Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: We're not a club in crisis, says Force boss

vCash

We're not a club in crisis, says Force boss

Chief executive Vern Reid insists the Western Force isn't in a crisis despite losing captain and Wallabies star David Pocock to the Brumbies and having no coach.

A complete review of club operations and a detailed look at last season's poor performance is under way but Reid said there was no reason for panic.

"Everybody clearly wants something happening, changes to be made, starting with me," Reid said.

"Some people may see it as a club in crisis. We are a long way from that."

Pocock's decision brought a massive backlash on fan sites and social media, but Reid said the majority of supporters had stayed loyal.

"I'm not being besieged by sponsors or groups of members. There is no flight of sponsorship," he said.

"If we had not lost a coach and won three more games, been able to win the tight games, we probably would not be in this position.

"Yes, we have lost the one bloke we really wanted to hang on to but there are a lot of guys who have made a commitment, a whole lot of guys like Matt Hodgson, Ben McCalman, Richard Brown and others.

"Losing David is a blow but we did all we could to keep him. I don't know what we else could have done."

The Force rugby department is being restructured and the position of rugby general manger, currently held by former Wallaby Mitch Hardy, has been scrapped and a new recruitment role created.

Former coach Richard Graham took almost sole responsibility for recruiting when he was in charge.

"Many things within the club are solid," Reid said.

"Membership is the second best in the country, we have retained the majority of our senior players, we have very good sponsorship. There are many positives."

Pocock, who joined the Force as a 17-year-old in 2005, told Reid on Saturday evening that he would not be re-signing with the club.

That night he posted an "open letter to supporters of rugby in Western Australia" on his Facebook page.

He said that while he had loved playing for the Force, a desire to be closer to his family who live in Brisbane, the travel involved in playing for the club and playing under World Cup-winning coach Jake White were among the reasons for his decision.

"There have been times we have fallen well short of our potential and while the commitment of everyone at the club can't be faulted, for all of the attitude and best intentions - both on and away from the field - I wouldn't be honest if I didn't acknowledge that," he said.

Even a last-ditch player push, with teammates sending Pocock messages, could not change his mind and it seems he may have decided that he wanted to play under White some time ago.

Reid said he was very close to signing a new coach and it is understood it is still Waratahs mentor Michael Foley despite his disappointment at Pocock's departure.

Foley has been offered a three-year deal but was waiting to see how the Pocock issue was resolved before committing.

"Losing David is a blow but we did all we could to keep him."" Western Force chief executive *Vern Reid *

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ys-force-boss/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    Is Vern trying to convince himself or the supporters that there is no crisis
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    No coach after 18 weeks

Just lost a fairly important player who happens to be the captain

Vern Reid is full of shit

vCash
    I don’t think i could be any angrier than i am right not. Vern Reid is a knob!

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    The biggest positive for the Force would be if you f*cked off Vern..........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tdevil View Post
    ...a lot of guys who have made a commitment, a whole lot of guys like Matt Hodgson, Ben McCalman, Richard Brown and others.

"Losing David is a blow but we did all we could to keep him. I don't know what we else could have done."
    OK, two points:
    1) Methinks the re-signing of the Wallaby back row a couple of months ago actually signifies Reid knew Pocock was already gone way back then.

2) Every rugby person in Australia, NZ and SA knows exactly what the Force needed to do to keep Pocock. Everyone except Reid that is. Reid has just admitted he is completely clueless and incompetent. He must step down immediately.

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    /[/url]
    I believe him when he states that they did all they could and that it would appear Pocock made his mind up some time ago. Pretty poor form from the captain imho.
    After taking a deep breath i think calling for the sacking of Reid will compound the problems. No Coach, CEO or Captain.....I remember many Brumby supporters calling for Fagans sacking but he has managed to rectify his previous error in poor judgement and leadership.

Champion
    vCash
    "Everybody clearly wants something happening, changes to be made, starting with me," Reid said.

but Reid said the majority of supporters had stayed loyal.

Some "Gutz" i want to take out of this message from Reid.

1st One - Maybe he is starting to pack up his toys and resign soon... just bloody well hope so & with rumours of Hardy leaving / Reid will surrender as I know, he knows and every1 else knows Hardy is the "worker"

2nd One - Time will tell, but talking at the pub with friends and family who are members of the EWF we / they aren't overly impressed on the dealing of the whole 2 years of issues and trying to "brush it under the carpet" (I can create the list but we all know where it starts and where it finishes) and for this I see another decline in membership #s with select the matches we want to watch in 2013.

3rd One - Sounds Like / Looks Like the JUDAS Banner will come up in 2013 for the Brumbies, with some thought going into it... (quick thought) JUDAS has 80/20 vision of $$$$ and FARK esle ALL.If its true that he had his mind set up...

I would love to ask Pocock 1 thing.. If he had his mind set some time ago, why was he so interested in being on the board and "wanting" to have a hand in selecting players and coaches if he knew (even if it was 55/45 chance of signing with the brumbies)

(as the FoxSports Rugby Club have named em) JUDAS x 2 - Cooper - Beale as 1 Direction... I'm 100% certain they are correct, 1 direction to the gold mine and not thinking or taking into consideration on where they started there rugby - developed there rugby or put back the efforts into rugby, nah none of this has been thought of....(just as Tom Cruise once said) SHOW ME THE MONEY for the cafes -haircuts

Last edited by benny; 30-07-12 at 09:12.

vCash
    There are two contexts to read this. I read it the way this site wants.

"I'm not being besieged by sponsors or groups of members. There is no flight of sponsorship," he said.
    Oh really?

Might those at RugbyWA who do read this site please refer Vern to it?

vCash
    It comes with the job but I have a habit of picking out the ambiguous statements that can be taken at least in two different ways .....

HTML Code:
    Has he at last got the message that he should resign ??

On a different note, there are some troubling comments in the article -

HTML Code:
    Pocock's decision brought a massive backlash on fan sites and social media, but Reid said the majority of supporters had stayed loyal.  "I'm not being besieged by sponsors or groups of members. "
    Does this mean that in fact he is dismissing the growing calls for his resignation as simply the reaction of a small minority ? Is the second sentence an invitiation ?

HTML Code:
    The Force rugby department is being restructured and the position of rugby general manger, currently held by former Wallaby Mitch Hardy, has been scrapped and a new recruitment role created.
    This is a real worry. My understanding is that Mitch was doing a good job and was well liked by the players. Which is quite a contrast to the lack of confidence the players have in the board.

HTML Code:
    "Membership is the second best in the country, we have retained the majority of our senior players, we have very good sponsorship. There are many positives."
    This smacks of complacency. Real head in the sand stuff.

To suggest that the Force is "not a club in crisis" is unbelievable. I wouldn't expect him to publicly admit it but I think he actually believes it.

vCash
    Ecky just beat me to it .....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackswan View Post
    HTML Code:
    This smacks of complacency. Real head in the sand stuff.
    I agree 100% given that membership for 2012 is largely sorted out at the end of 2011. Lets see if there is backlash when renewals for 2013 come out given the current debarcle

Champion
    vCash
    I think you might like to take a closer look about the claims of confidence in Mitch

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    care to elaborate?

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post

1st One - with rumours of Hardy leaving
    Heard these rumors too. It will be a travesty if he is made the fall guy for a bunch of board members that are too gutless to fall on their own swords. Mr Reid is an incompetent fool and if they follow up with the removal of a guy that has tried his heart out for this club I will not be renewing any memberships as long as he is there.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast