Thread: SHARPE RETURNS FOR FINAL FORCE HURRAH

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

SHARPE RETURNS FOR FINAL FORCE HURRAH

Lock Nathan Sharpe will return to the starting line-up as captain for his final match with the Emirates Western Force against the Crusaders in Christchurch on Saturday night.

The 34-year-old, who will complete his rugby career with the Wallabies during the inaugural Rugby Championship later this year, was forced out of last weekend’s match against the Blues in Auckland just hours before kick-off with a back injury. He will resume his place in the second row for a record 162nd FxPro Super Rugby cap.

“My back’s fine, I got through today’s session and I should be right for the game,” Sharpe said.

“I’ve been focusing more on getting my injury right this week and so I haven’t thought too much about it being my last game. Tomorrow will be my last training session and then into my final game with the Force on Saturday – it’s something that’s exciting but bittersweet at the same time.

“As far as Saturday goes, you don’t get a tougher challenge in Super Rugby than playing the Crusaders in Christchurch and it’d be fantastic to come over and put together a great performance against them.”

Sharpe’s inclusion is one of four new faces in the starting XV with Tetera Faulkner earning his first run-on start against last year’s competition runners-up, having previously received caps off the bench against the Rebels (in 2011) and Blues last weekend.

The Emirates Western Force will unleash a new midfield combination with Rory Sidey replacing the injured Winston Stanley (dislocated shoulder) at inside centre and Pat Dellit promoted off the bench in favour of Will Tupou.

Emirates Western Force Defence & Skills Coach Phil Blake says his side will be looking for a positive end to the FxPro Super Rugby season, not least of all to provide a fitting farewell to the club’s inaugural captain.

“We’re looking for individuals to embrace the challenge before them on Saturday and if we can do that as individuals, then collectively we’ll get the result that we want,” Blake said.

“It’s great to have Sharpie back for his last game; he brings a lot of composure and experience and we’ll look to that on Saturday night. It’s been terrific to see him back training and it’ll be great to see him back on the field on Saturday night.”

The Emirates Western Force bench has also been revamped with Pek Cowan, Will Tupou and last weekend’s debutante Ollie Atkins, who started in place of Sharpe against the Blues, all reverting back to the reserves list.

2012 FxPro Super Rugby – Week 21
    Emirates Western Force v Crusaders
    Saturday, 14 July 2012 at AMI (Addington) Stadium, Christchurch
    Kick-off: 7.35pm (local)/3.35pm (AWST)

1. Tetera Faulkner
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Salesi Manu
    4. Toby Lynn
    5. Nathan Sharpe (c)
    6. Richard Brown
    7. Angus Cottrell
    8. Lachlan McCaffrey

9. Brett Sheehan
    10. Ben Seymour
    11. Napolioni Nalaga
    12. Rory Sidey
    13. Patrick Dellit
    14. Nick Cummins
    15. Alfie Mafi

16. Ben Whittaker
    17. Ruan Smith
    18. Pek Cowan
    19. Ollie Atkins
    20. Josh Holmes
    21. Kyle Godwin
    22. Will Tupou

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Start Godwin

And too bad if one of the back rowers goes down. why have 2 props on the bench esp when Pek in there. I dont get it bring on next year new start with a REAL coach.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Why would they put some new faces in there, then leave Godwin on the bench?? Makes no sense to me whatsoever. If they're gonna put the youngsters on, he should be the first!!

"How hard can it be?"

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    What they said...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    a game with nothing to lose - why not give anare a proper chance otherwise what was the point in bring him on tour? instead of having 3 frontrowers and a lock on the bench :/
    hopefully kyle gets a bit more of a run this game

vCash
    What a great picture of "my boy" when we log in.. ...ooooops back to topic...sorrrrreeeee!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Sharpe returns for Force Super farewell

Veteran Western Force lock Nathan Sharpe will get the chance to have one final Super Rugby hurrah when he fronts up for Saturday's clash with the Crusaders in Christchurch.

Sharpe missed last week's loss to the Blues after his back locked up just hours before the match.

The 34-year-old had already announced he would retire at season's end, and was in serious doubt for the Crusaders match.

But Sharpe has recovered well and will take his place in the Force side in what will be his 162nd and final Super appearance.

"My back's fine, I got through today's session and I should be right for the game," Sharpe said.

The Crusaders have a healthy respect for Sharpe, but they're determined the veteran lock's Super Rugby send-off will be a losing one.

Crusaders coach Todd Blackadder believes emotions will be high in Sharpe's farewell game but says the home side can't afford to get caught up in the fanfare.

A win over the second-bottom Force would guarantee the Crusaders a home quarter-final.

"He's the main go-to guy in the lineouts for them and in the go-forward as well," Blackadder said of Sharpe.

"He's a big ball-carrier and with it being his last game I expect there will be a few emotions. They've got nothing to lose, which makes them even more dangerous."

Blackadder has made three changes to the starting line-up from the 28-21 win over competition leaders the Chiefs.

Lock Sam Whitelock and centre Robbie Fruean have been given a spell on the bench, with Tom Donnelly and Sean Maitland taking their places.

No.8 Kieran Read's rib injury means skipper Richie McCaw will again move to the back of the scrum, with Matt Todd coming into the openside flanker spot.

The Force will unleash a new midfield combination with Rory Sidey replacing the injured Winston Stanley (dislocated shoulder) at inside centre and Pat Dellit promoted off the bench in favour of Will Tupou.
    Force: Alfie Mafi, Nick Cummins, Patrick Dellit, Rory Sidey, Napolioni Nalaga, Ben Seymour, Brett Sheehan, Lachlan McCaffrey, Angus Cottrell, Richard Brown, Nathan Sharpe (capt), Toby Lynn, Salesi Manu, Nathan Charles, Tetera Faulkner. Res: Ben Whittaker, Ruan Smith, Pek Cowan, Ollie Atkins, Josh Holmes, Kyle Godwin, Will Tupou

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...uper-farewell/

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Nothing to lose now, go for broke play like barbarians and throw the ball around. (to Sharpie.... and Nalaga).
    Go the mighty, mighty F O R C E. Nail this one for Sharpie!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    What odds for number of hit ups by Sharpie?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I am surprised Pek was dropped to the bench. I thought he has the All Blacks front rows' measure last week.

vCash
    Can only think they're giving Tetera some experience or maybe he's not 100%. But you're right, Pek was awesome last week.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Possibly a link between Pek on the bench and two on the bench?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.