Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nathan Sharpe is available to fill a role with Western Force next year

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Nathan Sharpe is available to fill a role with Western Force next year

VETERAN Wallabies second-rower Nathan Sharpe has confirmed he will have a role with the Western Force next year, but it is yet to be determined what it will entail.

Sharpe, who will retire after the Wallabies' Rugby Championship campaign, was the Force's foundation captain in 2006 and is highly regarded at the Super Rugby franchise.

A strong supporter of the Force's newly appointed head of coaching Michael Foley, Sharpe was keen to maintain his link with the team even though he was moving back to the Gold Coast.

"I haven't discussed anything like that with the Force," Sharpe said. "I'll be involved with the club in some regard. It's been a great place for me. I've really enjoyed my time there.

"I've got intentions of being around there somehow. How it will work out I don't know yet.

"Things have been moving along pretty quickly behind the scenes at the Force. There's no rush for me to get involved in that. If there is a role for me and I can help out, we'll certainly talk.

"But that's down the track."

Asked whether he would become a coaching consultant at the Force, Sharpe said: "I don't know. I've got other plans in the pipeline that I'm excited about getting into. Once the organisation gets some stability and some direction as to how they want to operate I'll have a chat to them then. I do intend to be around the traps at the Force."

Sharpe welcomed Foley's appointment as head of coaching, which followed a long and arduous process since the resignation of Richard Graham in April.

"I think it is fantastic there is someone there in a position of leadership," Sharpe said. "It's a really positive result in light of the year we have had. "We wanted to make the process right. There's no point rushing into something if it's not right."

Asked what he thought Foley, who resigned from the NSW Waratahs last Tuesday, would bring to the Force, Sharpe said: "his technical ability is outstanding. And his man-management is very good as well.
    "A lot of the guys have played under him and they are excited about him coming across. It has worked out well for the Force and even though it has been an arduous process, it's been a good result for us."

Sharpe was optimistic about the Force's future. "The way we finished this season, particularly in the amount of injuries we had, the guys did fantastically well and that experience is going to really help them next year," Sharpe said.

"You couple that with a new coach and a new management structure and I think it's going to be really positive for the team."

There is speculation former Waratahs manager Chris Webb will be part of the Force's new management structure following the departure of the club's general manager of rugby, Mitch Hardy.

Sharpe did not think former Force captain David Pocock would have changed his mind about joining the Brumbies if they had secured Foley earlier.

"No, I don't think so," Sharpe said. "Poey is a considered fellow and he has made considerations that he thinks are going to suit him the best.

"The Force wish him well because he has been a fantastic contributor for us. We are bloody sad that he is leaving because he is a great guy and he's a pretty handy player too. It's just the way things go. Things don't always work out the way you'd like them to, but there is a solution to everything and we'll certainly find one."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226442571235

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash
    God he's a top bloke

vCash
    Legend !!!!
    Great to see him back in any capacity

vCash
    I've got goosebumps....What a Man, Legend, gorgeousness to the max....Lerv that man...just lerv him....!!!

He has to sign the mini....it will just an honour to have his signature on the bonnett...
    Sharpie for PM.!!!!..

vCash
    Lets bring him back - blindfolded and in the boot of a car if needed - and make him Premier!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying 14 View Post
    Lets bring him back - blindfolded and in the boot of a car if needed - and make him Premier!!
    I'm sure it wouldn't be long before we had an international standard stadium....!!! I would be his PA for free... There that would save the Government some money in itself..

vCash
    Sharpie should have been West Australian of the Year for what he's done for rugby in WA!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Sharpie should have been West Australian of the Year for what he's done for rugby in WA!!
    The trouble is that such a vast number of the population of WA have no idea who he is!
    They seem to know every AFL player that's ever played for the eagles or dockers and that seems to be the end of their education or interest. Shame!

May the FORCE be with you!

Champion
    vCash
    Harris. You really make me laugh. No sorry sick.
    Sharpie has been saying since the day he announced his retirement that he would still be working or helping out in some role. Now all of a sudden you write a story pretending you knew about it all the time and it was some kind of secret between you and him by writing: VETERAN Wallabies second-rower Nathan Sharpe has confirmed he will have a role with the Western Force next year.
    But really you know nothing because in the same breath you same: "but it is yet to be determined what it will entail."
    This was not even one of your so called exclusive interviews because it has been on Fox and everywhere else.
    The Australian is supposed to be a respected newspaper but you are making it look worse than the lowest scandal sheet.
    By the way, didn't you say John Mulvihill would have signed by now. I'm still waiting.
    Venting my spleen today. Feel better now

Last edited by wholetruth; 04-08-12 at 11:13.

vCash
    A scholar and a gentleman, the Force could not have had a better leader to get them going from day one.

I have renewed hope and optimism for the future with this leader of men getting behind our cause, no matter what capacity it is done in, or however, small it may.

Big things start from little things. Rome was not built in a day.

Suddenly the light at the end of the tunnel is no longer an oncoming train, it is a genuine spark of hope started by a genuine man, with genuine intentions.

Sharpie you are a legend in a life time, from me and many in the sea of blue, a big heartfelt thank you for the much needed morale and boost to optimism that we need going forward.

And a big thank you to your family as well for letting you part of our family as well, and family always stick together.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Can he fill the role of General Manager?

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Lets lobby for the shed to be called "The Sharpe End"

vCash
    The Sharpe End - bloody awesome!! Got my vote.

Rookie
    vCash
    Hey Snob I've heard of Povo....Paver....you know...the wog bloke with the big nose-I reckon he would have made a pretty good fullback if he had made some better lifetime decisions,so why wouldn't the "kick and giggle"f#%kwits have heard of Sharpie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast