier" competition from thin air.

NZ, ZA & Euro structures have been built over the past 100 years as have those here in Oz; and they are what they are. Super Rugby and the pro European leagues are possible because TV companies are prepared to fund them. Not so a 2nd tier Australian comp.

I'm convinced the only viable alternative is 2nd XV matches at all conference fixtures - with their own finals.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    From a player development perspective the 2nd XV competition model does not have enough games. You probably need twice that number (ie 16-20) to prepare players for SR. Having your second tier the same lenght as SR would also mean that your injury cover players are match fit and ready to go at a moments notice.

vCash
    From a player development perspective the 2nd XV competition model does not have enough games.
    No. But it's better than none. Like I said Oz Rugby is what it is.and nobody seems interested in funding a second tier. [/quote]

Last edited by shasta; 16-08-12 at 09:59.

vCash
    No. But it's better than none. Like I said Oz Rugby is what it is.and nobody seems interested in funding a second tier.
    [/QUOTE]

The fans are interested. The games admin isn't. This is why there needs to be a rugby fans association - to force the games administrators to do what needs to be done, rather than what is politically expedient or personally grandiose.

Or raise the money and do it themselves...

vCash

Or raise the money and do it themselves...[/QUOTE]
    I'd like to see that!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Or raise the money and do it themselves...
    I'd like to see that!!
    Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

It is definitely possible for this to occur - the main problem is that rugby fans would have to be the most irrascible, disagreeable bunch I have ever seen. Plus ES club politics...

vCash
    I'd like to see that!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    It is definitely possible for this to occur - the main problem is that rugby fans would have to be the most irrascible, disagreeable bunch I have ever seen. Plus ES club politics...[/QUOTE]

who the feck ya callin disagreeable

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5