Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Force make three year offer to Waratahs coach Michael Foley

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The Force management couldn't possibly be this monumentally stupid. We just re-signed Nic Stiles 2 weeks ago. Why would we want another head coach who fills the same role? The only possible reason I could think of is that this might tempt David Pocock to stay but I just don't think he's worth it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Let's not forget that Ewan McKenzie had a similar record with the Waratahs.
    Errrmmm....didn't link take Tahrds to the grand final?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    The waves of hysteria following the desertion of Graham and the subsequent imperative to hang on to Pocock have forced their hand. I don't know why so many of our supporters think the board can simply wave a wand and magically announce an experienced elite coach to come to a Rugby frontier which is struggling. Seems they went all out to get Cheika and couldn't come to terms. Was that because he demanded complete autonomy over the squad? After the experience with a well credentialled coach who operated like that and has subsequently f@cked up again could the board risk having the same again? I know little about Chieka but was uneasy about him from the start and preferred others - on the record here. The board seemingly found the other applicants lacking. I have heaps of admiration for Matt Hodgson and Ben McCalman, to of the hardest and most consistent players we've had, bar none. I'm willing to accept their opinion of Mike Foley - if he agrees.

As I've said here, it's pretty tough to expect him to undo a couple of decades of under performance and boring team ethos in one season. It took a while for Wayne Bennett to turn Saints around too - and Newcastle.

We need a new coach. We need to keep the captain. That's it. We have the makings of a competitive team. Let's just get on and board and leave the management to do their best.

Last edited by shasta; 22-07-12 at 08:38.
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    We need a new coach. We need to keep the captain. That's it. We have the makings of a competitive team. Let's just get on and board and leave the management to do their best.[/QUOTE]

It's your last sentence that worries me.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I'm not happy with their record but I've got no choice right now apart from letting them know via the survey. It's up to the member clibs to make changes to the board. But things need to move now. So get on with it. The preseason is just around the corner. That's it.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    foley?....seriously?....rugby WA, the joke that keeps on giving!.........

Senior Player
    vCash
    Agree with all you have said, Shasta. Poey, Hodgo and Benny Mac will all know Foley from his time with the Wallabies. So they know what they are in for.

But if we do get Foley, we need a coach who knows about attacking backline play to assist him The forwards were the least of our worries this year.

Oh, and we need to recruit really well too, obviously.

I think he's a better prospect then Chieka.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    The waves of hysteria following the desertion of Graham and the subsequent imperative to hang on to Pocock have forced their hand. I don't know why so many of our supporters think the board can simply wave a wand and magically announce an experienced elite coach to come to a Rugby frontier which is struggling. Seems they went all out to get Cheika and couldn't come to terms. Was that because he demanded complete autonomy over the squad? After the experience with a well credentialled coach who operated like that and has subsequently f@cked up again could the board risk having the same again? I know little about Chieka but was uneasy about him from the start and preferred others - on the record here. The board seemingly found the other applicants lacking. I have heaps of admiration for Matt Hodgson and Ben McCalman, to of the hardest and most consistent players we've had, bar none. I'm willing to accept their opinion of Mike Foley - if he agrees.
    Do we want an experienced elite coach? Most of the comments I have seen are pro Todd Louden or pro Scott Johnson. I don't think Cheika is a good idea. But I think Michael Foley is a worse idea.

This is another reaction to circumstances. Why didn't the Force have been contingency plan for if Cheika said no?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    What I find disturbing about all of this is an earlier story that suggested that most of the NSWRU operation would end up here and now this. The clean could be much bigger than expected. Careful what you wish for.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    One thing that needs to be looked at is who the hell is leeking all this information?!!!!!! Assuming it is true of course.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Most of the comments I have seen are pro Todd Louden or pro Scott Johnson.
    ...and I probably made some of them. IF the article is acurate and IF Foley ends up here so be it. I don't know what the selection panel found lacking in Louden & Johnstone but the did. IF it happens I'm just saying that I don't lay the blame for the Tahs' malaise at Foleys door & hope that baggage stays in Sydney.

The last ex-Wallaby forwards & ex-NSW coach did OK when he inherited a young motivated team - until last night.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    It took a while for Wayne Bennett to turn Saints around too
    Minor Premiers first year at Saints (when they pipped the Bulldogs for it at the death)

Premiers as well as Minor Premiers second year at Saints as well as the World Club Challenge

I wouldn't call that a while
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    OK Newcastle then. Old farts are supposed to have fuzzy memories and I can't be arse with Wiki.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    IF there is ANY truth in this RWA have proved that they are a bunch of unprofessional idiots.
    In the mean time........OWTF
    I have been saying this for a while...you had been ridiculing me for months about my honest statements. Cheers

vCash
    OK Newcastle then. Old farts are supposed to have fuzzy memories and I can't be arse with Wiki.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Even though he is the first year of a 4 year deal

Saints > Newcastle

True story

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jargan83; 22-07-12 at 11:13.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast