Thread: CRUSADERS BLUNT SHARPE SEND-OFF

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

CRUSADERS BLUNT SHARPE SEND-OFF

A spirited second-half comeback by the Emirates Western Force has not been enough to overcome a strong Crusaders outfit, going down 38-24 at AMI Stadium in Christchurch tonight.

While the visitors were intent on sending off inaugural captain Nathan Sharpe in winning fashion in his 162nd and final FxPro Super Rugby appearance, the 32-3 half-time deficit had the visitors reeling with a potentially record-breaking defeat imminent. However, the Emirates Western Force rallied after the break to run in the only three tries of the second half and push the Cantabrians through to the full-time whistle.

Emirates Western Force Defence & Skills Coach Phil Blake said the second half effort ensured his side would have a foundation to build on heading into 2013.

“We’re a very young group,” he said. “For the new coach coming in, looking at that last 40 minutes, it’s not all doom and gloom. There’s plenty there to work with and it’s a nice way to end the season and something to hang your hat on moving forward.

“At half time the scoreboard was looking a little ugly on our behalf, but to the credit of our boys we stuck to it. We made a little promise to ourselves at half time that we would go out and win that second half and we did.”

Speaking after his 92nd appearance for the West Australians, Sharpe said the Crusaders’ first half performance was the most impressive he’d experienced this season.

“While we would have liked to win, it is what it is and I thought we finished strongly which is pleasing for the team moving forward next year,” he said.

“We addressed our issues at the breakdown and we got some field position and didn’t turn the ball over. The Crusaders are a very good team at turning the ball over and making the most of those opportunities, and they did that well in the first half.

“One of the hardest things over the past few weeks was that we had our final home game a few weeks ago and so it’s been a pretty emotional three weeks for me, so I’m pretty weary from that. Every day someone’s asking me what it’s like for my last game and so in many ways I’m glad it’s done and dusted but at the same time sad because I’ve had a fantastic time at the Force. I’ve been there since the inception and seen so many good people come there and grow there and I’m confident that the guys who will be there next year will do a fantastic job.”

The first half was a forgettable affair for the Emirates Western Force with a lack of ball control cruelling any chance to post points, while last year’s runners-up found space seemingly at will and capitalised by running in their fourth try bonus point in the 37th minute.

The Emirates Western Force’s nightmare began in the first minute of the match when TMO Vinnie Munro awarded fullback Israel Dagg a try before Sean Maitland looped off his wing and outpaced the defence to score his side’s second 14 minutes later.

A 26th-minute Ben Seymour penalty goal would be the Emirates Western Force’s only contribution to the scoreboard in the first stanza – an effort that was quickly negated when opposing pivot Dan Carter added a three-pointer of his own shortly afterwards.

The Crusaders rounded out the half when scrumhalf Andy Ellis burrowed over from short distance and flanker Matt Todd crossed untouched down the blindside to secure the bonus point and help set up at 29-point buffer at the break.

However, the half-time stoppage proved the catalyst for the Force fight-back combined with replacement flyhalf Kyle Godwin’s injection into the match. The Australian Under 20 playmaker was barely on the field for two minutes when he reeled in a loose pass to stumble across the line for his maiden FxPro Super Rugby try.

Seven minutes later, the 20-year-old was in the thick of the action again, this time delivering the inside ball to allow fullback Alfie Mafi to slip through one tackle and carry another three defenders across the line to score, presenting Brett Sheehan with a straightforward attempt for his second successful conversion.

With the Emirates Western Force treasuring and maintaining the possession that had eluded them in the first half, they continued to build pressure through the latter stages of the match. This resulted in the sin-binning of Crusaders flanker George Whitelock for repeated ruck infringements and contributed to the string of penalties that would eventually allow replacement scrumhalf Josh Holmes to combine with Lachlan McCaffrey to score his first try for the province.

Godwin’s conversion completed the scoring at 38-24, and while his side was unable to provide Sharpe with an appropriate farewell on the scoreboard, he received a fitting send-off from his teammates when they formed a tunnel to applaud their captain from the ground.

2012 FxPro Super Rugby – Week 21
    Saturday, 14 July 2012 at AMI (Addington) Park, Christchurch
    Kick-off: 7.35 (local)/3.35pm (AWST)

Emirates Western Force 24 (Tries: K Godwin, A Mafi, J Holmes; Con: B Sheehan 2/2, K Godwin 1/1; Pen: B Seymour 1/1)
    Crusaders 38 (Tries: I Dagg, S Maitland, A Ellis, M Todd; Con: D Carter 3/4; Pen: D Carter 2/2, T Taylor 2/2)

