Thread: New South Wales Waratahs centre Tom Carter considering switch to rugby league

vCash

New South Wales Waratahs centre Tom Carter considering switch to rugby league

there are good points and bad points in this article.

the good: carter f**king off to leauge

the really REALLY REALLY bad: the idea of the force approaching carter... he is NOT the kind of player we want here. he does not represent the game in a positive light.

HOME RUGBY SUPER RUGBY WARATAHS CENTRE IN LEAGUE TALKS
    By Iain Payten The Sunday Telegraph July 01, 2012 10:47AM

In a shock development, Carter is all but certain to leave the Waratahs next season and has been in talks with several rugby league clubs in Sydney about a possible code switch.

Carter is being targeted as a backrower in rugby league, with his size - 100kg and 1.89m - and hard hole-running and defence seen as suited to the right edge.

The 29-year-old has also been approached by a rival Australian Super Rugby province, which is understood to be Western Force.

There has also been interest from Japan.

"We have had preliminary discussions with a couple of rugby league clubs, and at this stage he has interest from another province," Ed Carter, brother and manager of Tom, said.

"At this stage, it looks like he is more than likely not going to be at NSW."

Carter played rugby league as a junior in Young before moving to Sydney to attend a rugby-playing school.

With his eight-year association with the Waratahs at an end, Carter is pursuing the option of NRL as a means of staying in Sydney due to family circumstances.

"The decision for him is based around the fact he is pretty keen to stay here, as opposed to going overseas, because with the right opportunity he still thinks he can play some decent football," Ed Carter said.

The abrasive No.12 has carved a starting spot for the Waratahs in the past five seasons with a combative game that sees him crash the ball into and through defensive lines.

The last man to make a switch from rugby to league was Sam Harris, who played centre for the Waratahs in stints either side of five years playing in the back row for Manly, Wests Tigers and City Origin.

Harris believes Carter would be good league player.

"Me and Tommy used to talk about that all the time in my last years with NSW, he was always looking over the fence and wondering about league," Harris said.

"He'd be a really good league player, to be honest. He's big and strong, he's fast and he's very fit, probably at the high standard league players require.

"He's got the right sort of shape, not too tall, a bit compact like the leaguies.

"And he's done really well to hold down a spot with the Waratahs for five years.

"Stuff he gets criticised for in rugby wouldn't be involved in league. He'd be good to put on a right edge, he runs good lines and would look after your halfback in defence."

Carter's on-field persona - he's regarded as one of the game's most vocal sledgers - divides opinion, but it also masks his effectiveness as rugby a centre.

Last year, Carter made the most tackles of all Australian centres in Super Rugby and also had the highest tackle percentage (91.5 per cent). His run metres, tackle busts and linebreaks all rank highly.

Teammates and coaches also swear by Carter as the man who does the one-percenters such as kick-chasing and defensive double-ups.

The Sydney Uni product made his debut on the wing for NSW in 2004 but had to wait until 2008 to make his Super Rugby debut. Since then he's played 70 games.

Ed Carter said it had been a tough for his brother to make a decision to move on.

"He has really enjoyed his time and he'd hoped to continue to play there. He has a lot of respect for the people there," Ed Carter said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/su...ce=twitterfeed

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post

HOME RUGBY SUPER RUGBY WARATAHS CENTRE IN LEAGUE TALKS
    By Iain Payten The Sunday Telegraph July 01, 2012 10:47AM

In a shock development, Carter is all but certain to leave the Waratahs next season and has been in talks with several rugby league clubs in Sydney about a possible code switch.

High ranking sauces at the Coogee Bay Rex reported that Carter's manager had approached the Wombats but he had been told "No way we want that mouthy powder blue git around our club. He'd be much more suited to the Northern Beaches".

Talks are apparently continuing with the Narrabeen Sharks and Belrose Eagles. But the sauce added "Yeah right, good luck with that. But I think Japan would a better option."

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    DO NOT GET CARTER!!!

Not that potty mouth one anyway, feel free to get the Kiwi version.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash

Tom Carter - I do hope not

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7858626,00.html

This man is a petulant @"$ckhead. I really hope they don't sign him.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Please...there's been all the usual stories about league as well. Maybe he's not getting any love from the 'Tahs?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    As Marto let slip on Fox show "even his team mates dont like him"

vCash
    Marquee signing for the West Coast Pirates?

vCash
    He will fit right into a league team He might even be one of the more clever dudes playing league ( not that that is much of an achievement though)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    Marquee signing for the West Coast Pirates?
    He can't be Captain....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    He can't be Captain....
    Captain Cockhead has a ring to it

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    so help me, if the Force signed Carter I really would toss in my membership.

I am disturbed to hear they approached him, I'm hoping it was him approaching them, who politely declined. If one of EWF DID approach him, they should be immediately fired!!

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    so help me, if the Force signed Carter I really would toss in my membership.

I am disturbed to hear they approached him, I'm hoping it was him approaching them, who politely declined. If one of EWF DID approach him, they should be immediately fired!!
    As reported elsewhere here...His Manager approached the Force.

vCash
    Slightly off topic, but I see the Tahs are offering half price tix to this weekend's game against the top-of-the-conference Ponies!!

Yep, that's how awesome they've been this season Messrs Growden, Kearns et al

Rookie
    vCash
    I couldn't care less what he says to the opposition.They're not there to be admired and respected,they're there to be beaten.If Carter comes West,plays well and helps us win games,I'll shout support for him all season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by onions View Post
    I couldn't care less what he says to the opposition.They're not there to be admired and respected,they're there to be beaten.If Carter comes West,plays well and helps us win games,I'll shout support for him all season.
    I note you don't watch him play much. If he was an attacking threat people will respect him no matter how much of an arsehole he is..........Ali Williams comes to mind.

He's a prat and a useless rugby player end of story!

C'mon the