View Poll Results: Who is your prefered option for team Captain in 2013?

Voters
150. This poll is closed
  • Richard Brown

14 9.33%
  • Nathan Charles

23 15.33%
  • Pekahou Cowan

10 6.67%
  • Sias Ebersohn

1 0.67%
  • Matt Hodgson

83 55.33%
  • Sam Norton-Knight

23 15.33%
  • Kieran Longbottom

4 2.67%
  • Ben McCalman

8 5.33%
  • Ben Whittaker

0 0%
  • Sam Wykes

10 6.67%
  • International Recruit

4 2.67%
  • Other

9 6.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: 2013 Western Force Captain

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

2013 Western Force Captain

With the departure of Sharpe and Pocock, who is your prefered option for team Captain in 2013?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I think Pek is the right man. Been with us from the beginning. Good attitude. Has more bottle than most. And a hard man to boot.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Charles.

vCash
    Hodgo or Nathan Charles ....

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Tough one. Hodgo, Charles or Pek are all very good options. It's nice to be spoiled for choice!

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    What's going on here, not a mention of The Honey Badger, he gives the best media interviews ever!

vCash
    I think Hodgo is the obvious choice, given the current situation. But looking at his age, the choice of VC is also critical going forward.
    Between Ben Mc, Cheese & Pek.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash

HODGO - WHY CLUB CAPTAIN AND NOT TEAM CAPTAIN??

Sorry...I just don't get the recent announcement about Hodgo:

"Back-rower Matt Hodgson has been named Club Captain of the Emirates Western Force.

He will take over the responsibilities of team captain until one is appointed prior to the 2013 FxPro Super Rugby season."

After all of the uncertainty and turnovers/turnarounds I would have thought that now was the time for a bit of stability.

I can't see why someone like foundation player Matt Hodgson wouldn't be the logical choice for Team Captain instead of this interim measure.

I rate Pocock highly as a player but in reality without the pressure from the ARU he should not have been captain last year as he wasn't even part of the leadership team under Sharpie. Where's the apprenticeship and the opportunity to get exposed to bigger issues other than simply his own game.
    Hodgo has shown his commitment to the Force from the onset.

Accepting the Captain's job for only a single year is - how can I say this nicely - unsatisfactory.
    It would be interesting to know just how far off the mark was David P's initial offer.
    I wonder if our management simply tried to take advantage of a good young bloke???

Hodgo has been part of the leadership team and his numerous club awards reinforce his standing with the players and the supporters.

When Pocock and Brownie were injured for much of the 2010 Season who made up our 1-man back row and gave every game his all for the entire season???

To not make Hodgo the Team Captain now seems to be just more poor management - consistent with what we've seen now for a number of years. Valued players are not given contract extensions until the death knell - opening up offers from elsewhere. We've lost just too many good players due to mismanagement and poor negotiations. Our players are just not being treated with respect by our organisation.

We should not have missed out on Will Genia. If the deal had been sealed with a handshake then surely it was worth a trip to Brisbane to get his signature before he spilt the beans and mobilised all of the counter offers and emotional pressure from the Reds and their sponsors!!??

I hope that the captain situation isn't a case of keeping the options open so some Marque player with no knowlege of the Force or Perth can be offered the position as team Captain as part of the carrot to attract him.

This doesn't treat Hodgo or any of the other existing options the respect that he/they deserve as they have already proved their commitment to the Force!!!

Last edited by andrewg; 03-08-12 at 21:56.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    People have jumped up in arms about that but I don't see it as a big deal.

If he is the best person for the job, he will very much likely still be the best person for the job in about 6 months. Captain of the Western Force needs to return to being position that needs to be earned and continue to be earned. Hodgson has earned the position now. I'd like to see him continue to earn it.

Also, our squad isn't complete yet. I think everyone deserves a say in who is their captain. That can't happen until we've signed the full squad.

You also have to wonder a bit about the role of captain. Both Hodgson and Charles are niggly kinds of players. Sheehan too. Perhaps those are the roles that they are best suited to and someone like Sam Wykes would make a better captain. You can't dispute Hodgson as the Force's #1 club man but I wouldn't want to see him stop doing what he does best.

I sincerely doubt that the captain position will ever be used as a recruiting carrot for a player not already in the team.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    People have jumped up in arms about that but I don't see it as a big deal.

If he is the best person for the job, he will very much likely still be the best person for the job in about 6 months. Captain of the Western Force needs to return to being position that needs to be earned and continue to be earned. Hodgson has earned the position now. I'd like to see him continue to earn it.

Also, our squad isn't complete yet. I think everyone deserves a say in who is their captain. That can't happen until we've signed the full squad.

You also have to wonder a bit about the role of captain. Both Hodgson and Charles are niggly kinds of players. Sheehan too. Perhaps those are the roles that they are best suited to and someone like Sam Wykes would make a better captain. You can't dispute Hodgson as the Force's #1 club man but I wouldn't want to see him stop doing what he does best.

I sincerely doubt that the captain position will ever be used as a recruiting carrot for a player not already in the team.
    Agreed James, if you need to hang the captaincy as a carrot I doubt they are worth it.
    Hodgos got it and let's wait and see, I hope he doesn't lose his niggle but it is harder for the captain to get away with.
    He has a great off field personality which is an asset but can he use that on the pitch with the ref, I don't seee why not.
    Good luck Hodgo.

May the FORCE be with you!

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    How did Norton-Knight get 18 votes? He hasn't played for us and isn't guaranteed a starting spot.

In other news I'd like to welcome Sam's family and friends to TWF.

coz Stone Cold says so

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I feel a bit sorry for Ben Whittaker, even an unknown International managed votes...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I feel a bit sorry for Ben Whittaker, even an unknown International managed votes...
    I have faith that Vern will announce Whittaker as captain, and Ebersohn as vice captain.

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I dunno, he can say he was only 4 votes behind an AllBlack back in a vote for the captaincy......it's all about looking for the half-full

C'mon the