Emirates Western Force: 1. Tetera Faulkner, 2.Nathan Charles, 3.Salesi Manu, 4.Toby Lynn, 5.Nathan Sharpe (c), 6.Angus Cottrell, 7.Richard Brown, 8.Lachlan McCaffrey, 9. Brett Sheehan, 10.Ben Seymour, 11.Napolioni Nalaga, 12.Rory Sidey, 13.Patrick Dellit, 14.Nick Cummins, 15.Alfie Mafi. Res: 16.Ben Whittaker, 17.Ruan Smith, 18. Pek Cowan, 19.Oliver Atkins, 20.Josh Holmes, 21.Kyle Godwin, 22.Will Tupou

Crusaders: 1.Ben Franks, 2.Corey Flynn, 3.Owen Franks, 4.Luke Romano, 5.Tom Donnelly, 6.George Whitelock, 7.Matt Todd, 8.Richie McCaw (c), 9.Andy Ellis, 10.Dan Carter, 11.Zac Guildford, 12.Ryan Crotty, 13.Adam Whitelock, 14.Sean Maitland, 15.Israel Dagg. Res: 16.Quentin MacDonald, 17.Wyatt Crockett, 18.Samuel Whitelock, 19.Luke Whitelock, 20.Willie Heinz, 21.Tom Taylor, 22.Robbie Fruean

Yellow Cards: G Whitelock (75th minute)
    Red Cards: nil
    Referee: Glen Jackson
    Crowd: 14,000

By the Clock

Min Details Score
    1 Israel Dagg Try 5-0
    2 Daniel Carter Conversion 7-0
    15 Sean Maitland Try 12-0
    17 Daniel Carter Missed Con 12-0
    28 Ben Seymour Penalty Goal 12-3
    31 Daniel Carter Penalty Goal 15-3
    35 Andrew Ellis Try 20-3
    36 Daniel Carter Conversion 22-3
    37 Matt Todd Try 27-3
    39 Daniel Carter Conversion 29-3
    40 Daniel Carter Penalty Goal 32-3
    50 Tom Taylor Penalty Goal 35-3
    53 Kyle Godwin Try 35-8
    54 Brett Sheehan Conversion 35-10
    60 Alfie Mafi Try 35-15
    61 Brett Sheehan Conversion 35-17
    64 Tom Taylor Penalty Goal 38-17
    75 George Whitelock Sin Bin 38-17
    78 Josh Holmes Try 38-22
    79 Kyle Godwin Conversion 38-24

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Shouldn't that read Vinny Munro blunts Sharpe send off?

vCash
    What is it with us this year - cr*p 1st half and excellent 2nd half in how many games?

vCash
    too many..........were slow starters, the opposition are always 20+ up before we start playing......!

vCash
    Did the TMO get man of the match?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I think he wants to go on holiday for the next 3 weeks.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    I think he wants to go on holiday for the next 3 weeks.
    OK - send him to Perth

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    OK - send him to Perth
    Yeah to the "Wild West"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    OK - send him to Perth
    We will have to welcome him at the airport and take him for a personal tour.....
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Just watched the vid highlights..WTF?????? Even the kiwi commentators both on fox and radio couldn't believe the 1st try and 3rd tries. Second try by Maitland was a good running try. Love the way both team played apart from that. Hope we can take some lessons on how to play good expansive rugby from them. Nice to see that the commentators gave the Force respect, and give credits to Godwin and Sharpie. I usually only watch Fox Rugby at the pub, so I don't normally hear the commentators, but I found both the kiwi radio and Fox ones to be quite OK..seemingly better than the Aussie ones from everyone elses comments

Last edited by andrewM; 15-07-12 at 12:40.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Just watched the vid highlights..WTF?????? Even the kiwi commentators both on fox and radio couldn't believe the 1st try and 3rd tries. Second try by Maitland was a good running try. Love the way both team played apart from that. Hope we can take some lessons on how to play good expansive rugby from them. Nice to see that the commentators gave the Force respect, and give credits to Godwin and Sharpie. I usually only watch Fox Rugby at the pub, so I don't normally hear the commentators, but I found both the radio and Fox ones to be quite OK..seemingly better than the Aussie ones from everyone elses comments
    The Kiwi and SAF commentators are nearly always unbiased and give credit were credit is due.
    Our lot of one eyed dicks could learn a bit if they listened.

vCash
    Posted via Mobile Device
    And he also won the meat tray in the raffle!......

vCash
    I hope the rissoles are off!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Nice to see that the commentators gave the Force respect, and give credits to Godwin and Sharpie.
    Did you here Sharpie's comment to the ref when we got held up over the line late in the second - quick as flash "They got a couple a cheapies (what about giving us one)" Classic Sharpie - gunna miss you mate

vCash

Rugby: Ellis happy for TMO to have greater powers

Posted via Mobile Device
    Check this out...

Although greater TMO powers might not necessarily have changed the above decisions, Ellis, for one, is an advocate of using technology to get things right.

"I've always said that," Ellis said. "...You can get your decisions right all the time.... And then there's no controversy.